Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008

Stevyboy is on a distinguished road
What's a good dingy...

So for everyone that read my last thread, I'm thinking about sailing my boat down the California coast from SF to Ventura. I'm curious on what would be a good dingy to get for the trip, and should I tow it or mount the dingy, and if so where to mount it.

My boat is a 1973 Cal 27. On the trip there will probably be 3-4 people aboard. I'm planning on just port hopping my way down the Pacific coast; SF, HMB, Monteray, Morrowbay, Avila, Santa Barbara, and then Ventura.

The dingy is going to first be used for safty just incase something happens, and to be used to take us to land and back if we moore out, such as we will in Avila.

would it be smart to build a mount for the dingy on the back railing of the boat? or just have it lay upside down on the foredeck of the boat?

Or would it be the best idea to tow it even though it'll slow me up?

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2008

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger
have a look at the walker bay with the inner tube, I have an eight footer and can stand on the side tube and it will not flip over
Old 02-27-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You need a life raft in a bag. You can rent one for the trip. Rent an EPIRB too!
California:
Avalon Rafts - Wilmington 310-549-9665
Coast Marine – San Francisco 415-673-1923
Sal’s Inflatable Services – Alameda 510-522-1824
Hewett Industrial Supply – San Francisco 415-371-1054
Old 02-27-2008

from where?

SF area?
Old 02-27-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I made that trip from SF to SD last May, and while I can't tell you what dingy to get, I can tell you how much you'll really need one. All the places that you said you're going to stop at have transient slips, except possibly Morro Bay (some transient slips and Mooring balls) and Avila (Mooring balls only). At Avila (Point San Luis) they have a water taxi service that runs on donations, and it ran every two hours during the day light hours. We took at dingy with us on our trip, but the only time we really used it was at Two Harbors in Catalina. If I was making that trip again, I'd just store the dingy on the boat.
Old 02-27-2008

Thanks a lot jiffylube. Yeah I'm going to bring one or a liferaft for sure, it'll be my first big trip so i'm a little worried, thats if i actually do go and not tow the boat down there. So putting the dingy on board is my best bet.. thats good to know. thanks. now i'm just going to have to find the right dingy unless i rent.

Steve
Old 02-27-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Stevy...Two differences between a dinghy and a life raft.
1. You have to blow up a dinghy. I liferaft self inflates. You just might not have 20 minutes on a stable deck to pump up a dinghy!
2. If it is rough...you and the dinghy will be upside down in the cold channel current...a life raft is stable.
Given your experience and an untested boat...rent a raft if you go.
Old 02-28-2008

Thanks camaraderie... I understand what you were saying, but i was planning on having the raft inflated before we set sail and made sure it was inflated everyday just so we wouldn't have to worry about that in case of an emergency... although i guess i would have to worry about untieing it if we were in an emergency. hmmm something to think about.

Also i'm still looking for a good brand name for the dingy (considering that if we don't have a dingy i'll rent a life raft before we go). I'm probably going to buy this inflatable dingy used but i would still like to go with a quality name.

Does it sound feasable to buy the dingy and then sell it once we've made our voyage? Hoping that I can get all or most of my money back?
Old 02-28-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
In this economy I think renting would be the better way to go, especially since you're planning on getting rid of the dingy after the trip.

Don't be afraid of the trip. Go at a good time around Spring, and watch the weather. Port hopping will let you come into a port everyday (no night sailing required), and stay as long as you need to because of weather conditions. When we came down we had to layover in Montery for 10 days because of a storm around Pt Conception...but I can't think of a better place to layover! Once you get around Pt. Conception you'll be in Southern California, and the conditions all change. Call ahead to the next port if you want to check conditions, as that may give you some peace and mind.
Old 02-28-2008

thesnort is on a distinguished road
One you might not have heard of is the Tinker. It's English and very expensive, but can be rigged to sail and/or used as a liferaft with a canopy. It packs up into something like 3x4x2 feet. The mast (3 parts), sails, daggerboard, etc... go in a separate bag.