Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008
17' siren sailor

Wkboarder222 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Wkboarder222
Smile Siren 17' marathon key trip

I'm taking my trailerable sailboat to the keys for a spring break trip with a couple of my friends. Anyone know of a good boat ramp around mile maker 58? Middle of the keys? Also Is my 17footer capeable of sailing out to any good snorkeling coral reefs? considering the weather conditions are good. If so, do you know the names or locations? I have a gps on her so if you have the plot numbers I can just punch them in. Any good sailing destinations would help. I was just thinkin about cruisin to some spoil islands. Fresh paint for trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Siren 17' marathon key trip-my-sailboat-fresh-paint-ready-trip.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2008

kananumpua is on a distinguished road
I have no advice for you, just jelous as hell.

I do have two questions though. How many of you are going to be on the boat and are you planning on camping ashore?

I also see that your a wakeboarder. I'll be down at OWC in orlando for a couple days over the break.

Have great time
Old 02-28-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
There's some ramps around Marathon, MM50, or the Isamalroda area,MM85. Most of the area between is bridges. Local maps show some dive spots, but don't know of any good snorkling spots, but there must be some, as they do have snorkling charters here in Marathon.

You might try googling snorkling and middle keys for more info. There are free mooring balls either side of Lower Matecombe Key, and with your apparent shallow draft, you should have some choices of fairly sheltered anchorages.

You can use this link Tampa Bay Area Marine Weather Page
to get an idea of what the weather and seas are like in the area.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2008

cjmcfall is on a distinguished road
Wkboarder222,

I had a Siren 17 back in college, fun little boat. We used to go camping, in much colder water than the Keys, for the weekends during the summers.

There are many good snorkeling spots down in the keys that are accessible by the Siren. Its been a few years since I was living there, so I can't remember all the names of the reefs, but I am sure a google search will help. If you have a motor, or are confident in your sailing ability, don't miss Boot Key Harbor. I lived on the hook for about a year there, many old salts.

Day sailing around Key west would be fun. Anyway, have fun and be safe!
Old 02-28-2008
17' siren sailor

Wkboarder222 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Wkboarder222
There will be 4 of us total. We have reservations at Bonefish resort. it turned out to be only 115 each for the hotel. So we decided to do that instead of camp. I was really into wakeboarding before I went to college, my parents have a MC x1. I was thinking of mooring so I wouldnt have to take the sailboat apart everytime. Is Lower Matecombe Key have a place that would be shallow enough to walk out to the boat? considering I don't have a dingy. I do have a new 2hp honda, so I'm not worried about getting stranded. I plan on cheaking out some of those reefs.
Old 02-28-2008

cjmcfall is on a distinguished road
Wkb222,

I forgot to mention earlier. One of my favorite little anchorages is Indian Key. It is located just north of Lower Matecombe Key.

I know there are some good snorkeling spots off of Duck Key too. Your best bet is to contact a local dive shop.

Make sure you send us lots of pictures when you get back.
Old 03-04-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkboarder222 View Post
I'm taking my trailerable sailboat to the keys for a spring break trip with a couple of my friends. Anyone know of a good boat ramp around mile maker 58? Middle of the keys? Also Is my 17footer capeable of sailing out to any good snorkeling coral reefs? considering the weather conditions are good. If so, do you know the names or locations? I have a gps on her so if you have the plot numbers I can just punch them in. Any good sailing destinations would help. I was just thinkin about cruisin to some spoil islands. Fresh paint for trip.
Nice Siren, looks exactly like mine (except mine doesn't have a bow rail)

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 05-06-2009

raywhittaker is on a distinguished road
Looking for Advice

I am new to sailing and I just bought a Siren 17, which needs new paint. I noticed that you painted the hull of your boat solid white. I have been told that I need to use bottom paint for the underside of the hull and a different type of paint for the topside of the hull. Obviously, you do not believe that this is necessary. What did you do? What type of paint did you use? I am looking for some guidance and I would really appreciate the advice. Thanks, Ray.
Old 05-07-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I have been told that I need to use bottom paint for the underside of the hull and a different type of paint for the topside of the hull.
If you plan to keep your boat on a trailer when you are not sailing, you do not need to use different paint on the bottom. If the boat will left on a mooring or in a slip though, the bottom paint is a good idea.

The special bottom paints are called anti-fouling paints and have component ingredients that are toxic to some types of marine life - specifically - the kind that like to set up hoousekeeping on your keel. The unwanted growth can slow you down, block intakes and vents, and in the case of your Siren they could conceivably interefer with the operation of your centerboard.
Old 05-07-2009

WheresTheBrakes is on a distinguished road
Is there still room on the Jealous as Hell bus ???
Snorkeling area in the keys, the whole place is a snorkeling area !!!
Look for deep cuts where the surf goes into a "marina" and jump off and look for lobsters.. bring a net, grill, butter and beer..
Please do a back flip off the bow rail for me if you get a chance..

We had a trip planned for early Dec. that fell through, the trailer wouldn't make it, so we ended up in Europe in Jan instead...
Trailer sailing from here is the way to go.. 3 weeks by water, 14 hours by land !!!

Joey

--------------------
1984 Starwind 22
"Julianne"