Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Can you give us some details?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2011

Chris King is on a distinguished road
I started this thread 3 years ago and I was kind of surprised to see a new post when I logged on this evening.

I own hull #4, Puffin, berthed in Pt Richmond Ca (San Francisco Bay).
Old 12-28-2011

jcarterwil is on a distinguished road
Our family bought the boat (second hand) in the late 80s. We actively sailed it and took very good care of her. My father died in the late 90's. Since then its been hard to think about selling it. The boat has been out of the water since about 2000, in the yard. Top sides were awl griped blue in 2003 or so, but the boat was never splashed (though every other year the yard sticks the boat in the water to run the engine for a bit) It has full set of sails, electronics, etc. It needs some good cleaning inside and out, plus some teak work. I truly love this boat, but I live in the mid-west now so its hard to justify owning it, and moving it to lake Michigan would be a sin given her blue water heritage.
Old 12-28-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarterwil View Post
Our family bought the boat (second hand) in the late 80s. We actively sailed it and took very good care of her. My father died in the late 90's. Since then its been hard to think about selling it. The boat has been out of the water since about 2000, in the yard. Top sides were awl griped blue in 2003 or so, but the boat was never splashed (though every other year the yard sticks the boat in the water to run the engine for a bit) It has full set of sails, electronics, etc. It needs some good cleaning inside and out, plus some teak work. I truly love this boat, but I live in the mid-west now so its hard to justify owning it, and moving it to lake Michigan would be a sin given her blue water heritage.
Can you email me at omni1595@gmail.com?
Old 12-28-2011

fecklessdolphin is on a distinguished road
where is it listed

I do not find a listing on yachtworld for a boat with that name
Old 01-10-2012

dyawl is on a distinguished road
aldden 44

Hi Jcarterwil,
I noticed your post concerning your Alden 44 that might be for sale. They are on my short list for replacing our beloved Alajuela 38 with something bigger.

Please note, I am not a broker but a private individual in St. Petersburg.

Let me know if she's still for sale. I can be reached at 727-525-4700 in the day. dennisdwilcoxon@gmail.com by email.
Thanks,
Dennis
Old 07-14-2013
Alden 44

Fortunes Afloat is on a distinguished road
Re: Alden 44 owners

Hello, is anyone there?
We just purchased hull #36. Used to be named Exile, but we have renamed her Thistle. We plan to spend a year or so refurbishing her, then go cruising again. We'd love to share information with other Alden 44 owners.
Old 07-17-2013

fecklessdolphin is on a distinguished road

Congrats. I had the opportunity to look at Exile a couple of years ago. Beautiful boat. I think they were asking a bit more and I was not yet ready to pull the trigger anyhow. I esp like this layout with two berths in the aft cabin.
Old 07-18-2013
Alden 44

Fortunes Afloat is on a distinguished road

We first looked at Exile in January. Then we went back East and looked at a 46, a 48, and two more 44s. Then we added in the cost of trucking one of them to the Bay Area and came back here and bought Exile.

We are very pleased with her and impressed with the construction and quality of the finish and equipment. But the systems are complex and under every floorboard is a snarl of wires, hoses, pumps, and strainers. The boat has the main engine, a generator, refrigeration, two heater/air conditioners, water heater and accumulator tank, two fuel tanks with senders, two water tanks with senders, a holding tank with lots of valves, a washdown pump, electric winches, electric windless, a 110 system, a 220 inverter, and a propane stove with sniffer, safety switch, and thermocouples on every burner. It's been a steep learning curve!

We are slowly cleaning every locker and under the floorboards and taking photos of everything because the original blueprints that came with the boat aren't exactly how it was done. We are presently doing an engine service which is also helping us to figure out where everything is. The only really troubling thing we have found so far is some rust and rot on the plate that the helm bolts to. It's way back under the cockpit floor behind the removable lazarette dividers so I can understand why it wasn't noted in the survey. We will have to replace that before we go offshore.