Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008

surftom is on a distinguished road
How much to refit? - warning long post

Morning folks...
I have a "new to me" 26' (1980)that's in poor-fair (but will float) condition. There are some things I will definitely do - 1) Rewire and 2 some engine and standing rigging maintenance - mostly for safety and seaworthiness (great lakes sailing).
My question is more along the line of how far to take the re-fit. I don't mind investing "some" time and "some" money - but I'm worried about getting too bogged down and then have little to show for it when we sell and get a bigger boat. Some of my dilemmas are

1) Replace the head and holding bag with a hard tank and perhaps a new electric head - easier for the wife and kids to operate
2) I will have to repair and repaint the hull but what about the deck? - The fixtures are hard to remove because of the hard liner
3) It had an alcohol stove (removed) - Do I drop in a propane one or go with a butane carry burner
4) Lights - Navigation and comfort - Do I replace with LED?

yadayada

Some numbers...

Original Cost of boat - about $5000
Manadatory stuff to do $1000 to $1500
From the list above $1000 to $2000

Plan to keep the boat maybe 2 or 3 seasons then go larger - Will I recoup my investment?

Oh... and need to get it all done so I get the boat in the water before end of May :-)

Would really appreciate Your$0.02 and experiences

Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Surftom...

Do things in small steps. A classic mistake is to tear out all the wiring, get bored with it, then the boat lies idle for months, often years.
Old 03-03-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Tom, I would expect almost the entire cost pf repainting the hull (with or without deck) will be a sunk cost that you'll never get back. Yes, someone will pay a little more and buy a little faster for the nice shiny boat--if everything else is equally shiny and solid--but no, you'll never really see the price of an exterior refurb come back to you, there are too many boats in the same price range without that extra cost.

On the deck you have three choices:
1-Leave it alone, or polish and wax it with non-skid wax.
2-Mask everything and paint around it. Use 3M's silver masking tape, which won't dry out and get stuck with long sun exposure, because that tape is going to be there a while. The downside is many many hours of fine masking and it still will look like a masking job.
3-Knuckle down, strip everything off, do a proper paint job. This has the advantage of giving you the opportunity to rebed and reseal everything--because there are guaranteed to be leaks you just haven't met yet.

Or, work on the important stuff, skip the expensive cosmetics, and get your money back (more of it anyway) when you sell to the next guy.
Old 03-03-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Its a boat, repair it as it needs, use the heck out of it and enjoy yourself, but don't think your going to recoup what you put into it. Try to get that image out of your head as quickly as possible. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-03-2008
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road
My .01

Tom, for what it is worth here are my thoughts considering your intended use.

1) Replace the head - For a 26 foot boat there is nothing wrong with a porta potti. That is what I am putting in my boat. Very easy to operate, low cost and virtually no smell. Some models even allow hookup to a deck pumpout. For day sailing the 5 gallon is adequate.
2) deck - agree on doing this right and rebedding the deck hardware to stop any leaks. This helps the boat last longer. I have read about using Penetrol on the deck (not non skid areas) to brighten it up and restore which I will be trying.
3) Stove - I personally plan on going with a single burner alcohol stove. For my day sailing use this is plenty. Much easier to maintain, no worries of leaking propane lines and simple.
4) Lights - From my understanding LED are a great idea for long term use to drastically cut down on battery draining. If you only plan on keeping for a short time I would just go with regular bulbs.

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
2001 Beneteau Oceanis 361
Old 03-03-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
My $.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by surftom View Post
Morning folks...
I have a "new to me" 26' (1980)that's in poor-fair (but will float) condition. There are some things I will definitely do - 1) Rewire and 2 some engine and standing rigging maintenance - mostly for safety and seaworthiness (great lakes sailing).
My question is more along the line of how far to take the re-fit. I don't mind investing "some" time and "some" money - but I'm worried about getting too bogged down and then have little to show for it when we sell and get a bigger boat. Some of my dilemmas are

1) Replace the head and holding bag with a hard tank and perhaps a new electric head - easier for the wife and kids to operate
the electrics can be problematic (IMO), look at one of these first:
West Marine: Head-Marine Traveler-Bone Product Display

2) I will have to repair and repaint the hull but what about the deck? - The fixtures are hard to remove because of the hard liner
3) It had an alcohol stove (removed) - Do I drop in a propane one or go with a butane carry burner
If you go with propane you may be looking at allot more to install, propane locker, alarms, etc. then replacing with something similar
4) Lights - Navigation and comfort - Do I replace with LED?
Are they not working?

yadayada

Some numbers...

Original Cost of boat - about $5000
Manadatory stuff to do $1000 to $1500
From the list above $1000 to $2000

Plan to keep the boat maybe 2 or 3 seasons then go larger - Will I recoup my investment?

Oh... and need to get it all done so I get the boat in the water before end of May :-)

Would really appreciate Your$0.02 and experiences

Tom
What kind of boat is it?
Old 03-03-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
You never get the money back out unless you are a professional level craftsman and put in serious uncompensated detail oriented work - AND find a buyer who values that AND what you have done.

in other words

Walk down to the pier, throw money at the boat.

Then take two sails to ease the pain and call the accountant in the morning.
Old 03-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Surftom-

Also, most boat projects cost about 2-3 times what you estimate they will. I wouldn't go with an electric head on a boat that is 26' long. It would probably require you to upgrade your house battery bank, and that often involves upgrading the charging system to handle the larger bank and so on.

How long are you planning on keeping the boat, and what kind of work needs to be done to the deck.

Switching from an alcohol stove, particularly an non-pressurized stove, to propane, requires a bit of an investment, since doing the job properly requires running hose, getting the stove (which isn't particularly cheap), and setting up a propane locker and adding a propane sniffer, if not a full propane sniffer/solenoid valve setup.

Lights—led-based navigation and anchor lights are nice to have, but not necessary. If the current lights work, why replace them, unless you have longer term cruising plans for this boat, which it doesn't sound to be the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Tom...just do any safety related and "preservation" of value jobs (like keeping the rig up and bedding hardware to prevent destruction of boat value). Anything else will be an expenditure that you will not get returned on resale.
Old 03-03-2008

surftom is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the responses so far, folks - The boat is a Nash 26.