Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
That's funny Padean,
I see several boats that I admire on a regular basis dying of neglect. It's sad.
there should be a organization called petob. (people for the ethical treatment of boats).
the later type person that padean mentions is a status oriented person.
chances are letting him get hit in the wallet wont make any difference at all. It's the people that really can't afford their boats that take care of them the best.
Chef just go on keep adjusting it, it makes you the bigger better person.
If the owner doesn't get it by now he never will.
Scratch her behind the ear enough and she will bite her owner on the ass one day.
We can only Hope.

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
where i come from, they call it 'boat abuse'

i spent all of last week up in Va. re-commissioning/de-winterizing my boat. i slept in all the berths, and worked on all the systems (replacing burnt element in hot water heater..etc)..learned how much load my shore power will carry before kicking out (i have an oil filled radiator style heater), i came back one evening from dinner, and it was a balmy 26 in the boat.uh huh..1500w and a circulating fan was too much).
as i was alone most of the time, i had the opportunity to walk the yard, and shook my head at all the neglected boats in and out of the water. the powerboat across the dock from me has about a 1/4 in bow line, the rest were a collection of mismatched, undersized lines. i saw this anomaly on several boats.
i frankly don't understand owning a boat, paying to keep it somewhere, then ignoring it.

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 03-04-2008
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
And here I sit, still sailing club boats and crewing for whoever I can.......sigh
Old 03-04-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
T37 ?
"There is a nice Tartan 3500 just adjacent to me,...I had tighten the lines up "

I don't understand. Why did you "had" to do anything, unless his boat was going to damage your boat? Yeah, morales, ethics, all that--but that doesn't make "had" to anything, no one was holding a gun to your head. Personally I think you should thank the Tartan owners for their lack of concern, since it will eventually result in fuller employment for someone in the boat repair business, and that's a Very Good Thing for the Economy.

In the meantime, you've helped create ad views on this forum (another good thing for the economy) and--nothing personal here--if you were to consider sleeping pills and several years of twice-weekly psychotherapy to help you get this compulsion resolved--your Tartan neighbors will have REALLY helped the economy.

Or, you can just shrug it off to karma, maybe the boat was very very cruel in its last incarnation, and now the universe is having it beaten up to even things out. (Still good for the economy, and way cheaper than therapy.)
Old 03-04-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul searcher View Post
It's the people that really can't afford their boats that take care of them the best.

Not necessarily true. There are people that do it with passion
Old 03-04-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
T37Chef-

Let's face it...Jeff Foxworthy is right... some people should just be holding or wearing a sign.

That's Bill Engvall's schtick: "Here's your sign."
Old 03-04-2008

tjaldur is on a distinguished road
This seems to a global or at least a western civilization phenomena. A new social group of people is buying boats. They seem to believe that they are driving cars on the sea. They do not slip (as I was told in some other tread it is called), but they park the boat. They are a major threat to other people in kayaks and dinghies and seem to be immensely entertained by making waves that rock even my ship.

Fortunately they often sail (too) close to the coast so hopefully this phenomena will strangle itself.
Old 03-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I stand corrected.. you're right... I usually get them confused.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-04-2008
Lake Michigan

kenhoneycutt is on a distinguished road
Sad to say this is common in my harbor

My boat is moored at Monroe Harbor downtown Chicago. I commented once to the tender pilot (we have a tender service out to our boats) about all the boats I see moored on the weekends with no one aboard. We're talking anywhere from $200K+ yachts (both power and sail).
He said you wouldn't believe how many of these boats sit there all season and the owners never visit except for 4th of July and Venetian night, rest of the time they just sit empty. Unfreaking believeable.
Old 03-04-2008

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Giu, You are exceptional,
I see boats with hired crews getting neglected. the people in my area that are always on their boats and always trying to improve their boats are the ones that seem to have a bigger percentage of their worth tied up in the boat. the other side of this is people with no visible means of support living in derelict boats to find shelter.
That's just my observation From where I sit. I'm sure It depends a lot on where your at.
One thing that doesn't change is that some people own boats because they truly love boats and love being on the water and some people own them because they think it gives them more stature.

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.