Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
This is almost my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
I did a survey this past weekend.
1982 31 ft sea-ray express cruiser, twin 7.4l 454, 330 hp each. 400 hrs on the motors.
He paid 45,000 for it 8 years ago. Oh well.
Almost the same ...Very well maintained 1983 and I can't get any offers on it priced @ only 23,500.00 what did he expect...
Attached Thumbnails
What is it with some people?-searay-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2008

tjaldur is on a distinguished road
I believe that the similarity between those who maltreat their boats (them) and those who maintain them well (us), is that both parts bought a dream. The difference is that "us" are faithfull to the dream.
Old 03-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Very well said... sad, but true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjaldur View Post
I believe that the similarity between those who maltreat their boats (them) and those who maintain them well (us), is that both parts bought a dream. The difference is that "us" are faithfull to the dream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-08-2008

WuWei is on a distinguished road
I think this problem is at every marina. I refer to mine as "The Boat Graveyard." During every tropical storm, the hubby and I go out and check the lines on the boats out there- no spring lines, poor configurations, and lines the wrong size/too short/too long. Some are newbies that don't know better, but some don't even bother to check on their boats at all. If they were to break free from the pilings, they could damage our boat. Our marina doesn't care, so long as they get paid every month (a few months ago, I had to file a complaint about the abandoned powerboat next to mine that has become a rodent home, and I found rodent droppings on my boat. They expressed no concern until I told them, "If I file an insurance claim because a rat chewed through a seacock hose or a sail, they're going to come to you and ask why you did nothing when I informed you of the problem.")

I always feel bad for the boats. One boat owner did not secure their genny during Francis, and the hubby and I saw it flapping, torn. We took it down, since it was still repairable, and put it in the boat cabin. Imagine our horror to find that they left the cabin hatch open and there was 6 inches of water inside the boat. When I saw the owners next, I let them know. They just shrugged it off. Ironically, we found their boat half-sunk and pinned under the dock a month ago- topside has fiberglass damage. We tried to pull it out ourselves, but the tide was too high. The owners finally showed up a week later- they are locals, too. I feel bad for the boat. The boat graveyard has a plethora of neglected boats- bottoms covered in a reef. When the owners finally do come out, they don't understand why their engines don't start and their props are fouled out.

Meanwhile, when we replace sheet lines, we keep the old ones to secure other boats to prevent them from becoming projectiles. Between us, and our sailboat neighbor, we're the only ones who even bother prepping our boats properly for hurricane season. Nothing is sadder than watching beautiful boats decay, especially shiny new ones.
Old 03-09-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
You know, when you see one of those unsecure boats where the owner just doesn't have the time to take care of them, adding a couple of cubic yards of concrete to the cockpit will often provide the security that boat needs to help it remain safely and firmly fixed in one place.[vbg]
Old 03-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Opening up the seacocks after disconnecting the hoses to make sure they're clear would also do the trick and is much less expensive...have you priced concrete recently... I had to make a pair of concrete shoes earlier this week for someone I used to know... it's gotten pretty pricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You know, when you see one of those unsecure boats where the owner just doesn't have the time to take care of them, adding a couple of cubic yards of concrete to the cockpit will often provide the security that boat needs to help it remain safely and firmly fixed in one place.[vbg]

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-09-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I'm definitely of the variety you all are complaining about.

Just for a little perspective, maybe see it through my eyes. My boat is about as close to me as it can possibly be, and that is 4 1/2 hours driving away. It's easy to say someone should go and check on their boat every time a storm comes up, but what you are saying in my case is that you think I should take an entire day to go to the marina to check on my boat. That's easy to say when it isn't you who has to drive 4 1/2 hours each way to check the boat.

I pay for a slip at the marina and expect as part of that service for the marina owner to go down and check on my boat from time to time, especially if a storm is coming up. He's there, it's his place, his docks, why wouldn't I have an expectation that he'd go out and check on the boat to make sure the lines were good ? That's his job. It's not his responsibility if something goes wrong, but it is his job to look after things and make a reasonable effort, that's part of what I'm paying him for. He's there, I'm not. It's 50 steps for him, hours of driving for me.

I have absolutely no idea how my boat is doing at the moment, I haven't seen it all winter. I assume it's okay or the marina owner would have called. I talk to him occasionally and always ask how the boat is, and he tells me he moved this line or that, he kind of looks after everything. Which is good, because I count on him looking after everything. And I count on neighboring boat owners to look after things too, I'm always happy to hear that someone took some action to help me out since I'm not there.

Please support my
Old 03-09-2008
Telstar 28

Wind_magic--

Do you call your marina and talk to the marina owner or staff to make sure that they check on your boat prior to a big storm and just following one? The people we're really talking about just don't care about their boats, and even if it is only a 10 minute drive, can't be bothered to go down to the marina to check on them. I am willing to bet you do call the marina... if not, then, yes, you are one of them.

I wouldn't expect you to drive 9 hours round trip to check on the boat every time a storm comes up, but I would expect you to be on the phone every time. My boat is an hour's drive and more if I'm on the road. However, if I can't get down to the marina, I call my crew, one of whom lives less than 15 minutes from the marina, and have them check on the boat.

I think it is more about the attitude these boaters have... they've bought a boat, and in some cases a very nice and very expensive boat, yet they leave it to rot and neglect it. Part of the real problem is their apathy can have serious consequences for the people nearby. When their docklines fail, it isn't only putting their boat at risk, but that of everyone nearby.

When I'm down at the marina during the season, I will often walk the docks and check on the boats that belong to my friends, just like they would if they were there. There are some boats that I only check on because they'd be a threat to one of my friends' boats. These are boats that you never see leave the marina and you never see the owners on them. It amazes me that the people who own them spend the money to keep the boat at a marina.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-09-2008

tjaldur is on a distinguished road
I agree with wind magic in that one should perhaps not pass a moral judgement, and I believe most people don't. The reaction to abandoned boats is more likely astonishment. Because many find it incomprehensible that a boat can left unattended. This again I think is because of cultural history of the boat.

Until very recently there was no such thing as boating for fun. At least it is so in Norway. Any boat was needed for transportation, work or food-gathering. Peoples lives were depending on the boats. Neglecting the boat was felt like challenging dangerous forces. We have a saying in Norway: "Only a fool does not fear the sea". Taking care of the boat was connected to mans duty, like taking care of his family. That is why most boats have feminine names, or names that somehow pay homage to someone/-thing or at least a dear dream.

Now the times has changed and we really have seen a new era in boating arise. Boating for fun, boating as a device for chasing boredom, speedboats for escaping the silence. It looks like children (boys?) that for the first time in their life has entered a large hall where they can run and slide on the floor without bumping into anything.

And I believe that this relation to a boat as being a toy, a device for amusement, a kind of lifestyle that is about escaping ones own demons, is how and why a boat can be neglected as a discarded toy.

It only remains to accept this fact, things are not as they were,
Old 03-09-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
If we're talking about people who don't care about their boats, what's the point? I guess I wandered in here by mistake. (g)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.