Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
SD, yes, you are right, I do call if there is a named storm coming through, but I don't call if it is just a serious winter front or another big storm. I'm so far away from my boat that I don't even know most of the time when the boat is involved in a big storm, the boat gets weather there that I never even see here.

To the thread in general, I think people who get to see their boats all the time should feel lucky. Not all of us are in that position. In my own case that doesn't mean I have given up on the dream or anything like that, I am working diligently trying to make my dreams come true, that's a big part of the reason I can't spend time with my boat. If you get to see your boat all the time, or even better for you if you get to wake up on your boat every day, think to yourself tomorrow when you stand on deck how lucky you are, because there are a lot of us out here who can only imagine how our boats are doing, imagine what it must be like to wake up and step out on the deck to meet the day. I am not so fortunate as that.

My boat gets dirty. It gets bird crap all over it. The lines sometimes get loose and slap against the mast, I depend on people who are around to tighten them from time to time, I'm not able to drive 4 1/2 hours just to tighten lines. But dirt and bird crap doesn't harm my boat, it would get older with or without birds on it. It does make the boat look more neglected. I do make special trips down just to clean the boat up at least once a season not for my own good but just so other people can enjoy seeing it shining white for a while. And of course any time I get to spend on my boat means a lot to me, even if I am just cleaning it.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2008

sifucarl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sifucarl
Ok, I'm not a boat owner (yet). Got a plan in the works to remedy that.

My question is; Is it a general practice for the marina to take on the responsibility of ensuring all boats are moored correctly? I understand the marina is responsible for taking care of the docks and other facilities, but thought their responsibility stopped at the cleat. I would expect the marina to take action on boats that are in obviously abandoned and actually become a danger to other boats around them, but aside from that figured it was just the owners responsibility.

Wind Magic, I understand and wouldn't expect you to make that kind of drive more than a few times a year. Do you talk to your neighboring boat owners to help coordinate the safety of your boat or do you rely on their kind hearts to take care of it of their own accord?
Old 03-21-2008

sonofasonofasailer456 is on a distinguished road
they don't give a s??t, that's why, they don't deserve to own a boat they just don't care!!! But they will be the first to say what happened or blame the marina if there was an accident and somebody got hurt because of damage caused by their neglect!
Old 03-21-2008

sifucarl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sifucarl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofasonofasailer456 View Post
they don't give a s??t, that's why, they don't deserve to own a boat they just don't care!!! But they will be the first to say what happened or blame the marina if there was an accident and somebody got hurt because of damage caused by their neglect!
Thats sorta my point, and unfortunately there will always be the ones out there that will think of only themselves. But in reading Wind Magic's entries, it sounds like he has an agreement with his marina to look after his baby. Was just wondering if that was a norm.

Me personally, I plan to live on my boat and believe that your equipment will take care of you if you take care of it. Still it would appall me to see a beautiful boat being neglected.
Old 03-21-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
When I had my boat moored at Elliotts Bay Marina, when we have had storms, they actually call me if they had to do anything at all with the lines etc. or to inform me to come down or what not... Even though I live within a hour, I have always appreciated it... I think that is one major factor in choosing a marina - the attention they give.

So personally, I find nothing wrong with Wind's comments or behavior, I do the same. Why? The professional folks at the marina assured me via their actions - that are concerned to what happens to anyone's boat and take steps to preemptively address them before a major issue occurs. Lines do loosen during storms and a good marina - their staff will on the hour brave the elements and check for signs of a disaster waiting to happen and fix it before it is a problem...

And that makes sense actually from a marina's point of view. There is a negative connotation that can be derived when one states "This bad thing happened a x-named marina"...after a period of time one forgets the real details and all that is left when speaking of x-named marina - is "I remember bad thing happened there"...

It also doesn't make alot of sense either to call the marina and ask them to check on your boat. Unless there is something unusual with your boat (such as a known leak etc)... During a storm they have many other things to do and odds are they are actually tending to moorings of yours and others boats...Plus, tending to the actual folks at the marina or those trying to get in....

That is why marina's are what they are and why we all do not own mooring buoys...its for the service, and peace of mind....

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-21-2008

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
At the risk of offending someone (I know that I will), let me respectfully say that you guys have it wrong.

Most of those who read & contribute to Sailnet are passionate about the water, boats, the adventure and excitement. Some make their living on the water, some live on their boats, but the common thread for most of us is that sailing and being on the water in general is a lifestyle and part of our soul. We see a boat as an art form and an extension of ourselves. Consequently, our boats are a reflection of ourselves. An unkept line? - then I must be unkept, etc.

Others don't see it that way. Boating is an activity, like seeing a movie. A boat is simply a thing. As such, they really don't care about all the nautical stuff and would rather pay someone to do the minimum needed to keep it floating (or to raise it). Period. A very experienced offshore sailor, racer, and surveyor once told me that these are the smartest boat owners - they enjoy the boat then go home.

I guess that there is room for both attitudes except that the latter attitude could kill someone.

I say all this with sore shoulders - just having returned from the boat (1.5 hr drive) after waxing the topsides. I had my 13 year old daughter, a girlfriend, and her boy "friend" along too. The three of them painted the bottom (and themselves) and I paid them each $20 for the 4 hours work. It was $ well spent because I laughed the whole time - and didn't have to paint. They got a good workout and worked for the bucks. THIS is what I mean about a boating lifestyle.......

Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 03-21-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
At the risk of offending someone (I know that I will), let me respectfully say that you guys have it wrong.

... I had my 13 year old daughter, a girlfriend, and her boy "friend" along too. The three of them painted the bottom (and themselves) and I paid them each $20 for the 4 hours work.
Agree with post.... but I would up the posted (a little white lie never hurts) amount paid before you get PM'ed with either "Can your kids paint my boat too" or some child labor group emails slamming you for actively practicing child labor!!

Nice post and j/k

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-21-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Well said Sabreman!!!!
Old 03-21-2008

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Paid them almost minimum wage - and fed them too. Bought Subway subs on the way down ($18) and MacDonald's on the way back ($18).
Old 03-21-2008

WuWei is on a distinguished road
Because in the state of Florida, if my boat neighbor's POS boat (no, not you, Mike!) hit mine, guess what? I'm more than willing to bet his POS powerboat is not insured, and I'll end up paying for it.

This is the same POS owner who wanted $20,000 for a 1980s POS powerboat that the prop is fouled, engine does not work, algae covers the boat, and rodents had taken over as captains. Hmmm... Wonder WHY he has not had a buyer? Or sunk it....