Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sifucarl View Post
Wind Magic, I understand and wouldn't expect you to make that kind of drive more than a few times a year. Do you talk to your neighboring boat owners to help coordinate the safety of your boat or do you rely on their kind hearts to take care of it of their own accord?
You know, mine might be a bit of a special case.

The marina where my boat is has about 20 boats. Mine and one other are the only sailboats, all of the rest are powerboats. The marina is very well protected in a little cove and my boat is almost at the back of it. I have been there during a hurricane before with my boat and the most it did was kind of tug at lines - over in the main river there were waves tearing down piers and in my little cove the wind was heavy and gusty but I was never the least bit worried that my boat was going to come loose from its four attachment points, there just weren't any big waves, I was smiling because my boat at worst was "dancing" as it moved back and forth, it was never in any danger. To get out to the main river from where I am you have to leave the little cove into a bigger cove, go down a long narrow waterway, turn past a shoal and that puts you out on the main river. Waves have to bounce through like 6 turns to get into the cove, and the cove is surrounded by hills and lots of mature trees. No matter what direction you look from my boat there is, at most, about 600 feet of fetch.

My marina is also managed by a private individual who owns the marina and the house that sits there. If you stand on deck on any of the boats at the marina and look up to the top of the little hill, literally about 100 yards away, you are looking at the owner's home. He is there most of the time. He comes out and greets you when you come to work on the boat if he is there. His living room has huge windows on three sides and they all look out from the top of this little hill on to the decks of all of the boats. I'd be AMAZED if something happens on any of those boats that he doesn't know about. And I know he checks on them, we have talked about it before. He's the kind of a guy who will complain if everything isn't "just so" - which can be annoying when he's bothering you, yet comforting at the same time because you know he cares about what goes on around the place.

As far as other boat owners, I can't speak to it. I have met two of them. One was the guy who owns the only other sailboat at the marina, and the other was a partner in a powerboat, he and his friends would schedule times that each could use the boat and take their friends out fishing.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2008

sifucarl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sifucarl
Chef, sorry if I took this off subject

Wonder if any of those "neglected" boats need a new owner
Old 03-22-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Is it a general practice for the marina to take on the responsibility of "
I doubt there is a "general practice". What is done will be an individual policy of the marina owners, tempered by local laws and habits. In Florida they passed some strong laws about securing or removing vessels before named storms--the state and the marina industry are both fairly organized down there, and there are a lot of vocal boaters as well.

In general, if a marina doesn't touch the boat, some other customer may say they allowed it to harm their boat--and sue 'em. But once they touch the lines, someone else will say they are responsible for the boat--and sue 'em.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I know a couple of launch drivers and "hosts" (mainly underpaid college kids on summer break) who work for a local YC and make a habit of going down to the docks--unpaid--whenever there's a bad storm. Apparently the members make a habit of tipping very well when the guys catch a boat breaking loose and do something about it. No formal agreement, just a little incentive on both sides.

And those same launch drivers perk their ears up if you remind them "See that waterline? If it changes, you call us." because they KNOW that's extra service and it will be rewarded.

But general practices? I guess that depends on how traditional--or scared--the folks in charge are. Or for the corporate marina chains, what their official policies are. And, how well the staff still like to be tipped.
Old 03-22-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
WuWei,
No this one has been on the hard for a year.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 03-22-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
These threads always amuse me

Why do people get so exercised about what other people do with their boats? Why do you care?

Also, everyone's circumstances are different. Not everyone who owns a boat but doesn't use it much is a bad person. For sure, there are people who neglect their boats because they generally are careless people, but I suspect they are in the very small minority in most places.

Finding time to use a boat for the average person is not so easy. Most people have to work, they have families, they have other commitments/interests. Take the guy who loves boating but has kids. The guy works during the week, so that time is out. His kids play baseball or whatever, so just about every weekend he's at the baseball diamond, soccar field, etc. That guy might love sailing, but his all-too-common circumstances conspire to prevent him from using his boat that much. Don't be so hard on him. He's suffering plenty all on his own. And this example doesn't even contemplate the reluctant spouse or any of the other myriad of factors that plague the average recreational sailor, not to mention that someone might have the gall to want to do something else on a weekend during the summer every now and again.

Even for devoted and avid sailors, it's hard to find time to get on the water, unless you're independently wealthy. If you figure that the sailing season, at least in the mid-Atlantic/northeast area, is about 5 months on average, that's about 20 weekends. That means for the most avid sailor, you are looking at the boat moving 40 days out of 150 in season, if it's used every day of every weekend, which is just not realistic (think about bad weather, sickness, boat breakdowns, cousin's wedding, etc.).

I consider us devoted and avid sailors as a family, but my situation illustrates the point. My wife and I love being on the water, and we have two young boys that hopefully will feel the same way as they get older (for now they come with us because they have no choice). We get the boat in the water as early as possible every Spring, and stay in late into the Fall, which means we go in early April and come out October/November (one of the reasons we have that enclosure is to stretch the sailing season). We take several weeks each summer to cruise (no less than two weeks, usually in the neighborhood of three, sometimes more if we're lucky). We also use the boat every weekend we can, most of them involving an overnight in a local harbor. I think we use our boat more than most people do. Still, our boat sits on her mooring far more than she doesn't. Think about it, if we want to take our boys to a Yankee game on a Saturday afternoon, that knocks out going away for that weekend, or even using the boat that Saturday, and there you have it, one of those precious weekends gone. That would mean our boat would sit for 12 straight days without being used in the middle of July (for example), and an onlooker hanging around the harbor could see our boat on the mooring and say, "what a shame for that boat to be just sitting there so much." That's just life for us, and it is for many others as well. And for us I suspect it will get worse before it gets better. When our boys start to have their own activities, it will be harder to get on the boat early Saturday morning and stay on until Sunday evening. We're starting to experience that already with birthday parties and the like.

And here's another thought. If the "rule" were that you shouldn't be allowed to have a boat unless you use it all the time (however defined), very few people would have boats. And that means there would be no sailing community or industry because there would not be enough customers to sustain the industry from an economic perspective. So, be thankful for all those people who have boats and pay people to store and maintain them, even if they don't use the boats that often. In fact, those people should be your best friends. They help sustain the industry that provides the goods and services you want to use, yet they do not clog up the harbors. I bet the people who complain loudest about people not using their boats also complain about how the best anchorages are too crowded.

So, the point is that you shouldn't be too judgmental of people who use their boats less than you think they should. Everyone's circumstances, desires and interests are different.

I'd quote Dennis Miller and say I don't want to get on a rant here, but it's too late at this point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It isn't so much the people who, for whatever reason, don't use their boats a lot that I have a problem with, as it is the people who just don't give a rat's @ss for their boats... and neglect them. I have a friend who has three boats, and two of them don't leave the marina all that much... the third is on a mooring at his house. Yet, when push comes to shove, and there's a storm, he's down at the marina checking on his boats. He's also down every week or two to check on them and do a bit of maintenance on them... There's a big difference between not being able to spend as much time on the boat as you'd like and not caring about the boat or what happens to it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-22-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
On the up side:
Those who neglect their boats eventually decide they don't really love them as much as when they bought 'em......
In comes a poor guy like me and offers them squat just to take it off their hands.....Voila........a perfect meeting.....
supply and demand.......it's what makes the world go 'round.....
Is this a great country or what?......
Old 03-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Or it is so trashed, like Gui's neighbor's boat is soon to be, that all it is good for is landfill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyesailor View Post
On the up side:
Those who neglect their boats eventually decide they don't really love them as much as when they bought 'em......
In comes a poor guy like me and offers them squat just to take it off their hands.....Voila........a perfect meeting.....
supply and demand.......it's what makes the world go 'round.....
Is this a great country or what?......

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-22-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Wink Appreciate what you have, simple as that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
Why do people get so exercised about what other people do with their boats? Why do you care?
There was a time when all I could do was dream of owning a boat, and now that I can, I am gonna take care of it for damn sure...that's why I "care"!

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 03-22-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
I know EXACTLY how you feel Chef.....I've been dreaming for 8+yrs. and now is my time......I can hardly believe it's so close....lots go into a dream, and the more you invest, the more you appreciate it......

we share another interest, it seems.....how DO you become Senior Culinary BTW?
I don't qualify as a Chef, but I get asked for my recipies quite often....