SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailing Community - Cape May NJ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/41084-sailing-community-cape-may-nj.html)

murph535 03-04-2008 08:45 PM

Sailing Community - Cape May NJ

I've recently purchased my first sailboat. She's currently on Long Island but my plan is to get her to my summer home in Cape May NJ by June. Sailboats appear to be more the exception then the rule in Cape May and the local Marinas are polite but not entirely enthusiastic or knowledgeable about sailboats. The local Yacht club has not been much help yet either. I need to find a place to dock or moor her for the summer. If anyone has any information on the best place to dock an Ericson 28+ with 5'6" keel I'd be appreciative of any advice and local color. Also any links to the local sailing community would be great!

Thanks

chef2sail 03-04-2008 09:02 PM

Murphy,

The last three summers I spent one month at Utschs Marina. There are a fair amount of sailboats there. Cape May is made up of mostly power boats and tournement fishing boats. Rough sailing in Delaware Bay also...home of the square wave.

Do not even go to the Canyon Club across from Utschs. Its made up of 50ft+ power behemoths. We went over there witrh our 35ft C&C and some jerk with a cigar and no lie a 70 foot wave maker was washing his boat at the pumpout station and refused to move saying "sailboaters had no business there". Poetic justice was seeing him being towed back in the inlet when we were on our way out sailing. I just tipped my hat to him and blew my horn.

Dave

Freesail99 03-04-2008 09:06 PM

Southern New Jersey seems to be power boat heaven. Maybe because of the fishing. You may have some issues with your draft. There is a lot of thin water in the area. Look at a chart of the great bay and check out the water depths. You may want to look at Delaware bay. Many of the rivers that empty into the Delaware would be ok for your draft.

camaraderie 03-04-2008 09:30 PM

No problem getting in, out and around Cape May with your draft. Lousy place to keep a sailboat though. I second the Utsch's nominations AND I almost lost my last sailboat on the rocks at the Canyon Club when trying to get out of a slip against the current...I ditto the stay away recomendation!!

murph535 03-05-2008 09:34 AM

Much appreciated! This is an excellent site. I'll be on it often.

murph535 03-05-2008 09:35 AM

PS
If you sent me a PM I'll reply once I figure out how. Apparently there are restritions on newbies like me.

murph535 03-05-2008 09:49 AM

Ok I'll bite. Have heard the reference to the "square wave" a couple of times.

Googled it:

A square wave is a kind of non-sinusoidal waveform, most typically encountered in electronics and signal processing.

Obviously there is an alternative sailing definition?

camaraderie 03-05-2008 10:06 AM

Murph...you need 10 posts before you can PM and provide links. You're almost there!

Square Waves in sailing simply refer to the short, steep and uncomfortable waves that form in shallow waters especially where tide opposes the wind.
This happens in the Delaware and makes 20 knots of winds against the tidal flow much less comfortable than being at sea in the same conditions.

teshannon 03-05-2008 10:29 AM

Murph,
I tried to get a slip in Canyon Club and they didn't want me in my opinion. Probably because I don't buy gas. Glad I didn't end up there. I've ended up in Longport. Utchs is a fine marina as others have said. I would try there. There is also a marina on the other side of the drawbridge that would be good for you. Two mile something or other I think.

blowinstink 03-05-2008 12:25 PM

Hey Murph -
I sent you a PM since I'll be in the neigborhood a bunch. Give me a shout when you get to 10! hehehe. I expect to be on a mooring this summer. Should beinteresting to see how that works out.