SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pearson 30 reverse problem

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  hamburking 
#1 ·
Purchased a Pearson 30 (hull # 917 on 9/17/00)When pulling from the slip for the first time I reversed the engine and gave it a burst on the throttle. Whoooo The tiller was pulled from my hands and it shot around until it faced the stern of the boat. It did take me to the deck! Did I do some thing wrong, or is this a "Pearson thing" ?

#2 ·
Well, yes and yes.

The underwater geometry of the Pearson 30 rudder is swept back, which gives the pilot great leverage on the tiller. While this takes the pressure off while sailing in a forward direction, the effect when in reverse is just the opposite.

If it is any comfort, I had much the same experience myself when I was getting acquainted with Pilgrim. Now I move much more cautiously in reverse! I have heard of some skippers who flip the rudder around backwards when in reverse, holding the tiller vertical while it rotates.

Wesley Bailey
P30 Pilgrim

#3 ·
I had a tiller steered C&C 30 which is similar. I am not sure that you can do what I did but just reverse the rudder 180 and steer with the tiller upsidedown.

It will steer in reverse much better this way too. It''s really an advantage wheel steered boats don''t have.

Nice boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.