Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
I have been out on a Rhodes 19 a couple of time, nice boat! When I say dinghy I really mean smaller boats (even those with a keel) where the human being is a giant ballast
Old 03-07-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
I learned on a dinghy - first a hand made wooden no-name beast, then a sunfish, then a 14 foot O'day Javelin. Fun to sail, tough to live aboard! As far as age limiting your enjoyment of small boats, since I am no longer approaching but am retreating from 60 (and 65,too!) I can no longer imagine spending a lot of time in or on anything under 24 feet! I will admit that the lack of trailerability (is that a word?) is a disadvantage of my present 37 foot 20,000 pound tub, but I am not in any hurry anymore so I can go wherever the water connects to the Mississippi. With a trailerable, I can get to the North Channel in a couple days, by water it takes a couple weeks! But the joy of a cruise is not entirely in the destination. Much of the pleasure comes from getting there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There are a lot of smaller pocket cruisers, like the Compacs and such that would allow you to trailer them, yet still have the capability to overnight on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
My Flying Scot is not what most people would consider a dinghy, but it's certainly one of the smallest and least complicated boats represented here on Sailnet ... and that's exactly why I chose it. I learned on Rhodes 19's, so the size and performance feel very comfortable to me.

It's big enough that I won't capsize it by moving around, and the cockpit is huge, so the typical dinghy complaints of banged shins and heads are kept to a minimum. I can rig and splash it off the trailer in 15 minutes and do what I want to do ... get out on the water by myself or with two or three friends with minimum fuss. I'm also shopping for a cheap used Laser to knock around on.

It would be nice to have a boat I could occasionally sleep aboard, I guess, but that usually implies a head, electronics, through-hulls, motors, dockage, and the myriad other complexities that most readers here put up with as a matter of course. It's just no for me.

Kurt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-07-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
There are a lot of smaller pocket cruisers, like the Compacs and such that would allow you to trailer them, yet still have the capability to overnight on them.
Sure, but they're not dinghys, nor is the Flying Scot. Think 15 feet, or say 250 pounds, and under, centerboard or daggerboard, one or two crew, where crew weight placement and body english is crucial to propulsion. That's a dinghy. Learn in one, and you'll never forget those lessons, no matter how big a boat you sail afterwards.

The converse is not necessarily true.
Old 03-07-2008

swadiver is on a distinguished road
I learned on a Lido 14, three years ago. Moved to a 30' Shields Keel Boat, then to a 42' Coastal cruiser. I then boat my own 30' boat a year ago. I did not want to start on a dinghy sailer but that is what the school offered. After the classes I really fell in love with them. For the last 3 months on the Lido's I was single handling and had a blast. In my opinion you get a better feel for sailing with them, especially when just starting out and they are so responsive. Frankly, I miss the Lido 14' and have thought about buying a used one just to play with.

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Last edited by swadiver; 03-07-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nolatom-

Never said the Compacs were dinghies...said they were pocket cruisers. I've sailed sailfish, sunfish, snarks, lasers, hobie cats (technically not a dinghy), 470s and a few others. Hoping to get a chance to go out on a Moth Foiler this summer.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-07-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I learned on a Laser by trial and error...mostly error. The Laser is still in the family and I get out on it a couple of times per year. It's a fast, wet, fun boat. However, the things I enjoy most about sailing (family time, slow pace, marina life, living aboard, etc.) are all better on a bigger boat.

Old 03-07-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I built a custom v bottom 10 ft sailing dinghy just so I could sail dinghy's.
Below is a picture of it after the first coat of primer -for some reason I can't find any of the many pic's I took after it was done. I use a SideWinder sail for it on a 14 foot mast that flexes in puffs. It's been done for three years and sailed only one time. With me and a buddy in it we planed across the creek - scared the crap out of both of us.

I'm taking lessons on a 420 this summer just so I can learn to use it. It's too damn pretty (now) to leave it sitting in the front yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone out there enjoy Dinghy sailing?-image017.jpg  
Old 03-07-2008

capt.stu is on a distinguished road
to dinghy or not

I learned on Thistles and now race a Flying Scot. I feel that learning to sail by racing small boats gets you up the learning curve faster as far as boat handling and sail trim go. That comes in handy when cruising beam on beam with another catalina on the bay.
Stu
Old 03-07-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.stu View Post
I learned on Thistles and now race a Flying Scot. I feel that learning to sail by racing small boats gets you up the learning curve faster as far as boat handling and sail trim go. That comes in handy when cruising beam on beam with another catalina on the bay.
Stu

That's my sentiment. Small-boat sailors can adapt to big boats much easier than big-boat sailors can to dinghys...