Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
That's my sentiment. Small-boat sailors can adapt to big boats much easier than big-boat sailors can to dinghys...
That is precisely why I'm taking lessons - It's backasswards because I already have the big boat - but I'm hoping to pick up more of a feel for the boat. Then again - there is not much feel on my boat anyway.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2008

Lion35 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I miss the Lido 14' and have thought about buying a used one just to play with.
My brother has a Lido, they're really fun boats and pretty quick too.
Old 03-07-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
My "play boat" is 1973 15 foot Chrysler Mutineer. Lots of fun. I got on a Laser 2 years ago. It just reminded me that I don't fold like I use to.
Old 03-07-2008

maellis is on a distinguished road
The nice thing about boats is there is a boat suited for just about every purpose and personality. If a boat serves your purpose and you like it, then by my definition it is a good boat. Although there are many different types of boats placed in the dinghy category, my preference is a sailing dinghy such as the Minto. For one, because I make the Minto, but more significantly I have had one for 28 years and in between big boats, I was never "boatless" because I would never consider letting go of my Minto. Besides being a great little rowboat, it also is the answer to the question I invariably ask myself once the anchor is set or the Cape Dory is tied to the dock, "what do I do now?" I go sailing. Even if there is little wind there is enough to make sailing the Minto fun. When the wind picks up it becomes exciting. Not "Laser" exciting, but exciting enough to satisfy my sailing hunger even if we had motored all the way from our last destination. In the NW our sailboats function as motor boats on more summer days than anyone wants to admit.
Old 03-07-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I really..

I really improved my sailing as a kid sailing on my Laser (hull #14). I've kicked myself in the ass every day since I sold it to my neighbor. I used to love to make it hummmmm and it made this really cool noise when planing that is etched into my memories of being a child!!

I've tried about ten times, un-successfully, to buy it back. He's given me right of first refusal for the day when he eventually swallows the anchor. I sailed that boat far and wide for years when not sailing my parents big boats. I once sailed it, at the age of twelve, from North Hampton NH to the Nubble Light North of York Harbor, ME and back with only a thermos of water and a sandwich. My mom was PISSED OFF when I got home..... I also had a Dyer sailing dinghy but I long to get hull #14 of the Laser back in my possession most..

I think it is very important to the understanding of sailing to sail small boats....

I love sailing dinghy's!!

This is an early photo of me, at about 10, bringing our Rhodes 19 into the mooring after a race! As you can see I also learned the fine art of varnish at a young age too.........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-07-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2008

rennisaint is on a distinguished road
I learned on a sunfish, raced lasers, then MC's, still have one, doesn't get used too much, but it's fun.
Old 03-07-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
Our tender is a dyer dink. I used to love to sail it until I snapped the mast. Once I get the new lower section I'm sure the love affair will start up again. I wish the mast parts were easier to stow on the biger boat. The dink gives us the ability to play once we are anchored and it will be a wonderful platform for our daughters to learn the basics.
Old 03-07-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
It sounds like many who love the dingy sailing were those who grew up doing it I wish that I had but better late than never
Old 03-08-2008

LynW is on a distinguished road
Just give me the chance! It hard to credit that any yachtie doesn't enjoy the occasional freedom and blast of a dinghy. Or that you ever get the most from sailing without.

Old 03-08-2008

OasisII is on a distinguished road
I have a Sumner 8 foot sailing dinghy

I bought a Sumner 8 foot sailing dinghy last summer. Thought it would be fun to sail around the mooring field on lazy days when we are just hanging out. However, my kids prefer to play on the motorized RIB. Gonna sell it this spring.

Mike
Pearson 323