Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2008

gstraub is on a distinguished road
Yes, if you have a CG license or document, you must get a TWIC. I went to get mine almost a year ago when the TWIC office opened in my area. I pre-enrolled on line and made an appointment online. I waited for about 10 minutes at the site. My enrollment took about 45 minutes because the computer crashed after inputting all the data! I had my card about two weeks later. I again waited about 10 or 15 minutes to get it activated.

I was really lucky, however, in that there was a TWIC office within 12 miles of my home. If you have to travel far to get to an office, that is a pain.

Gerhard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unfortunately, the TSA tends to screw up almost everything it touches... I doubt that the TWIC program will be immune from this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-24-2008

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
In a related vein....

There is a Presidential Executive Order that was signed.. I think in 2001 or 2002 requiring ALL government facilities, military installations and government buildings to all require, and go to a standard Common Access Card.

I bring this up, while you might think it unrelated, it's not. The CACs are already in use in many places (I have one here) and in a short time - within two more years probably all military bases and other facilities (including the USCG!) will be using them.

I'm not sure whether the card you're talking about is similar (but I bet it is)....

Anyway - this is based on rules and regulations (various and sundry) to cover the security of government places.

My current CAC gets me on ANY installation - and certain RAs (restricted areas) based on my job and other things I won't detail here.

I'd like to note that there was a thread some time back about "Licensing" boaters - this is the precursor to the future. And it ain't pretty.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Old 12-24-2008

Ok, I just went to the site. That TWIC card is EXACTLY what I was talking about. They are also known as CACs or Common Access Cards.

All military personnel are carrying them now. Most retired personnel still have their green or pink cards (active or retired, respectively) but many are getting CACs as well.

My wife has a CAC for her job (accessing the USAF Academy).

I have more than one card based on my job and places I must visit - but that will change in the near future (so I only have to have one).

In fact, to even USE the computer I'm on THIS MOMENT, I have to plug my card into the computer.

How totally COOL is that? LOL

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 12-24-2008

Oh yeah, ONE last thing.

Several years back everyone was "pushing" for a "Government ID card".

Those days have ARRIVED my friends.

Welcome to "Big Brother" and the rest of what this entails.

Finally - NO, it will NOT stop terrorists, it won't prevent someone from stealing planes, it won't prevent attacks on malls, schools and neighborhood buildings, it won't even keep the bad guys out of the country.

What it will do, like many other things they want to 'take away' is prevent HONEST folks from going about their normal, daily business without jumping through many, many hoops. And of course, if you piss someone off, you can and will be easily found.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 12-24-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
CAC's were being discussed as early as 1990 when I was stationed at ComNavComTelCom in Washington.

Technology eventually catches up with ideas.

My TWIC and CAC don't get used much, thankfully.
Old 12-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
CAC's were being discussed as early as 1990 when I was stationed at ComNavComTelCom in Washington.

Well... They didn't start coming "into being" until places like "Direct TV" started using them on satellite receivers.

In 2001 right before the attacks on 9-11 they started to issue those cards to military personnel. Since then I've noted most, if not all military personnel I personally know have one (that means all services, INCLUDING the USCG).

They are a required item to get access to most installations - in lieu of other forms of ID. I need to have mine (or my military ID) to get into the bases around here. But, my card works on most places.

Mine would likely get me into areas like Federal buildings as well ( I think they are going to start requiring that shortly).

So - basically, this card you're discussing isn't something different from the other cards. It is exactly the same card, just has a different name but the use is the same.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 12-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't you use them as drink coasters???
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-24-2008
Captain Jack

captainjack63 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to captainjack63 Send a message via Yahoo to captainjack63 Send a message via Skype™ to captainjack63
Mobile TWIC enrollment centers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstraub View Post
...I was really lucky, however, in that there was a TWIC office within 12 miles of my home. If you have to travel far to get to an office, that is a pain.

Gerhard
Yes you where very lucky. Others have had a heck of a time.

There are 370 mobile enrollment centers available presently. List of all enrollment centers, operating days, and hours: (sorry I'm not allowed to link yet. Copy and paste to your browser and add html: to the address.) //twicinformation.tsa.dhs.gov/twicinfo/schedule.jsp

I heard that it will take a bit longer to get your TWICs card if your using a mobile enrollment center. I heard one Master had to wait about a month for the mobile center to return to get his card. He almost missed his appointment because of work. So one should weigh convenience vs time when choosing a center to apply to.

Captain Jack Richards
U.S.C.G. #1160914
"May the Winds be at your Back and the Stars to Guide you by."
____/)________*_____
(
)
(
)

Last edited by captainjack63; 12-24-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Don't you use them as drink coasters???
Actually, I hang them around my neck on a strap.

I don't need drink coasters I use Tervis cups that don't sweat, don't need cup holders 'cus my boat doesn't heel (much).

Seeing as I'm not working for the military industrial complex at the moment and my security clearance is expiring in 18 months I only need my TWIC when I visit the port in Baltimore on my current job, and my CAC card I turned in when I quit my USAF contract.