Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
Solo anchoring

I've picked up a mooring solo and I've docked solo. But I've avoided anchoring solo. The only issues I've ever had anchoring have been pulling up the anchor.But there have been at least two of us on the boat and we've always managed to get it up. So I'm a bit nervous about setting it AND hauling it up. Any tips would be appreciated. I do have an electric windlass and the bottom is good ole Chesapeake mud.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Raising the anchor solo can be a bit interesting if the wind and conditions aren't right.

However, having an electric windlass makes this a bit simpler, especially if you have cockpit as well as foredeck controls for it. If you have cockpit controls for the windlass, you can slowly motor forward while pulling in the rode.

Having a combination rode or a clearly marked all-chain rode helps, as it will be easier to estimate how much rode is still out, and when you're approaching the point that you'll be breaking the anchor free of the bottom.

Breaking the anchor free and getting it back aboard is probably the trickiest part of doing this, and a lot depends on what kind of anchor you have. I know, at least with the Rocna, breaking it out takes a bit of work, and I generally leave it overboard for a few minutes when we first start sailing to help wash the mud off of it--as it tends to come up with 20-30 lbs. of mud/sand on it.

If you don't have cockpit controls for the windlass, things get a bit more complicated. If the windlass is strong enough, and the wind/sea state are light enough, you may be able to retrieve the rode without motoring up by using the windlass alone, at least to the point where you're ready to break the anchor out.

The biggest problem is if the winds or sea state are stronger and the anchorage is crowded, you may start drifting as you break the anchor out. Having the engine running is probably a good idea...especially since the anchor windlass will be using a fair amount of electricity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-09-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
When I'm pulling up the anchor w/electric windlass, I generally (unless facing a very strong wind or current) go to the bow first (with engine running) and start the anchor up in little spurts. This takes up the slack, and gives forward momentum, so you aren't pulling the weight of the boat, just the rode. Once I get to the splice between chain and rode, I go back to the cockpit and motor forward as I raise the last bit of chain.

In more adverse conditions, once I have the boat in line with the rode, I raise from the cockpit as above.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
PBZ-

I take it you have windlass controls both in the cockpit and at the bow??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-09-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
That's a roger, only up at the bow though.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-09-2008

Great info...thank you... I do have windlass controls in the cockpit and bow. And I think for my first couple of times I'll choose a well protected anchorage, middle of the week and calm winds. The last 50 feet is chain and the windlass, while old works great. Last year I took it apart and serviced it-so it works even better now. It's much better at hauling in the chain than it does the line/rode. That tends to slip.
Old 03-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Nautical...given that the windlass handles the chain better, you might want to consider going to 100 ft. of it which would let you have 5:1 scope in up to 20ft. of water and minimize the need to use any line in most anchorages.
Old 03-09-2008
Telstar 28

Cam's got a good point... I'd have to ask if the rope is properly sized for the windlass gypsy. If you do go to 100' of chain, get a good snubber.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-09-2008

When I purchased the chain I was so paranoid of buying the wrong size I took the gypsy, from the windlass in to make sure I purchased the proper size line and chain. At the same time I had the rigger, rig up a good snubber for me. Typically in the bay I'm anchoring in 10 feet of water. They say about the Chesapeake, when you run aground you simply get out and walk. It is shallow... thank goodness it's mud. I'm not sure why I have trouble getting the line to "catch" in the gypsy. Practice I presume.
Old 03-10-2008

claritycal36 is on a distinguished road
The windless on my boat is ME!! I start the engine and motor up a bit. Then I scurry up to the bow and haul in chain like mad. When I am up & down, I get back to the cockpit and motor off. Once I am on a steady course with the autopilot on, I return and secure the anchor for sea. I always mentally prepare myself prior to action, by taking into effect the winds, currents, vessel traffic, etc. Be patient and think it all through prior to hoisting the anchor. You should be fine. Plus I like the idea of all chain, easier to handle and assists in a safe anchorage.
Tennyson