Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Check out this dinghy!

Ok, so i'm not the most computer literate person....i found this dinghy on yachtworld but i don't know how to put a link from here. It is the aliseo flying inflatable. Might be of some use to those who are moored far out in the field! What the hell it looks downright fun and scary at the same time!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
2008 Aliseo Flying Boat Airplane Inflatable Boat For Sale
Old 03-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
$40,000 for that... right... I could buy a couple of 30' leadmines for that much money. No thanks....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-09-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I've flown trikes before and, once their engine cuts out they have the glide characteristics of a brick. I can imagine this flying boat with it's high wing loading flies like a brick even with the engine going! And there is not a chance that the airfoil shown could break 40 knots, much less the 70 shown.
But no matter what I might think about it - I would try to fly it at leats once

Old 03-09-2008

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Thanks TB.... This thing is really weird.. it just seems so wrong! Could you imagine towing it, or trying to motor in heavy wind. It seems as though it would just flip over in rough weather. But for the wealthy stinkpot owner it might serve some kind of purpose...like trying to show of and crashing in front of all your friends
Old 03-09-2008

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
I actually planned to start a little side business doing low level aerial photography of coastal properties using a FIB (Flying Inflatable Boat). I was looking at the Polaris model at the time. Already having a private pilots license and several hundred hours experience, I figured I could pick it up probably pretty fast. Simple machines, simple aerodynamics, etc. So, being land-locked where I lived at the time ( in NJ you cannot just land on a lake)
I bought a two place ultralight with wheels to learn on. I acquired 27 hours of flying in these, my own and several other models.

I gave it up. Not only was the idea of the FIB becoming more and more expenisve, but I personally was uncomfortable with the transition from a conventional three-axis aircraft mentality to a weight-shift aircraft mentality.

More simply put...when I am landing a Cessna, Piper, etc. my natural instinct without any thought whatsoever is to slowly pull back on the yoke (elevators) to flare for a landing. If I am flying a radio controlled airplane, I pull back on the joystick. If I am playing a computer flight combat game, I do whatever keyboard equivalent "pulls" the nose up. When I want to flare, when I want to suddenly trade airspeed for altitude, Its a natural reaction to me.

Ah...but here's the rub. With a weight-shift aircraft...if you pull the bar back...you dive. You push the bar away from you to climb, or flare. And this is all logical, and easily learned by a lot of people. I learned it easy enough. If you want to turn right, you push the control bar to the left, etc.

And it all makes sense. And then I find myself making a landing in a rough crosswind, and just as I get into ground turbulance, if I need to make a correction to soften the touchdown...I want to pull back on the stick.
This is not good in an ultralight aircraft. It's known as having a "Cessna moment". I did not like having to mentally remind myself not to do what was instinctual at a very critical moment....doing 40-50 mph in a flying lawn chair three feet above a landing strip. Put the nose down hard on a tricycle landing gear.....well....you get the picture.

The ultralights are also only as safe to fly as the quality of the maintenance level. If you are the kind of guy who likes to walk around with a torque wrench from time to time, who likes to inspect a lot of little fittings and cables, collect tools for twisting aviation wire to safety nuts and bolts with holes drilled through them, keep a close eye on engine mounts, prop balance, and that sort of thing...it's not a bad aircraft.

But at $ 40K for a used one? They were around 25K new when I learned to fly one....and that felt like too much money then.

Old 03-09-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
I've seen a pair of these flying around the Chesapeake Bay, most recently on the hook in Swan Creek. They do look scary but loads of fun too, they looked like they were going about 40 knots?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 03-09-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I think USpirate posted a youtube video of one in action, in Kuwait, if I remember right. It's over on Off Topic I think.