Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008

WuWei is on a distinguished road
Docklines are doubled (this makes 8), and 4 spring lines. It was a feat of engineering to get everything right- a lot of adjusting, especially with the significant high/low tides. I also check my cleats frequently, looking for any cracks around them and my lines. The boat is ALWAYS backed in- transom to the dock, with a big Taylor fender. We get a lot of sudden storms with little notice, so the boat is always secured at dock. Especially important in hurricane season!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2008

LynW is on a distinguished road
Hurricane force winds forecast here (southern England) tonight. Central pressure 27.9" (945 hPa). And one of the highest tides of the year .. 22ft. Lot of people practicing these tactics today, but there are still going to be some go down.

Last edited by LynW; 03-09-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Altough its sad to see those photos, it looks like the boats are smiling doesn't it???
No, this boat is smiling!

I can't beleive they actually manned the rails.. how embarrassing
Old 03-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynW View Post
Hurricane force winds forecast here (southern England) tonight. And one of the highest tides of the year. Lot of people practicing these tactics today, but there are still going to be some go down.
Lyn, I hope you and your boat will be okay!

I think the key is to practice the tactics before hand, that way, you're not guessing what is right when the big one comes. Unfortunately, sometimes, no matter how prepared we are, when the big one hits, no amount of planning can save the boat or the house.

It's just so odd. When I think of England, I think of mushy peas, pubs, overcast rainy weather, and the Royals. I never ever would have associated England with hurricane force winds. Weird weather patterns this year!
Old 03-09-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I've found it helpful to see how the boat rides during the blow and to make adjustments. Then again, it's good to keep track of fingers and limbs.
Old 03-09-2008

LynW is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Lyn, I hope you and your boat will be okay!
Many thanks for that, but fortunately my boat is in Victoria, BC! Going back in a couple of weeks. We've been helping friends here today.
Old 03-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just remember, BoatUS found that a majority of the docklines that failed were due to the nylon heating up and melting from friction. Use chafe protection that allows the water to get to the line inside, so the water can cool and lubricate the nylon line fibers and prevent them from heating and melting. I generally use the polyester/spectra woven chafe sleeves. Rubber or vinyl hose will make things worse since they'll trap the heat in the rope and prevent the water from getting to the rope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Just remember, BoatUS found that a majority of the docklines that failed were due to the nylon heating up and melting from friction. Use chafe protection that allows the water to get to the line inside, so the water can cool and lubricate the nylon line fibers and prevent them from heating and melting. I generally use the polyester/spectra woven chafe sleeves. Rubber or vinyl hose will make things worse since they'll trap the heat in the rope and prevent the water from getting to the rope.
Thanks for the info, SD. I had pondered using the hose trick, but, hell, it's just easier to buy new lines! My new ones "supposedly" have UV protection... We'll see about that... Maybe if I dip them in a vat of ScotchGuard....
Old 03-09-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Yeah, the last time a parted a mooring line it was because I didn't use water penetrable chafing gear.
Old 03-09-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I rigged a sprinkler drip watering system from home depot. The lectrasan pumps into the holding tank instead of overboard, the drip system takes the recycled water from the holding tank and runs up through the stanchions out along the lifelines, over to the where the fairleads are, then drips down onto the dock lines as the run through the fairlead. In summertime, I switch the drip nozzle for misters and turn them upside down. Really cools down the cockpit, you'd be surprised. Still can't get a date though.

Vaya con Dios