SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (
-   -   Captains license for Sailboats (

conery 03-12-2008 12:32 AM

Captains license for Sailboats
I know you can get a 6pack 100ton, 200ton ect....
But what and how do you get a sailboat captains license?

Can anyone shead some light on this?
Dose sea time on power boats also count for a sailboat captains license?
I think sea time on a sailboat counts for a power boat license.

Any help?

gershel 03-12-2008 12:49 AM

I have a 50 ton masters with a sail endorsment. I don't think there is a seperate license just for sail.

dbrimm 03-12-2008 01:07 AM

There isn't a separate license for sail (at least for the USCG), just an endorsement that is attached to whatever license you may hold. For example I have a 200 ton, OUPV (6pack) w/ sail endorsement.

Your time doesn't have to be from sailboats though the USCG may question it if you have no sail time... time is time.

sailingdog 03-12-2008 01:20 AM

In the US... there a captain's license is a captain's license... and issued by the USCG. While you can get a sailing endorsement, I don't believe that there are separate "sailboat-specific" captain's licenses. IIRC, time at sea doesn't differentiate between time on sailing craft and power craft.

chucklesR 03-12-2008 07:13 AM

Funny, from what you are saying then to get a Master of Sail requires no time actually on deck of a sailboat? Somebody must be misreading the back of the cracker jack box.

I'm going to total up my rowboat, canoe and kayak time and see if I can get one tomorrow.

sailingdog 03-12-2008 07:39 AM

Getting a Master of Sail is not the same thing as just getting a USCG license. Your new avatar must be addling your brain, since the skull is so much smaller... :)

bubb2 03-12-2008 07:54 AM


Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 281302)
Getting a Master of Sail is not the same thing as just getting a USCG license. Your new avatar must be addling your brain, since the skull is so much smaller... :)

you can have a 6-pack license with a sail endorsement or a Master's with a sail endorsement. Endorsements are also used for towing.

chucklesR 03-12-2008 08:00 AM

Exactly, you can not get a sail endorsement without direct sailing experience - which is the point I was alluding to.

The USCG requires that a Mate near coastal or a Master inland have at least 180 days of sailing experience in their life for a sailing endorsement and a Master near coastal needs at least 360 days of sailing experience to qualify for this endorsement.

btrayfors 03-12-2008 08:03 AM

USCG licensing structure is complex, but information is available on all classes of deck licenses here: USCG Licensing

The 'Sail Endorsement' or 'Towing Endorsement' is available separately, and attaches to your master's license. The written exam for the sail endorsement is very elementary....any experienced sailor can pass it easily, and just about anyone who studies a bit can pass it even without a lot of time under sail.


bubb2 03-12-2008 08:11 AM

Another funny thing about USCG license, is when i got my first 6-pack license all the sea time i filled was on my own sailboat. (360 days) The CG will issue a license that restricts you to a power boat. Until you pass the sail endorsement you are not qualified to operate a sailboat.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome