Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008
One Lucky Dog

conery is on a distinguished road
Captains license for Sailboats

I know you can get a 6pack 100ton, 200ton ect....
But what and how do you get a sailboat captains license?

Can anyone shead some light on this?
Dose sea time on power boats also count for a sailboat captains license?
I think sea time on a sailboat counts for a power boat license.

Any help?
Conery
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2008

gershel is on a distinguished road
I have a 50 ton masters with a sail endorsment. I don't think there is a seperate license just for sail.
Marc
Old 03-12-2008

dbrimm is on a distinguished road
There isn't a separate license for sail (at least for the USCG), just an endorsement that is attached to whatever license you may hold. For example I have a 200 ton, OUPV (6pack) w/ sail endorsement.

Your time doesn't have to be from sailboats though the USCG may question it if you have no sail time... time is time.
Old 03-12-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In the US... there a captain's license is a captain's license... and issued by the USCG. While you can get a sailing endorsement, I don't believe that there are separate "sailboat-specific" captain's licenses. IIRC, time at sea doesn't differentiate between time on sailing craft and power craft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-12-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Funny, from what you are saying then to get a Master of Sail requires no time actually on deck of a sailboat? Somebody must be misreading the back of the cracker jack box.

I'm going to total up my rowboat, canoe and kayak time and see if I can get one tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Getting a Master of Sail is not the same thing as just getting a USCG license. Your new avatar must be addling your brain, since the skull is so much smaller...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-12-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Getting a Master of Sail is not the same thing as just getting a USCG license. Your new avatar must be addling your brain, since the skull is so much smaller...
you can have a 6-pack license with a sail endorsement or a Master's with a sail endorsement. Endorsements are also used for towing.

Last edited by bubb2; 03-12-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Exactly, you can not get a sail endorsement without direct sailing experience - which is the point I was alluding to.

The USCG requires that a Mate near coastal or a Master inland have at least 180 days of sailing experience in their life for a sailing endorsement and a Master near coastal needs at least 360 days of sailing experience to qualify for this endorsement.
Old 03-12-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
USCG licensing structure is complex, but information is available on all classes of deck licenses here: USCG Licensing

The 'Sail Endorsement' or 'Towing Endorsement' is available separately, and attaches to your master's license. The written exam for the sail endorsement is very elementary....any experienced sailor can pass it easily, and just about anyone who studies a bit can pass it even without a lot of time under sail.

Bill
Old 03-12-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Another funny thing about USCG license, is when i got my first 6-pack license all the sea time i filled was on my own sailboat. (360 days) The CG will issue a license that restricts you to a power boat. Until you pass the sail endorsement you are not qualified to operate a sailboat.