SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Moorings in New Bern, NC?

10K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just taking a wild shot here, does anyone know who owns/controls mooring buoys in the Neuse/Trent river junction in New Bern, NC? Or for that matter, if they are privately sunk moorings? Just saw them the other day driving over the Hwy 70 bridge to James City. Looks to be maybe a dozen white buoys with boats moored. Looking for a slip/mooring in the area, but not having much luck. On a lot of waiting lists. Thanks!!

#3 ·
Thanks PB,

I didn't know they had lowered their prices, I'll check again with them. The marina basically emptied when the new owners bought it and raised the price to $12/ft, but I haven't checked in a few months. The only issue I see is there is no haul out/yard in which to effect repairs. Do you have any recommendations for decent marinas within, say 25 miles of New Bern? Again, thanks!

#4 ·
Check down at Oriental. Sailcraft, Whittikar Creek and Whittikar Creek Point.
Much better base to sail from, in my opinion. There's also a couple or so on the East Bank between New Bern and Oriental, though I don't know their names.

#6 ·
Definitely a better place to sail from and definitely the best place for service... nice little town too. It's considered the sailing capital of NC. It's right on the ICW and central to many place worth sailing to.

check out TownDock.net | Oriental NC News

#5 ·
Will do. I know Oriental is at least 15 min closer to the wind water wise, but it's also a 30-40 min drive from New Bern. Will check it out though, thanks for the advise! Also, does you or anyone know If it would be feasible to sink a private mooring anywhere near? Just a curiousity. Thanks again!

#7 ·
The drive is more like 25-30 mins max. They just widened part of highway 55 too so that makes the drive better. Not sure about sinking a private mooring but i know you would need a permit. We are about to put our mooring in this spring.

Just curious... what is your bridge clearance? There are great places to anchor under the bridge but you would need to be no taller than 43'. The clearance is actually 45' but i wouldn't cut it too close. Is anchoring not an option? Sounds like you are looking for something more permanent.

#8 ·
Thanks joel,

My air draft is about 36 feet. I definitely need something a little more permanent. I rotate between MI and New Bern every three months, so the boat will sit unattended for up to 3 months at a time. If i do keep her on a mooring, I find someone to check on her occasionally. I really wouldn't mind paying for one like the ones under the bridge, but no one has any info on them. Again, thanks!

#9 ·
Just be careful where you anchor, I understand a number of sailors have been fined for anchoring in the Trent. I don't know the details. Also, as there is not actually a legally designated anchorage there, you will be required to display an anchor light at night, even when you are gone. This is one of the few places I know of where this is enforced even in off-season, non busy times. Be prepared to pay property tax to both New Bern and Craven County, even if the boat is only there one day a year. I don't know about the rates at The Sheraton, but be advised they have required evacuation in any named storm.

#10 ·
As of a couple of years ago, you could put down private moorings in NC in front of your own property, but you have to have a permit (and perhaps pay a fee..I'm not sure on this). You have to have approval of property owners on either side also. I don't recall the government group overseeing this, but its the same group that you need to go through to put up a bulkhead or pier. I don't recall what the situation is if you don't own the land next to the buoy, but I suspect there might be some restrictions here. People pay a lot to get a water front lot and I would expect there are some laws protecting them against just anyone coming and dropping a mooring bouy. I you have seen a field of buoys (I don't think I every have in NC), then they probably belong to a marina or municipal government and the approvals would likely be similar to what you would need to build a marina.

#11 ·
Bermuda - if you're still checking this thread, check with Neptune Yacht Sales (in the houseboat on D dock at the Sheraton). From what I understand, they put in the moorings you were wondering about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.