Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Was a good time - not bad for a $25 non-lego built Ketch Fun time had and yes - it points incredibly well....Thanks for the invite!!! Had a blast - who says that the Portuguese are the only ones that can sail all year round !!
Attached Thumbnails
Puget Sound Sailnetters-img_6693.jpg  

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by artbyjody; 03-17-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
That pic musta been when we were in Flounder Bay still, on the way out.
Old 03-17-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I tried talking the 1st mate into heading out the Pass and looking for you guys this weekend but she was at the tail end of cold that's been going around, so we stayed home and did our taxes instead, so we had a lot more fun than you guys. Next time.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 03-17-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
It was nice out, as far as it goes. It stopped raining just before we headed out. We tacked against variable winds until we cleared the bay and into the Strait. The winds then went to 12-17 for a rail dipping run across to Lopez. We then sailed within 10 degrees of apparent (damndest thing I seen) at 2 knots in 15 TWS for about 5 minutes waiting for a tanker to clear off. Then I fell off, tightened up and charged across the tanker's wake at 7 knots or so. It made the younguns squeal a bit. After we got back across and fell off sorta downwind, the wind dropped and the rain came for about a half hour. We got back to the bay, found a bit of breeze and finished up our 4.5 hour tour. Another group of newbies hooked on sailing and enough of a good sail to get me through the week. Again, we were the only sailboat out there.
Old 03-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good thing it wasn't a three-hour tour... or I'd have to call you Skipper.. or gilligan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
It was nice out, as far as it goes. It stopped raining just before we headed out. We tacked against variable winds until we cleared the bay and into the Strait. The winds then went to 12-17 for a rail dipping run across to Lopez. We then sailed within 10 degrees of apparent (damndest thing I seen) at 2 knots in 15 TWS for about 5 minutes waiting for a tanker to clear off. Then I fell off, tightened up and charged across the tanker's wake at 7 knots or so. It made the younguns squeal a bit. After we got back across and fell off sorta downwind, the wind dropped and the rain came for about a half hour. We got back to the bay, found a bit of breeze and finished up our 4.5 hour tour. Another group of newbies hooked on sailing and enough of a good sail to get me through the week. Again, we were the only sailboat out there.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-17-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the invitation...

I was out of town last week... Hope another opportunity arises!

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 03-24-2008
On the hard

I sure one will.

Here's Jody in the groove.

The newbies having fun.

No wind...

Where's the friggin' wind?

Old 04-05-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Thanks Marty for having me along, it was a blast.

I am sure Marty's account will differ, but we all met up 10 AM at Shilshole Marina's gas dock. Did the AFOC greeting (and if he is not one - he has my nomination now)...

Got everything prepped. And I have to say a very nicely laid out boat. Lines were intelligently routed, new, color coded, no clutter whatsoever. I was kinda amazed by the interior as well.

What interested me alot was the traveler was on the deck in front of the cabin way entry. I'll admit - I initially wondered how that would work - but it was alot less clutter when sailing than what I have experienced with over deck traveler. But enough of the BS - great looking boat...

I was more worried about how I would actually effect the team there, that consisted of his two sons, his daughter, and me...Me being a bit rusty to begin with and not all that knowledgeable..(more to come on the results of that)...

We positioned to start at a good spot, but got cut off by a boat coming down our starboard side... none the less, got out of the gate with much of the fleet behind...I have to admit - I would of been freaked out a bit myself, but calm cool - collected.... they were and once we got got out - you couldn't wipe the smile off Marty's face if you tried.

His daughter explained to me "That is his sailing face, I've never seem not smile no matter what as long as the sails are up and the boat is going"...

We had to turn past the "Rock", which was an actual rock..We came around, and unfortunately - we lost about ten minutes because I was absolutely no help trying to assist his son get the spinnaker up, and somehow or another his son should of trusted his judgment (Taking blame for it as lack of not knowing what to do is no excuse - but if I would had a few brews - it would of been up in in no time! ha ha)... Luckily, Marty came up got things squared away and off we went...

We finished some where in the middle of the class, executing a bunch of gybes to beat out few boats that were trying to close in...The Committee Members enjoyed the action at least.

And that is the update - I'll have some pictures up - as his daughter was nice enough to use my camera and get tons of them (come to think of it she didn't get pictures of the spinnaker mishap - so it didn't happen).

It was great fun! Thanks for having me as part of the team!
Attached Thumbnails
Puget Sound Sailnetters-april2008-014.jpg   Puget Sound Sailnetters-april2008-010.jpg   Puget Sound Sailnetters-april2008-018.jpg   Puget Sound Sailnetters-april2008-049.jpg   Puget Sound Sailnetters-april2008-051.jpg  

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-06-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Sorry Jody,

049.jpg is the spinny screw up, or at least ONE of the two screw ups. Not sure if that is the hoist up screw up, or the gybe screw up that did not work! Oh well, as they say, the worst day sailing, beats the best day working!!

I want to know what happened to Tenuki, saw him driving down the road, said he could come......oh well........maybe he got out on his boat.

Dejonda had his main up when I came into the marina, so hopefully his fix's were getting fixed!

marty
Old 04-06-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Marty:

I hope you liked my "new" mainsail... I had Schattauer sails add a second set of reef points, sail numbers, and the C30 logo...

I also got my new traveler installed. I'm starting to become a happy camper..
Now I can get my new dodger fabricated, and start on the rigid boom vang..

This is an expensive year for the boat. Can't afford too many more of these!

I'll be chasing you guys around the course soon!

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown