So, as an update - I did pick up my Barberis on Thursday of this week. Unfortunately because it was at Shilshole - I couldn't get a access key to pick it up on Friday - so, instead of having the 24hrs to have a shortlist of possible crew, I just brought it in.
Had a bit of a engine mishap (almost) about 1/2 mile from my marina. It had been running fine but with lotsa smoke for the most part at anything above 1800 RPMs. I had known that from the sea trails. So, considering all the previous posts on running it hard at max RPM for 5-8 minutes - I did so.
Loud flipping sirens go off in the cockpit and I check and its a high temp water . I immediately shut things down. Wondering what to do. Coast Guard was doing terrorists training with the Victoria Clipper. I kept drifting closer and closer. I left my camera in the car so - no pics of that exciting episode.
After checking through hulls, oil, etc - I finally Called David. It was almost as if the boat suddenly decided because he was on the phone that it would go. Apparently something either got sucked up or the water strained was clogged. I managed to get it running for the rest of the duration of the trip to the marina.
I am on the fence about stating what happened per the rest of the adventure. But, it will evidentially come out. Docking was never my forte. It took me a good six months to get my Catalina docked in perfectly each time without a threat of "grab the boat hook - push off", or "emergency reverse and spin around go back out and come in again". But, I eventually got there - and even when I got the outboard on it - I managed that fairly well. However, this is a vessel 500% bigger in all aspects - Taller, wider, and longer.
However, I felt fairly comfortable as David practiced with me last weekend. In fact - I felt fairly confident - that nothing major would happen. Take it slow...use reverse for a burst, throw in neutral - and it should be a walk in the park. No such thing.
I come in make the turn for the straight shot. Just as the bow crosses the dock - a gust of strong wind comes out of the SW, and blows me sideways into the other dock. I advert hitting it, but for some reason I can not steer in reverse regardless of how much juice I put in. I am also trying to think rationally - and remembering that panic is only rewarded by disaster.
In the end - my lack of knowledge on the handling of this vessel and the wind - I ended up managing to miss the 80 foot sailboat, as I ran forward and pushed off. But the second attempt of getting control... Again the bow just pointed for it - and for a brief second - my anchor played tag along with his toe rail. And that is when he came running topside.
In the end me almost to tears - not about my boat but because I just couldn't believe I did damage to his boat - and just about in panic mode. With assistance from him - managed to get the boat clear and in open water for the second attempt which went eh almost flawlessly. The owner was more than understanding - and he told me about some of his docking mishaps and said not to let it get to me. Damage is minimal in respects (didn't get the hull or anything or tear stantions off - a small gash and a few scuff marks). Nothing happened to mine - although freakishly, the anchor self deployed (maybe that is why the second attempt worked). Lesson learned - less is not more necessarily with the Barberis when it comes to powering in.
At any rate - David came by today for a tour as well - going over the diesel with me (much appreciated). We isolated the fuel leak issue, and determined probably cause of overheating was clogged strainer. I will fix both and replace the strainer with something larger - as the one on board is a bit tiny for the application.
Otherwise here are some picks and check out the gear / maintenance section for "guess what is it...