Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Worst part is, I saw Davids boat out of the slip when I got to mine to wash and wax her. Then they showed back up with out saying HI! grrrrrrrrrr

Oh well, it looked to be a great day on the water. Lots of rigs in the parking lot, barely had room to park my beast! Joys of driving a crew cab dually pickumup!

Marty
Old 04-13-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Sorry we missed you.. We were concentrating on docking!

By the way, my new traveler, genny, and engine cables are NICE!

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I was hoping you were out trying the new stuff! Glad to know it worked. I was going to do a bouy race, but no crew. So spouse decided brunch at Scotts sounded better! Then she worked in the yard, and I worked played on on the boat!

marty
Old 04-13-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I didn't get out yesterday but I did today and had a SWEET spinnaker run. We ran off a while and then trimmed in tight and had the apparent about 15* forward of the beam for a nice 8 knot run. I'm looking forward to getting my new sail this coming week.
Old 04-14-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
We got out Friday after work and anchored off Hope Island. Drank rum/coke and sat in the cockpit watching the stars. Did maintenance Saturday then the kids came up in their boat. Had a campfire Saturday night on shore. Son-in-law winched me up the mast so I could re-install my masthead wind indicator. A view from the top:

La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-14-2008

My son LOVES the rope swing on Hope Island. First time we were there he spent at least 6 hours on it.

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 04-14-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Yep, our family and guests have all sorts of bumps and bruises from that swing. First time I went off the picnic table, I fought an urge to scream like a girl.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-19-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
[Long POST]

So, as an update - I did pick up my Barberis on Thursday of this week. Unfortunately because it was at Shilshole - I couldn't get a access key to pick it up on Friday - so, instead of having the 24hrs to have a shortlist of possible crew, I just brought it in.

Had a bit of a engine mishap (almost) about 1/2 mile from my marina. It had been running fine but with lotsa smoke for the most part at anything above 1800 RPMs. I had known that from the sea trails. So, considering all the previous posts on running it hard at max RPM for 5-8 minutes - I did so.

Loud flipping sirens go off in the cockpit and I check and its a high temp water . I immediately shut things down. Wondering what to do. Coast Guard was doing terrorists training with the Victoria Clipper. I kept drifting closer and closer. I left my camera in the car so - no pics of that exciting episode.

After checking through hulls, oil, etc - I finally Called David. It was almost as if the boat suddenly decided because he was on the phone that it would go. Apparently something either got sucked up or the water strained was clogged. I managed to get it running for the rest of the duration of the trip to the marina.

I am on the fence about stating what happened per the rest of the adventure. But, it will evidentially come out. Docking was never my forte. It took me a good six months to get my Catalina docked in perfectly each time without a threat of "grab the boat hook - push off", or "emergency reverse and spin around go back out and come in again". But, I eventually got there - and even when I got the outboard on it - I managed that fairly well. However, this is a vessel 500% bigger in all aspects - Taller, wider, and longer.

However, I felt fairly comfortable as David practiced with me last weekend. In fact - I felt fairly confident - that nothing major would happen. Take it slow...use reverse for a burst, throw in neutral - and it should be a walk in the park. No such thing.

I come in make the turn for the straight shot. Just as the bow crosses the dock - a gust of strong wind comes out of the SW, and blows me sideways into the other dock. I advert hitting it, but for some reason I can not steer in reverse regardless of how much juice I put in. I am also trying to think rationally - and remembering that panic is only rewarded by disaster.

In the end - my lack of knowledge on the handling of this vessel and the wind - I ended up managing to miss the 80 foot sailboat, as I ran forward and pushed off. But the second attempt of getting control... Again the bow just pointed for it - and for a brief second - my anchor played tag along with his toe rail. And that is when he came running topside.

In the end me almost to tears - not about my boat but because I just couldn't believe I did damage to his boat - and just about in panic mode. With assistance from him - managed to get the boat clear and in open water for the second attempt which went eh almost flawlessly. The owner was more than understanding - and he told me about some of his docking mishaps and said not to let it get to me. Damage is minimal in respects (didn't get the hull or anything or tear stantions off - a small gash and a few scuff marks). Nothing happened to mine - although freakishly, the anchor self deployed (maybe that is why the second attempt worked). Lesson learned - less is not more necessarily with the Barberis when it comes to powering in.

At any rate - David came by today for a tour as well - going over the diesel with me (much appreciated). We isolated the fuel leak issue, and determined probably cause of overheating was clogged strainer. I will fix both and replace the strainer with something larger - as the one on board is a bit tiny for the application.

Otherwise here are some picks and check out the gear / maintenance section for "guess what is it...

Puget Sound Sailnetters-sailingapril2006-045.jpg

Puget Sound Sailnetters-sailingapril2006-055.jpg

Puget Sound Sailnetters-sailingapril2006-056.jpg

Puget Sound Sailnetters-sailingapril2006-060.jpg

Puget Sound Sailnetters-sailingapril2006-063.jpg

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-19-2008

She's a beautiful boat, Jody. Thanks for sharing her with me (us)!

Old 04-19-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
She's a beautiful boat, Jody. Thanks for sharing her with me (us)!
Certainly welcome - and anyone here is always welcome aboard. N-106 at Elliott Bay Marina.. But truly thanks for taking the time to break down the things I needed to look for and explaining all the nuances, tips, of that Yanmar etc...Between the great access and now actually knowing what to look for and maintain makes a huge difference!

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Last edited by artbyjody; 04-19-2008 at 09:00 PM.