Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We use this one, The Boater's Log Book and Journal pictured in the link. Hardcover bound, about 1/2 in thick, and sells for $15.

Welcome to Adobe GoLive 6

It has a fuel log, radio log, maintenance log, equipment listing and I think 88 pages for passages. It's an informal format, with entry lines for start/destination, engine hours/rpm, distance traveled, weather observations/forecast and a half page section for comments etc. There is also some basic first aid/safety info as well.

We routinely log all trips, keeping track of days out, overnights out, and each book lasts about a year. In fact we even log it down if we checked the boat and ran the engine for a time over the winter season.

The active one is aboard, the others kept at home for a historical record and occasional review

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 03-25-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2008

whitebill3 is on a distinguished road
Keep it Simple

I spent 10 years from 1972 to 1982 sailing the world. I used spiral college lined notebooks for everything. I still have the one I used for my last trip. They are cheap, they last as long as they are kept in the nav area. Every watch had to record all the particulars of their watch and every morning we had a ceremony to update the the LOP on the chart. I am planning my next journey and their will be a spiral notebook on the nav table to be sure.
Old 03-25-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
I am planning my next journey and their will be a spiral notebook on the nav table to be sure.
I still think the old black & white copy books are better, because they are bound.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like Laboratory notebooks for logs. They're hard cover, good paper, and hard-bound, which makes them excellent for legal purposes. The better ones are acid-free paper, printed on water-resistant paper with permanent inks and will lie flat on the table top. They're not exactly cheap, being about $37 per book, which has 150 pages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-26-2008

dave72205 is on a distinguished road
Log Books are great!

You're not old fashioned, you're just smart.
I was given a log book as a welcome present when I bought my 1964 alberg almost 10 years ago, and am still using it. I don't fill out every outing but many esp if they are memorable, high winds, or neat places. I keep this log on the boat. we use it to recall great trips as well as a reference source for where to go, where the sandbars are, etc.

I keep a separate maintenance log for the boat and engine in a folder with all the maintenance details such as which fuel/water filter, fuel filter etc.
Old 03-26-2008

Shubin.EbbTide is on a distinguished road
I use a simple spiral bound book from Staples. I take a picture of the crew on a daysail or a cruise with my cheapo Polaroid camera. Been sailing since 1967 and am glad I can remember the faces of people who have been on the boat via the pics.

A separate book is for all the other "stuff". . .

Jim on a 1975 Pearson 36
Old 03-26-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
3 ring binder with separate sections for:
fuel, maintenance, inventory and ship's log along with sections for clearing customs and other reference material that I'm always looking up.

It's a great reference when returning to an anchorage ten years later to look up notes, to see how long it took us to make a particular run in the past as well as memorializing great memories.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 03-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Erps-

A three-ring binder isn't a legally useful document if you get into a problem, since the pages can be added and removed with no way to detect the alteration. Makes sense for the Maintenance and inventory sections, but not for the Ship's Log.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-27-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I'm sort of like Chuckles on logs. All my maintenance and equipment records are kept on a spreadsheet saved on a memory stick. And I record every cent and every event no matter how apparently insignificant. It's surprising how often this has helped with warranty issues.

I use an Adlard Coles logbook for trip info but only record details on a trip of some importance. Sailing around my local waters doesn't get recorded even if it's overnight or two or three days. I have thus used the same log book for 8 years and on three different boats. I also record my sailing details on other boats if it's significant because that keeps an on-going record of my sea miles and adds to the "data base" of experiences.

I only check engine hours when I fuel up so that I can log the fuel consumption. I service on 100 hours so I keep half an eye on that but I find no value in recording the engine hours on every sail.

We have a visitors book for genuine visitors (not friends coming down for a day-sail) to record their impressions of their time on board.

Andre
Old 03-27-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Erps-

A three-ring binder isn't a legally useful document if you get into a problem, since the pages can be added and removed with no way to detect the alteration. Makes sense for the Maintenance and inventory sections, but not for the Ship's Log.
I doubt that ship logs for a non-commercial vessel have any bearing in a lawsuit other than it is a documented evidence. A dairy doesn't have to be a bound book, a three ring binder is still a binded document....A binded notebook / log book doesn't have to have page numbers on it, in the end it is what happened and what was recalled - which is why for a recreational sailor it doesn't matter if the log is electronic or on separate 9X5 index cards...or pages in a 3 ring Binder..the mere fact that events can be recalled - the writing down is a bonus and allows one to state this is what I recorded at such and such a time (notebook, napkin, written on your forearm...etc)

Commercially and on military ships - it is different (they have SOPs)... and maybe in a court of law - if one was to get there... it would be recommended but not a judiciary requirement... evidence and recollection in whatever documented form is usually acceptable...besides if a ship goes under - and the log books with... seems a minor point when all said and done...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or