Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008

JohnnyReb is on a distinguished road
Log Books

Do most sailors not use log books anymore?
Reason I ask this question is the apparent lack of selection.
I had some log books from many years ago that I used on my last 2 boats and I am looking for same for my new purchase.

Watch Log: people could sign in/out...record heading, weather, speed, etc. Also was a good device for a checklist (barometer reading, fuel level, radio check,etc.) when coming on duty.

Captain's Log: obvious purpose

Ship's Log: maintenance schedule, recording of new installations, boat history.

Sometimes combined the Captain's Log and Ship's Log but like to keep the Cap'ns Log for memories while transferred Ship's Log at time of sale.

Anyone have suggestions... sources? (Chapman's is not my favorite; WEEMS and PLATH is generally not big enough for a daily log on a 3 month cruise).

Am I just too old fashioned?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2008

citation34 is on a distinguished road
I doubt your old fashioned. I use one for a maintenance record and to track fuel use. Also record trips and recordable stuff. All the young sprites use a computer, I'm sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'Liberty' Citation 34
Old 03-16-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
I use a hard bound, lined 'journal' from Staples. Cost ~ $12 -- they're cheaper than the 'pre-printed' types and you can decide what information you want to record and in what order. True, you have to get out the ruler and line out the columns every day, but it only takes a minute or so. Someone gave us one of the pre-printed logs once -- tried it and found it was structured to burn lots of pages with very little info / page.

IMHO, DIY logs are the best.
Old 03-16-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I prefer and Excel Spreadsheet made for the purpose. It links into another spreadsheet that I use for maintenance. On the same laptop is Office 2007 software(full suite, Word, Powerpoint, OneNote etc..) so my guests can upload pictures, write things and such.
Old 03-16-2008
Sailor Dance

jlmarra is on a distinguished road
My wife and I keep a log for the days events. We let guests write their thoughts and experiences in the log. We note start and end point, weather conditions, sea state, and engine hours (begin and end). We keep a separate log for maintenance items.

John & Joan
S/V Sailor Dance
1990 Caliber 33
Long Island Sound
Old 03-16-2008

JohnnyReb is on a distinguished road
CR, I had thought about a 'puter log; however, on this voyage I want my kids to understand and appreciate "the old" ways and maybe show them that life exists outside a computer screen.(not that I am saying you have that problem... it is just part of growing up today).

They are going to sign on/off duty and have a set of chores and responsibilities while on watch. I may become less rigid in the routine later in the trip.
Looks like a DIY log may be the way to go but think it is a shame no company seems to make an item that was such an important part of maritime custom and tradition.
Old 03-16-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
the hard bound Record book from Staples or Office Depot is excellent for your boat's log keeping. Then have one for Maintenance or sectionalized the record book for the Maintenance. But have one or several for daily observations by your guests. (They may want to take it home with them for memory keeping along with photos).

For the Official log:
Starts at 0001 (midnight) Who is on watch, position at that time, course, speed and weather. During the watch record course & speed changes, weather changes. At end of watch distance traveled and any other data that could be pertinent to your vessel. Errors are single lined out and initialed, no obileration, white out or tear out of pages. Each End of watch entry signed by off going senior watch stander.
You could use the left-hand pages for daily maintenance if you care to. I.E. Engine fluid checks, batteries check, fuel on board and so on. Along with Engine hours and generator hours from last oil & filter change.

Last edited by Boasun; 03-16-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
Field Books used by surveyors, geologists, foresters, environmental scientists, engineers and others come in a variety of page styles (e.g. lined paper on one side, graph paper on the other, etc...) and are typically made out of high-quality water-resistant paper. The standard size bound book is usually about 4 3/4" x 7 1/2" with around 160 pages. One good source is Forestry Suppliers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 03-17-2008
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
I try but it can be difficult.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 03-18-2008
Liveaboard Cruiser

kenalewis is on a distinguished road
Ships Log used on Restless

You might check out:
The International Marine Log Book, C. Dale Nouse
I believe that for a log to have legal standing, it must be bound so that pages cannot be removed and pages must be sequentially numbered.
The Nouse log fills the bill there.
You can browse several example pages on Amazon.com
We keep another guest log for visitors to share their comments etc. and another listing of boats, people, marinas, etc along the way.
Hope this helps.