SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   knots (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/41427-knots.html)

Alden68 03-17-2008 06:08 PM

knots

In another thread a poster mentioned that he keeps loose line in his sailing shorts not only in case he needs a tie-down quickly but because he can practice knots on them.

It got me thinking that it would be a great idea for me because my knot tying repertoire is horrendous. With few exceptions such as hitches on fenders and bowlines on jib sheets, I basically tie "not-a-knots" on everything which is just a version of the shoelace tie with some fancy bends thrown in so my friends can marvel at my sailing knowledge.

How many of you are proficient at knots and what knots other than hitches and bowlines do you recommend?

Can I live the rest of my sailing life tying not-a-knots?

artbyjody 03-17-2008 06:10 PM

There are a few knots you should know...but for the most part if you have lived this long without needing to...here is a great site to learn some of them:

Animated Knots by Grog

Stillraining 03-17-2008 06:31 PM

I can only

think of two words for a guy walking around with his hands down his own shorts practicing tying Knots...............KNOT HEAD!

sailingdog 03-17-2008 06:40 PM

Alden-

You really need to learn some basic knots to sail safely.

The bowline, the round turn and two half-hitches, the cleat hitch, the figure-eight knot, the clove hitch, the sheet bend, and the reef or square knot.

While there are a lot of other knots that are very useful for sailors, you don't really need to know them.

nolatom 03-17-2008 06:48 PM

You should learn the rolling hitch, in case you ever have to tie into an existing towine, or take the strain off a sheet or halyard in order to clear an override.

Alden68 03-17-2008 06:51 PM

Jody - great site!

Stillraining - Pretty sure all knot practicing has to occur with both hands in plain site....I think I read that in Chapmans :)

DJEVANS 03-17-2008 06:53 PM

I can tie 6 out of the 7 listed, Dog, and I don't even sail yet. Where's my prize? :D

artbyjody 03-17-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEVANS (Post 284206)
I can tie 6 out of the 7 listed, Dog, and I don't even sail yet. Where's my prize? :D

Out of banana's?

:D (loosely coupled with a slip knot as in the kind of knots one gets in there back after slipping on one ha ha - not so funny...

DJEVANS 03-17-2008 07:02 PM

It's early Jody. Give yourself some time to warm up.

Stillraining 03-17-2008 07:21 PM

Hmmmm

I knew there was a trick to it... Thanks..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alden68 (Post 284204)
Jody - great site!

Stillraining - Pretty sure all knot practicing has to occur with both hands in plain site....I think I read that in Chapmans :)