Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008
Armchair Horn Sailor

Alden68 is on a distinguished road
knots

In another thread a poster mentioned that he keeps loose line in his sailing shorts not only in case he needs a tie-down quickly but because he can practice knots on them.

It got me thinking that it would be a great idea for me because my knot tying repertoire is horrendous. With few exceptions such as hitches on fenders and bowlines on jib sheets, I basically tie "not-a-knots" on everything which is just a version of the shoelace tie with some fancy bends thrown in so my friends can marvel at my sailing knowledge.

How many of you are proficient at knots and what knots other than hitches and bowlines do you recommend?

Can I live the rest of my sailing life tying not-a-knots?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
There are a few knots you should know...but for the most part if you have lived this long without needing to...here is a great site to learn some of them:

Animated Knots by Grog

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-17-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I can only

think of two words for a guy walking around with his hands down his own shorts practicing tying Knots...............KNOT HEAD!
Old 03-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Alden-

You really need to learn some basic knots to sail safely.

The bowline, the round turn and two half-hitches, the cleat hitch, the figure-eight knot, the clove hitch, the sheet bend, and the reef or square knot.

While there are a lot of other knots that are very useful for sailors, you don't really need to know them.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-17-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
You should learn the rolling hitch, in case you ever have to tie into an existing towine, or take the strain off a sheet or halyard in order to clear an override.
Old 03-17-2008
Armchair Horn Sailor

Alden68 is on a distinguished road
Jody - great site!

Stillraining - Pretty sure all knot practicing has to occur with both hands in plain site....I think I read that in Chapmans
Old 03-17-2008
Peace, Courtney

DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about
I can tie 6 out of the 7 listed, Dog, and I don't even sail yet. Where's my prize?

-Mignon McLaughlin
Old 03-17-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEVANS View Post
I can tie 6 out of the 7 listed, Dog, and I don't even sail yet. Where's my prize?
Out of banana's?

(loosely coupled with a slip knot as in the kind of knots one gets in there back after slipping on one ha ha - not so funny...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-17-2008
Peace, Courtney

DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about
It's early Jody. Give yourself some time to warm up.

-Mignon McLaughlin
Old 03-17-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Hmmmm

I knew there was a trick to it... Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden68 View Post
Jody - great site!

Stillraining - Pretty sure all knot practicing has to occur with both hands in plain site....I think I read that in Chapmans