Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Do you motor around in your sailboat - just because you are "smarter-looking" than powerboaters who are getting there sooner?
. . . your ego or tainting the sailor image? Horrors, what will the guys at the club think, if you pulled up in a powerboat?
Hey TB..... It shows that you actually come from the sailboat elitist, snobby, purist, ect, etc........... sailing capitol of the world - Newport RI Me.... I'm just a small town hick 100 miles from the ocean and I could give a flying fig about what anybody else thinks. I just have no use for power boats past, now, or ever. I'll just ignore your wakes because I understand it's a 'personal problem'..... and as nasty as that may sound it's not meant to be It's the Gold Chain Navy 'personal problem' types that get my one finger salute when needed after a bad wake
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TB is obviously trying to rationalize his descent into darkness...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-18-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Not rich sonofa - couldn't be further off in your assessment of my status. I'm just a working stiff like most here.

Guess I should get into the habit of using more smilys - and I wasn't criticizing you for your thread. I was however, being both sarcastic and critical of how blatant the separation of powerboating is to sailing.

Most sailors have motorized tenders - some with some serious HP outboards. I believe this is to satisfy a secret and dark desire to go faster (g). Hypocrisy comes in many shades.
Old 03-18-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
TB is obviously trying to rationalize his descent into darkness...
The only descent into darkness I have is when I'm diving the deep blue SD - don't have a need to rationalize anything.
Old 03-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yup... he's a working stiff... nice guy too.
Quote:
Not rich sonofa - couldn't be further off in your assessment of my status. I'm just a working stiff like most here.

Guess I should get into the habit of using more smilys - and I wasn't criticizing you for your thread. I was however, being both sarcastic and critical of how blatant the separation of powerboating is to sailing.
Ummm... this is why I have a trimaran... satisfies the go-fast fix needs... but doesn't require massive quantities of fuel to do so.

Quote:
Most sailors have motorized tenders - some with some serious HP outboards. I believe this is to satisfy a secret and dark desire to go faster (g). Hypocrisy comes in many shades.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-18-2008
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
I'll just ignore your wakes because I understand it's a 'personal problem'..... and as nasty as that may sound it's not meant to be It's the Gold Chain Navy 'personal problem' types that get my one finger salute when needed after a bad wake
That's just cruel to even mention me in the same paragragh as the knuckle-dragging types who go out of their way to roll a sailor. You know me a bit better than that - but your attitude is a perfect example of the point I'm trying to make about stereotyping.
Old 03-18-2008

drynoc is on a distinguished road
All very nice, but...

The fact is that sailing is a shrinking part of the boating scene. Many modern people don't want to take the time to get anywhere, and don't want to put up with the space limitations that are inherent in monohull sailboats. It's likely that some power boaters might not be out as much this year with gas prices being what they are, but it's not likely they'll convert to sail.
Old 03-18-2008
Señor Member

There are intelligent alternatives to the gas-guzzling, twin engined express cruisers and sport-fishers out there. Not going into a discussion comparing these types on a sailing forum - but efficient, single engine diesel, semi-displacement boats will enjoy a resurgence in the foreseeable future.
Old 03-18-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's just cruel to even mention me in the same paragragh as the knuckle-dragging types who go out of their way to roll a sailor. You know me a bit better than that - but your attitude is a perfect example of the point I'm trying to make about stereotyping.
Yaa.... I knew that would come out worse than I meant it but..... year after year..... wake after wake after wake ...... yup, they all look the same
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 03-18-2008

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I tried to resist, I really did, but I can't hold out any longer, I just have to post a plug for the MacGregor. Sure it does not do both extremely well but it does do both well enough to satisfy folks like me. And yes I started out a paddler too, did a few multi-day excursions in my canoe and lived to tell about it. I still prefer sailing hands down no question, but I also motor on those calm days. I rarely if ever use WOT which would get me upwards of 15MPH,(50HP) I usually cruise along at 3000-4000 rpm which gets me 8-10mph and am happy with that but only when on extended trips. For day sailing/boating if there is insufficient wind to sail I simply don't go out, I don't really enjoy motoring per say it is simply a neccessary option when on extended cruises but an unneccessary option for day use. When I do motor sail on trips I can get 4 hours out of a 25 liter tank and sometimes more if wind and current are favourable. One time I downwinded sailed just ahead of a storm at 8-10 knots all the way to home port with the engine running about 2000 rpm just to keep the stern in place due to following seas but the wind kept me well faster than the engine could do, all the engine did was help keep the stern more steady. During sailing season I am out there more than most and it is amazing how many sailors motor, more than you'd think. I believe they are somewhat like myself, if travelling they motor, if just out for the day they sail.
When I am too old to sail I may opt for a Trawler, they seem like a viable alternative and I never travel much faster than a trawler anyway, even with 50hp.