Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
The short direct answer in my case would be - Limited Vacation Time. I day sail or overnight around NGBay every weekend for my sailing enjoyment but the couple weeks during the summer we have for vacations are taken at various islands out of the bay. My wife's vacation weeks as a Nurse are chisled in stone so unless a Hurricane is forcast moorings are reserved and we go on schedule - period. If the wind is perfect (rarely) of course I'll Sail. If there is any cross wind at all I'll motor sail which is what the NC does best, but if on the nose or too light on the tail so that the sails do nothing but slat they come down. So in the long skinny NGBay where the winds are usually blowing up or down it you can just look around to see who is out sailing for enjoyment or is taking his vacation/weekend home from point A to point B.
I highly doubt that it is only your case Christy, more likely the majority of cases. My wife & I have the same dilema which is why we motor on extended cruising - because we are on vacation and tied to schedules/reservations. The rest of the year we only use the engine in and out of the marina and cannot wait to shut it off and raise the sails.

PS Siberian, never ever did water skiing with mine
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
I sailed in mediterranean when I was younger... Then got into power boating then got back into sailing after dealing with engine problems... I still like motor boats for fishing but enjoying the sea means rising sails and feel the breeze to me...
Gas prices are making diesel engines popular again... I've seen lots of power boaters converting to sailboats to motor since diesel engines are cheaper to run but they are clueless about sailing...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 03-19-2008

siberian is on a distinguished road
What a lot of great posts from people with incredibly diverse and interesting backgrounds. There will always be 'it's all about me' people out there 'power or sail' no matter what, but having lived on a boat, in a houseboat and messin' about in boats since a kid, I find most boaters a far more interesting lot than their 'suburban' counterparts. Sure, we all own houses but 'who' discusses the merits of post and beam vs a rancher vs a back split? Who cares! Having sailed and powered, I'm still fascinated by anything that floats. Maybe it's because my first boat was a raft that lasted all of 30 mins.
What's worse.. a snob or a red-neck? (yes, unfortunately they boat too) Generally speaking, give me the company of 'boaters' any day. If it floats..you're half way there.
Old 03-19-2008

sifucarl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sifucarl
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
The short direct answer in my case would be - Limited Vacation Time. B.
Right, I guess I hadn't really thought of that, since by the time I get out on my own, all my ties to land should be cut and time will be all I have.

The plan is, no plan.