SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How far do you live from your boat?

21K views 198 replies 170 participants last post by  TomMaine 
#1 ·
How long does it take to get from home to your boat? I live in SE Missouri (Cape Girardeau) and sail on Kentucky Lake. It is 107 miles from my house to the lake, takes 2 hours depending on traffic. I would love to hear how long it takes some of you all to do your trips.
DD

#4 ·
1-1/2 Hours each way at 75MPH.

I don't mind it during sailing season, we drive up on Friday evening and return on Sunday evening.

Where it can be a pain in the ass, is now, during Spring.
Driving up on Saturday to work on the boat all day and than returning in the evening, makes for a long day. Of course, I complain, but we love it.

#102 ·
1-1/2 Hours each way at 75MPH.

I don't mind it during sailing season, we drive up on Friday evening and return on Sunday evening.

Where it can be a pain in the ass, is now, during Spring.
Driving up on Saturday to work on the boat all day and than returning in the evening, makes for a long day. Of course, I complain, but we love it.
There are pros and cons for everything.

Having to actually "pack and Go" to the boat can be exciting....you make a day of it.
That's fun. We used to do that, and sailing was more fun then, in the respect that it was more of an event.

We keep our sailboat in our back yard, the Ottawa river.
If only we would reward ourselves with a nice quiet sail, once in a while.

:)

#183 ·
it takes me about 25 minutes to get to the boat. i'm thinking of changing marinas next year but then it would take 35 minutes. with my Rhode island, small state mentality, that's quite a hard decision to make.
So true. I used to work in Rhode Island, and I was always amazed that people from the Westerly, for example, would only go "Down City" to Providence if they also reserved a hotel room so they wouldn't have to drive all the way home afterwards.

#9 ·
Wchevron - I'd say if the marina move is good - DO IT. A few years ago I moved from way up in the Greenwich Bay section of NGBay for a much better marina in every way down in Wickford. It upped my drive time from 1 1/2 hrs to 1 3/4 hrs but so what - the Marina itself is much better and the area of the bay I moved to is much better for day sail options and also to head out to the ocean.

#10 ·
As of a few weeks ago, 5 minutes to cross the island - from our house on the east shore to the marina on the west shore. Close yes, but too far, since the boat was sold.

Although, when we buy another sailboat it will be kept on a mooring just a couple minutes away.

#14 ·
205 miles, 3 hrs. 15 min. Like tjk- we go up on Friday around lunch time and return Sunday night after dinner. With gas prices high, we tend to stay up north for more full weeks and much of July. The only real issue, as stated, is having the time to get projects done in the spring before launch. Seems like the weathers always crappy when I'm there and sunny when I'm at home.

#15 ·
30 miles, 30 minutes.

#16 ·
christyleigh
i was just joking although my wife was complaining. i'm at brewers, greenwich bay now. hoping to get into allen harbor next year. that ten minute drive saves about 2 hours sailing. are you at brewer's wickford or somewhere else?

#18 ·
1.3 miles to the marina. If we order our take out dinner ahead, we are under sail in about 15 minutes. Plenty of sailing before sunset. But the Navesink River where we sail is not very long. 3-4 miles between bridges and not too wide. It gets a bit boring. Getting out to Sandy Hook Bay is an hour of motoring through a winding channel before we can set sail. But I ain't complaining. I'd rather motor the boat for an hour than sit in the car for an hour.

#19 ·
45 minutes on a good day...depending on how bad the traffic is, it can be as long as two hours.

#26 ·
Not close enough, but not bad

We are about 1 h door to launch parking lot away from our boat. If we leave our house by 8:30 AM on a Saturday, we can be sailing no later than 10:30.

It is not far away about 40 miles, but the first 33 miles takes about 30 minutes and the last 7 miles and short walk to pier takes 30 minutes. The problem is our boat is in a town that you can't get to from here. Basically you have to go through other towns (small and few roads) to get to. In the summer once past 10:00, it becomes a zoo, which is why I tell my wife, we need to leave no later than 8:45 so we can get a spot in the launch parking lot.

Moving the boat won't help either as most areas for us are about the same distance/time wise.

DrB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.