Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008

cosmoking is on a distinguished road
The Filthy Whore

This is a sister ship to my own Coronado 41. I met the owners about 1 year ago at the haulout yard here in Seattle. Great folks!

Last edited by cosmoking; 03-20-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2008

l0keman is on a distinguished road
Nice... thanx a million. A few things to take note of, though. My boat is a piece of crap. It tries it's damndest to sink often. I mostly just sail in the Biloxi bay and never am more than a couple hundred yards away from shore. It's a trailer sailor... it holds nothing of value aboard other than my kids and my cooler of beer, all of which float
I was just worried about naming it that b/c I have heard of people being given tickets for profain language written on thier cars and heard you can't have a custom plate with profanity either. Since DOT controls boating... I figured the rulse would carry over and could not fin any proof either way.

Thanx a ton though. The name actually has meaning to me too. I always liked it since I was a kid and dreamed of a boat. When I bought the boat, I was married and my wife wanted to name the boat after her.... well turns out, I'll be respecting her wishes after all!
Old 03-20-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
"The Filthy Whore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0keman View Post
When I bought the boat, I was married and my wife wanted to name the boat after her.... well turns out, I'll be respecting her wishes after all!
l0kemon,
If for real, your situation - to me anyway - is both funny and sad. It reminds me of a publicity campaign a friend created a few years ago.

He was going through a bitter divorce with his wife and being the witty comedian he was, developed a logo he had screened on T-shirts and hats for all his friends to wear at the courthouse, in protest to his wife's unrealistic demands. He even renamed his sailboat and applied the graphic on each side of the hull.

Anybody who spent any time on Newport Harbor from the 80's to today, or knew him personally, will recognize the boat name and know who I'm referring to.

Choose whatever name you're comfortable with and deal with the public's reactions. It's your boat and your misfortune.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 03-20-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2008
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
This is one reason why I frequent sailnet less and less due to discussions like this one. What a waste of time.
Old 03-20-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Sorry we wasted your precious time Rick - now go back to your grouchyoldsailor.com forums. (g)
Old 03-20-2008

l0keman is on a distinguished road
I would never tell her that the boat has an unofficial double meaning. It's not a publicity stunt or attention grabber. I just always liked the name growing up. I get along very well with my ex-wife, prolly a little too well at times. I am really considering the "Filthy Oar" instead. It's basically the same but a little more conservative.
Old 03-20-2008
Señor Member

We purchased a DVD a few years ago, without ever reviewing the movie - just by reading the jacket, thought it might be a fun movie to have and it was priced at $8 in the bargain bin.

The Filthy Whore was the name of the boat in "Cabin Boy" - released I think in the early 90's. If this is the inspirational movie you saw "as a kid" - my guess is you're 20-something today?
Old 03-20-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
The Filthy Whore was the name of the boat in "Cabin Boy" -
I tried to like that movie. I wanted to like that movie.
Bought it at the bargin bin as well, but it is a bad movie.

To each his own, you go right ahead and name your boat what ever you want.

"Breaking Wind" is still my least favorite.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-20-2008
Señor Member

TJ,
Restrained myself from being a movie critic in my last post - but I am in full agreement . . . redefines the phase - bad movie.
Old 03-20-2008
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Choices Choices Choices ......... I note that your post is #14. It took you 13 posts to figure that out? You waste your own time by reading to the second page; then waste more time to post a reply about wasting time?

Do what I do with most of the political threads: I DON'T READ THEM! It's not like the title of this thread is a bait & switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBowman View Post
This is one reason why I frequent sailnet less and less due to discussions like this one. What a waste of time.
By the way, on the original post. I agree with everyone else:

A) It's your boat, name it what you will.
B) It's your boat, take whatever pot-shots at the sea gods you feel comfortable with.

If the boat treats you bad enough that it deserves that name, maybe you and she are a bad match!
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok