Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBowman View Post
This is one reason why I frequent sailnet less and less due to discussions like this one. What a waste of time.
Forced ya to read every word, did we?

Don't let the door slam you in the ass on your way out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
One thought: If your kids are young, can you explain the name to them, and how do you feel about them using it?

Rick- Nothing personal, but there is still time to catch them re-inventing the wheel over on Cruising Anarchy.
Old 03-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most sailors are proud of their boats... if you're not...maybe you need a different boat. I wouldn't sail on a boat I would call what you're planning to name your boat.

But, it is your boat, and your choice to live with whatever you call it.

IMHO, it is a bit petty to call it "Filthy Whore" and then say it is named for your ex-wife. At some point, you saw enough in her to marry her, you might want to respect that part of whatever relationship you had.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-20-2008

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
Man, I feel bad posting this. I think one of the things my grandfather made me promise as he lay on his death bed..."Son" ( he called me that even though technically I was not his son) "Son, whatever you do, promise me you won't waste any of Rick Bowman's time...."

So, since I am posting this AFTER Rick Bowman decided not to waste any more time on this thread or forum, at least he won't read this and know how I let my dear old grandpap down...

I had a little 16 ft. daysailor back during my first marriage, and I wanted to name it "Bloguehob". But my first ex-wife had a literate neighbor lady friend across the street who pointed out one pronunciation of that...so I hadda change it.

So I went with "Phuquehoff" and left that parked in the driveway with the transom facing the old busybody's front window.

Old 03-20-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Most sailors are proud of their boats... if you're not...maybe you need a different boat. I wouldn't sail on a boat I would call what you're planning to name your boat.

But, it is your boat, and your choice to live with whatever you call it.

IMHO, it is a bit petty to call it "Filthy Whore" and then say it is named for your ex-wife. At some point, you saw enough in her to marry her, you might want to respect that part of whatever relationship you had.
Seriously? I happen to think "Filthy Whore" is a great name. Not every boat needs to be named something that wouldn't offend your grandmother and not every sailor needs to wear a blue blazer and topsiders. And who are you to preach to this guy about whether or not he should respect his ex-wife? Jeezus, who made you the arbiter of relationships and proper boat names?
Old 03-20-2008

l0keman is on a distinguished road
T34C good point. I never thought about my kids learning the boats name. I'm 28. I got the name from Cabin boy. I liked the movie. But I love horrible movies... like the B-movies on scifi and such... those are great. Yeah, I've seriously considered the boat is not for me. I love the design. I just hate the boat. We got this love-hate thing going on... I hate the boat b/c it loves to do silly things.... like sink and loose hatches on calm days, and leaks in every spot immaginable. But in reality... I really enjoy working on it and although I get flustered at it, I could not see myself doing something else.

This was a spur of the minute kinda hobby. When I was married, my wife wanted to buy a house. I am AD USAF and am not ready to buy a house with my mobile lifestyle, plus marital issues. So instead I said "remember how we always wanted to buy a boat?" well I came home from work one afternoon and she had won one on Ebay for a few bucks. I remember the day I got it... no less than 5 minutes after I hooked it to my truck I got a speeding ticket. The first time I dropped it in the water, it sank. The next time the keel cable broke, the next time the mast fell while raising it, etc... but still, I got the fever and am dying to go sailing this weekend. I think I have finished all major repairs and everything else is just cosmetics.
Old 03-20-2008

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
How about "Spitzer's Folly"?
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 03-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
fstbttms-

I'm not saying that he should respect his ex-wife. I'm saying that he should respect whatever relationship he once had with her that was good enough to ask her to marry him. There's a big difference between the two. It's also pretty clearly my opinion...and I even said so... so STFU DA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Seriously? I happen to think "Filthy Whore" is a great name. Not every boat needs to be named something that wouldn't offend your grandmother and not every sailor needs to wear a blue blazer and topsiders. And who are you to preach to this guy about whether or not he should respect his ex-wife? Jeezus, who made you the arbiter of relationships and proper boat names?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-20-2008

l0keman is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog, I totally understand what you mean about the exwife. I do respect that part of her. I still love her in fact and it's the kinda relationship we have. We can call eachother names and tease and always know how we really feel. I really am naming the boat after the movie. When we were married she had another guy, but now that we are divorced, I find myself the other guy. We are not right for eachother, though.

I would get a new boat, but since I make an enlisted man's wage and am a single dad with no childsupport coming in.... it's not an option right now. So I will endure this boat as long as I can. I would love to one day own a boat that was perfect and I loved... I'm just not that lucky right now. I do not believe in sea gods, only the first commandment and the God who made it.(in response to previous post about taking pot shots to the sea gods)

I definatley respect your opinions, and everyone else's for that matter. I was not trying to start flames or lure anyone into an argument. I just could not find the answer to my question for the life of me.

Last edited by l0keman; 03-20-2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-20-2008
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
fstbttms-. . . so STFU DA...
You go dawg -