SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is anyone familiar with the Capitol Yachts Newport 28 design?

9K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  jaschrumpf 
#1 ·
I bought a vintage 1975 version, and from looking at the stern it's obvious that there must have been a piece that fit in there to close the transom:

And yes, I know she's dirty. I'll clean her up, don't worry.

The question is, does anyone have any idea what went into that open transom? The PO had no idea.

I can cut a piece of something to fit, but I'd love to know what the original idea was.

You can't tell from the photo, but the bottom of the opening is about 8" above the cockpit floor. There are two drains going out the transom as well.

Thanks!

See less See more
#29 ·
J

I'd go with your idea of a drop board there, and maybe a folding ladder somehow.

This boat was offered with an outboard power option, and IIRC that was where the motor mount would be.

#30 ·
You could just leave it open and put a couple of lifelines across it. If your cockpit got swamped you would drain much more rapidly with that "open transom". I don't think the board installed would be a structural requirement since your backstay is split and way out at the corners of the hull/transom. If you wanted to enclose the transom I think a big piece of starboard with a drain slot in the bottom would work fine.

I have seen at least one other N28 with this transom cutout. I think it was a factory option for easy climb in access (prior to sugar-scoop transoms).

#31 ·
cncphotoalbum.com has an original brochure for the Newport 28 II (it was C&C designed) but I couldn't tell from the drawings whether the cut-out was a factory option. My wife's cousin's Newport 28 does not have one. (He has been very happy with the boat and has gotten many years of use out of her, by the way.)

#32 ·
I like Keelhaulin's idea of lifeline(s) across the opening with a fold down boarding ladder. That's a decent customization.

I don't think it was a factory option, as the manufacturer was not in the business of customizing hulls. These boats were factory built like Chevy's and Fords - to a price point. Maybe toward the very end, Capital might of starting considering doing something like this (to save the business), but that woud have been in the '90s.

My first boat was an '84 Newport 28 MkII. Still miss that boat... Jaschrumpf, have you joined the Newport email list here on Sailnet? It's a great resource for any Capital Yachts boat owners.

The N28 is a great little boat. Lots of fun to sail, and has more room with the bulkhead mounted table than other 28-footers. The C&C designed hull will provide plenty of good performance, too.

#33 ·
I won't be needing a fold-down boarding ladder. Swimming voluntarily in the Chesapeake Bay isn't something I'm planning on doing. If I had her in a nice lake, or down in some nice ocean-influenced water, maybe. The Bay looks too much like the Ohio River I grew up next to -- yuck.

The drop-in board is looking like my best option.

#34 ·
What year is it? In terms of customizations from Capital; it was done here and there. There is a 41' custom I know of (interior is totally different; opening portlights, etc); and another 41' that has a swim step transom on the owner's website.

There was an inquiry about the cutout on the transom for a red hulled N28 about a year or so ago on the email forum. At the time I thought it was non-original but now it's hard to say because it looked exactly the same as this boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.