SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Is anyone familiar with the Capitol Yachts Newport 28 design? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/41533-anyone-familiar-capitol-yachts-newport-28-design.html)

jaschrumpf 03-21-2008 08:55 PM

Is anyone familiar with the Capitol Yachts Newport 28 design?

I bought a vintage 1975 version, and from looking at the stern it's obvious that there must have been a piece that fit in there to close the transom:

http://photos.hilltopper.net/stern_view_sm.jpg

And yes, I know she's dirty. I'll clean her up, don't worry.

The question is, does anyone have any idea what went into that open transom? The PO had no idea.

I can cut a piece of something to fit, but I'd love to know what the original idea was.

You can't tell from the photo, but the bottom of the opening is about 8" above the cockpit floor. There are two drains going out the transom as well.

Thanks!

sailingdog 03-21-2008 09:09 PM

It was probably a solid piece that acted as the transom. It was probably hinged and then bolted on the other side. It was designed to act as a "gate", so you could get in and out of the back of the boat easily... like if you were docked stern to the slip.

jaschrumpf 03-21-2008 09:16 PM

Hmmm, I guess you can't really see what's there. There's a "lip" around the outside of the transom that would hold a board or whatever in place; it looks like the piece would slip in from the top, and maybe have a bracket or something that the nuts on the inside would screw down over to hold it in place. You could leave the nuts loose so that you could easily pull the piece up and out of the way to open the transom.

I agree that it's something meant to make it easy to open the transom for easy ingress into the boat. I'd just love to know what it looked like in the original.

sailingdog 03-21-2008 09:21 PM

Jas-

If the board drops down from the top and you have several "hasps", and they were positioned to flip over the bolts, then you could use wing nuts to hold the board in place.

blt2ski 03-21-2008 10:14 PM

If you have an outboard version, that is where that is put on some boat models from that era. If you have an inboard...........I just typed something for nothing! Altho some folks put the outboard on a seperate bracket off the stern also.

Marty

capttb 03-21-2008 10:20 PM

On some newer boats, (mine included) it's just a piece of Starboard like material with a batten on the top edge to give you something to grab and pull it out to make it a "walk-thru". Usually open for several inches on the bottom for cockpit drainage.
Interesting looking traveler also.

jaschrumpf 03-22-2008 12:02 AM

I hate that traveler. Oh, it's in a great location, above the hatchway, but there's no leverage on it. All you can do is let it down; there's no way you can pull it up against the wind with a 1:1 pull and not even a fairlead on it.

After I get the big stuff out of the way I'll be all over that.

BarryL 03-22-2008 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

The transom should be fiberglass across. There should not be any opening.
I will try and attach a pic of the transom of my old Newport 28 as well as the factory brochure.

Lastly, you should visit this site for some great info.

Newport, Neptune, Gulf sailboats built by Capital Yachts

Regarding the traveler, you have lots of options. Mine had a nice Harken unit
that was very easy to adjust.

T34C 03-22-2008 08:45 PM

I had a Newport 30 with a beefier traveler than yours, if you can believe it. I think they were Navy surplus from an aircraft carrier! Had the same problem of no purchase. It's pretty easy to add blocks to the outsides of the traveler.

uspirate 03-22-2008 09:53 PM

just a guess but i think its the entry way to the optional jacuzzi, swim up bar!