Is anyone familiar with the Capitol Yachts Newport 28 design? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Is anyone familiar with the Capitol Yachts Newport 28 design?

I bought a vintage 1975 version, and from looking at the stern it's obvious that there must have been a piece that fit in there to close the transom:

And yes, I know she's dirty. I'll clean her up, don't worry.

The question is, does anyone have any idea what went into that open transom? The PO had no idea.

I can cut a piece of something to fit, but I'd love to know what the original idea was.

You can't tell from the photo, but the bottom of the opening is about 8" above the cockpit floor. There are two drains going out the transom as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It was probably a solid piece that acted as the transom. It was probably hinged and then bolted on the other side. It was designed to act as a "gate", so you could get in and out of the back of the boat easily... like if you were docked stern to the slip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-21-2008
1975 Newport 28

Hmmm, I guess you can't really see what's there. There's a "lip" around the outside of the transom that would hold a board or whatever in place; it looks like the piece would slip in from the top, and maybe have a bracket or something that the nuts on the inside would screw down over to hold it in place. You could leave the nuts loose so that you could easily pull the piece up and out of the way to open the transom.

I agree that it's something meant to make it easy to open the transom for easy ingress into the boat. I'd just love to know what it looked like in the original.
Old 03-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jas-

If the board drops down from the top and you have several "hasps", and they were positioned to flip over the bolts, then you could use wing nuts to hold the board in place.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-21-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
If you have an outboard version, that is where that is put on some boat models from that era. If you have an inboard...........I just typed something for nothing! Altho some folks put the outboard on a seperate bracket off the stern also.

Marty
Old 03-21-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
On some newer boats, (mine included) it's just a piece of Starboard like material with a batten on the top edge to give you something to grab and pull it out to make it a "walk-thru". Usually open for several inches on the bottom for cockpit drainage.
Interesting looking traveler also.
Old 03-22-2008
1975 Newport 28

I hate that traveler. Oh, it's in a great location, above the hatchway, but there's no leverage on it. All you can do is let it down; there's no way you can pull it up against the wind with a 1:1 pull and not even a fairlead on it.

After I get the big stuff out of the way I'll be all over that.
Old 03-22-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

The transom should be fiberglass across. There should not be any opening.
I will try and attach a pic of the transom of my old Newport 28 as well as the factory brochure.

Lastly, you should visit this site for some great info.

Newport, Neptune, Gulf sailboats built by Capital Yachts

Regarding the traveler, you have lots of options. Mine had a nice Harken unit
that was very easy to adjust.
Attached Thumbnails
Is anyone familiar with the Capitol Yachts Newport 28 design?-npontrailer1small.jpg  

Last edited by BarryL; 03-22-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I had a Newport 30 with a beefier traveler than yours, if you can believe it. I think they were Navy surplus from an aircraft carrier! Had the same problem of no purchase. It's pretty easy to add blocks to the outsides of the traveler.
Old 03-22-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
just a guess but i think its the entry way to the optional jacuzzi, swim up bar!

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.