Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008

RhodesSwiftsure is on a distinguished road
Wink Zen and the art of sailing?

I recently purchased a new-to-me 33 foot fiberglass keel boat. It's almost 50 years old, with its original spars (yes, one of those great wooden booms, which is attached to one of those amazingly still true spruce masts). It does not leak. It has a full keel. It has 50 gallon fresh water tanks. It's one of those amazing Phil Rhodes designs (a Rhodes Swiftsure) where the waterline increases so radically as the hull inclines that you only really want to sail it at 30 degrees. And then it goes like stink. It's got berths for six, enormous lockers, and a truly magnificent cockpit layout.

So, without any pretensions of serious circumnavigating use, I have a wonderful sailing platform for me and my family.

And here's the kicker; it cost $10,000.

I'm in the middle of dumping maybe another $10,000 into it (and even that is to put in electronics beyond what I'll reasonably need).

That's it, all in, no loan, no sacrifice. Am I doing something wrong?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
The only thing wrong is questioning a good deal when you know you have one! Best wishes with the new babe!

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
The only thing wrong is questioning a good deal when you know you have one! Best wishes with the new babe!

Good deal or not, the main question I was trying to get at was the common misconception that it takes a lot of money to buy a great boat. It does not (really!).

Then again, if you have ungodly sums of money, you probably would not want to buy my boat. It's very seaworthy, but the head stinks. I'm in the middle of sniffing and throwing out tubes. It may take a week or more to sort that out.
Old 03-22-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
That is usually the case Make it your own you bought a "base" to work from... doesn't matter what other's think - just what you do to make it your own.....

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
That is usually the case Make it your own you bought a "base" to work from... doesn't matter what other's think - just what you do to make it your own.....
Yup, agreed. Just trying to suggest to other owners/buyers that there are fundamentally sound boats from the early 1960's that can still shake up a decision.
Old 03-22-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Have a good rigger survey the standing rigging, mast and boom. Any big issues with it come up then it would be a good time to re-spar with aluminum. Depending on your location you might find a good used mast/boom to save the expense of new. Otherwise; nice boat!
Old 03-22-2008

Harvester is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodesSwiftsure View Post
IAm I doing something wrong?
Yes you are! Big time!
1. You are getting away from the herd.
2. You bought a boat to enjoy life better, and not to show off the money you spent.
3. You didn't post any pictures.

All and any, unforgetable.

BTW, my recommendation: take it as easy with the electronics as you did with the boat herself: the only thing you do NEED is a good autopilot, VHF, and maybe a handheld gps. It would be a pitty playing sailing videogames in the cockpit instead of sailing this wonder the way it deserves.
Old 03-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... I hope you live to varnish... Wooden spars require a lot of love. Enjoy the new-to-you boat. Post photos when you can, she sounds like a beauty.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-22-2008

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
Hey Yeah! I got a problem with you and what you're doing!
#1. You are fixing the boat yourself. How can you look at the guys at the yacht club and admit your hands touched boat parts? (other than the lines and the wheel)
#2. You will never get to use the "Deer-in-the-headlights" look that so many weekend boaters have perfected. Even with a beer can in your hand, you will not be believable.
#3. If something does break, you'll probably have a clue how to fix it and even have a back-up plan. What's bad about that? YOU'LL HAVE NO-ONE TO BLAME!
All in all, you clearly are going down the wrong path. Sounds like you won't be able to whine about all the money you wasted either. You clearly do not fit in here...

Seriously, it sounds classy and I envy you boat finding skills. Good sailing!
Old 03-22-2008
Armchair Horn Sailor

Alden68 is on a distinguished road
You mentioned the words "no sacrifice"

he-he-he

My boat just turned 40. There will plenty of sacrifice.....

Love the boat....turned on by the classic looks as well. Just be ready to love her/work on her.. It really is special to cruise around in a boat from a simpler era.

Oh and btw, a good skin balm helps ease the pain of ripping out your hair trying to find antique parts