Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008

awindj is on a distinguished road
Buy a boat - tour the country

I live in Iowa and have tried to come up with an idea to own a boat.

Maybe this is it.

We are now considering finding a boat that we like and buying it. Maybe it would be near Annapolis. We would then live on the boat and alternate living on the boat for several weeks and enjoying the surrounding area and going back to Iowa to keep our home and friends intact.

After a summer of this we would decide (or not) to move it somewhere closer to home. Tour this area and decide where to go next. This would allow several stops through the Great Lakes.

This avoids us having to move to get some use of the boat. It also allows us to see different areas of the country depending on where we buy it. Maybe we find a spot where we don't want to leave.

We had talked about moving to Bellingham or Annapolis and getting an apartment for the summer. I think the plan above would be an easier transition This would also justify or at least encourage us to get a nicer boat that we could live aboard part time.

I've seen a couple of Sabre 362's that might fit the bill. Part of my logic is that a Sabre of the 90's vintage has lost its value as much as it ever will assuming that we maintain it we won't lose any significant value if we want out.

Tell me, does this make any sense? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Al
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Why not have a boat down south to visit during the winter...unless you like frozen tundra? Store it on land during the summer when you spend time in Iowa.
Old 03-23-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Grew up in Cedar Rapids. Where do you call home?

What is your past sailing/boating experience? Have you lived on a boat before? If you have limited sailing or live aboard experience perhaps you might consider a longish charter and see if that is something that you want to do. If you have a bunch of experience then you probably already know what you want to do.

I cannot disagree with your logic on the depreciation of older boats and the thought that you may not take a large loss on resale, assuming you can sell it. My feeling is that the original purchase price on an older vessel is a very small part in the cost of ownership when considering: maintenance, refitting, insurance and storage. A spread sheet showing the cost per hour of actual usage would be interesting and possibly very depressing. There are certain benefits that cannot be given a $ value for sure. Which leads me back to the idea of a multi-week charter if possible. Taking that one step further would be to charter in different areas, Mexico Caribbean, Med etc... Smaller scale might be a trailer sailor. Could take it anywhere you want to go. Some models seem to be livable for periods of time. If you decide on a larger vessel at another location you could still have a boat in Iowa for some summer sailing.
Old 03-23-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Cost of my boat so far this year

Storage/power 185.00 x3 = 555.00
Repair projects / Maintenance = 395.00

I will spend more of course for a wet slip (300.00 ) and more on pet projects I want to do that dont need doing ( Electric windless / Auto pilot ) but my point is it dosent have to cost a fortune to own a boat or maintain one..Just make sure you by one in great shape ...this solves many heartaches and major bucks down the road..and do all the work you can yourself... We spend more money every year eating out then my boat costs me to keep...It can easily boil down to priorities if need be...The restaurant food will go befor my boat goes..Only you know what you are willing to sacrifice..

Sounds like a great plan...you must have a very flexible job...lucky you..

Good Luck

PS: A 36' boat is expensive to truck to different locals...if thats your plans I would by a trailer boat..

Last edited by Stillraining; 03-23-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2008

Thanks for the feedback

I really appreciate the feedback.

A response to at least some of them.

Hadn't really thought about a spot down south. May have to give that more thought.

Ames Iowa is home port. Longer charters is an excellent recommendation. We have chartered in the Apostle Islands and the BVI this winter. I do have some reservations about how we would do in the live aboard mode. Will certainly need to get this resolved before we do something rash. I would expect that we will do considerable chartering before we buy. May even stay with chartering. It does have a lot of flexibility.

I had a 22" Chrysler for 20 years and I don't think I want to go back to a trailer sailor like that.

I had a pretty good job for 30 years and am now retired. It seems that we are in an situation that I never really expected. That being that within reason, we can afford to do what we want. Deciding what we want is the difficult part.

Hadn't planned to truck the boat to different locations. Thought of using either canals or St. Lawrence and the Great Lakes to move the boat.

Thanks again for your thoughts. Will give a follow up post when (or if) the plan becomes clear.
Old 03-25-2008

ssmith8523 is on a distinguished road
Have you thought of time-sharing a boat?

I'm not sure that is the correct name; maybe it is fractional ownership. Anyway, several companies have them now. You get the use of a new medium-sized boat for quite a few weeks/months per year, you have a choice of several regions such as the Chesapeake, Caribbean, etc, the company does the maintenance, and it probably costs less in total than buying a boat, putting money and time into maintaining it, and then time and uncertainty to sell it.

Just a thought...
Old 03-25-2008

We considered a Sailtime boat

We have considered joining Sailtime. I think if we lived anywhere close, we would do it.

The problem is that we live 7 hours from where the boat would be. Too far to go for an afternoon sail.

We may consider it again if we move.
Old 03-25-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Maybe with time and money now is the time to move where the action is...sailing action you want that is?....

Hay 2G is that lot next door to you for sail? I mean Sale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by awindj View Post
We have considered joining Sailtime. I think if we lived anywhere close, we would do it.

The problem is that we live 7 hours from where the boat would be. Too far to go for an afternoon sail.

We may consider it again if we move.

Last edited by Stillraining; 03-25-2008 at 08:43 PM.