SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Right boat for my needs, east coast.

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I live in NJ and know nothing about sailing. This is where I am starting my search. I am 40 yr's old with a wife and four children. I am looking for a getaway boat!

I would like a boat I can grow with, I don't want to jump to a larger boat 6 yrs from now when I learn more. I want a boat I can use more as I learn.

I need a boat I can use in the Delaware River and out into the Chesapeak Bay. I would like to get up the coast to some bays off NJ and possibly to NY in a few years.

Years after, God willing, I would like to possibly cruise down to Florida, Bahamas, keys and gulf.

If I live to retirement possilbly the Caribians and South America.

Is it possible to find a boat that can grow with my wife and I that can do all this. Mostly us two. mybe a day trip with the kids.

Looking to stay around 28-32 ft and affordable, used is ok. I know, It's a dream.

Thanks
Shane

See less See more
#2 ·
When you say you know nothing about sailing, is that because you've never been on a sailboat, or that you don't know how to sail? Or, both?

#3 ·
I have spent my whole life around motor boats. I have owned 18' outboards for fishing and crabbing. I worked at Jersey Yachts installing twin diesels. Spent nights on deep sea fishing boats, and bay liners.

But I have always admired the sails from afar. I have only had the opportunity to be on one sailboat and loved it (light wind, back bay) not real world, but fun anyway.

I love it on the water, it's my getaway. But as I get older I find myself longing for the sail rather than the motor. Sailing seems more like a craft, an art, than just going out boating.

#4 ·
Ok, the first thing that comes to mind, is that it's hard to buy a boat, when you don't really know what you want. That's as in, what you want on the boat, what you need on the boat, and what you don't need on the boat. While I can understand your desire to buy a boat you'll grow into, I think you would be better off getting something a bit smaller first, so you'll have a better idea of what to look for in a "keeper". This would also give you the chance to know if this is really what you want to do.

A decent 25-26 footer can be had for under $10k, while having room enough for 2 adults and 4 children (providing they aren't too large). After 2 or 3 seasons, and while you're saving up, then you could start looking for a larger boat. This way, you'll know it's what you want to do, and have a much better idea of what to look for, without having made a major investment.

I'm not an expert, but to my thinking, that would be your best course of action. Best wishes on living your dream.

#5 ·
What should I look for in a good starter boat. One that can handle the Delaware & Chesapeake Bays and maybe some off NJ shoreline (shore in sight). I would like to get a little offshore experience when I get the right training.

If I feel adventurous and after a lot of training (& possibly with someone who has sailed a lot) could a smaller boat travel down the Delaware (Philadelphia area) out the Delaware Bay and up the coast line to NY City around the city and back?

Could a 1973 27' Catalina Dinette Model do this? (yes that is what started me thinking about it) A friend has one he will sell me for $4000. This is just an option, but I want the right boast!

Thanks
Shane

#6 ·
Yes, that boat could ..... if it is sound, and you have enough experience.

There are many articles and threads on buying a boat, that would be very helpful for the first time buyer. Use the search function at the top of the page to locate them. Right now, I think doing some research is the best thing to do.

#7 ·
Please be aware that sailing in the Delaware bay and in the Chesapeake bay are to far, far, different things. Shipping traffic is very heavy on the Delaware bay along with the short chop of the waves and the current often is very strong.

#9 ·
I can use Delaware to the C&D Canal then jump over. Motor when unsure.
Last March I moved a boat with my daughter. We came around Cape May and turned up to the Delaware Bay. There was a period for almost 2 hours with the sails out and motor running, I don't think we gained 100 yards due to the current. We did see lots of ships ........

#10 ·
Can a Catalina 27 handle both? I think the short answer is yes, but as others have said, how well depends on your skill level. The Catalina 27 was designed and built as an entry-level coastal cruiser. Assuming you have the necessary skills, it will deliver you safely. It is a great boat to start with. However, I will tell you that it will be cramped in that cockpit with six people, even if four of them are small. It really is about the smallest affordable boat there is that has standing headroom and an inboard engine. If you and your family decide that cruising is for you, you will be trading up in much less than six years. One of the best things about older Catalina's is that they hold their value well. If you maintain the boat, you should be able to sell it for what you paid for it. Sail on as many boats as possible, find out what features are important to you and your family, and choose your next boat with those and your actual (not "maybe someday") cruising needs in mind.

#11 ·
Dream Boat

A very nice boat in the 28-32 foot range is the J30. They are spacious, fast, safe (two were in the infamous Fastnet storm and both survived nicely) and provide a nice compromise of comfort and performance. They also are quite pleasant to sail under main alone. If rigged with a dutchman or other system, it would be easy to hoist and lower the main solo. Otherwise, it is better to have two people to hoist and lower sails when you have a boat of this size. Even the Catalina 27 has a large sail plan for one person, unless you have a dutchman or something similar. A nice J30 can be found for $20-25K, which is a lot more than a Catalina 27. However, I would not want to go offshore in the Catalina. In any event, a good survey is always a wise choice.

Your long term plan would also be enhanced if both you and your wife enrolled in some of the courses offered by the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Good luck to you and your family!

#12 ·
For a beginner boat, the C27 would be the better choice tween a J30 and C27, or if you need a bit bigger, a C30! Not to say J's are not good boats, but they are on the racier side of things. Not sure they would be good to learn on. Not that I personally would want a Cat vs a J, the J being my prefered of the two. But for myself, spouse and my 4 kids learning when smaller, the Cat would be better.

Marty

#14 ·
Been there...

Shane,

FWIW, I was exactly in your position about a year and a half ago. We went with a 20 year old Catalina 30 Tall Rig Wing Keel. The perfect C. Bay boat. 7,000 of them out there.

Very stable, very safe, very roomy, fast enough (I would make sure I'd get a tall rig for this area). Kind of like a minivan for the water. It should have no problem handling what you've described once you're ready. It is NOT a blue water boat (i.e. don't try taking it across the Atlantic), but coastal is no problem. Ignore the bluewater bluenosers or racers who want to trash Catalina...it isn't relevant for the kind of Bay cruising I want to do.

We went with a 20 year old boat. Took a lot of looking, but it's not so old that you won't find boats that are quite sailable without a lot of work. The last thing I wanted was to spend more time working it at the dock than sailing it. It'll set you back high 20's probably.

We had to shuttle it from Annapolis down to Va. We hired a sailing instructor to go with us overnight. It worked out well -- got the boat there and learned a lot along the way.

The catalina30 yahoo group is very active. Sign up for it if you're thinking of going that way. Read the books by Nigel Calder (Cruiser's Handbook and the Electrical and Mechanical Systems Handbook) just to be sure you know what you're getting yourself into. I'd also recommend "The Complete Sailor" by Seidman -- gets into both the philosophical and technical aspects of sailing.

Also check out the owner reviews on the boat info section of sailboatowners . com.

Good luck!

Pops

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.