Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
chuckles- I'm afraid you may have confused Robert and myself. He was "Tartan34C" as opposed to my "T34C". Beyond his excellent taste in boats, I'm afraid the similarities end there.I am happy to sail in his shadow and aspire to become a fraction of the mariner Robert was.
Old 05-31-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Being new to sailing I was struck by how patient Mr. Gainer was with new people like myself. I found him to be inspirational in that he seemed to be a very humble man, not at all boastful, and yet he had done all of these amazing things. His posts were informative, always well thought out, like he had been there and done that a thousand times before and was just giving you the short version of what had taken him a lifetime to master. His posts very often ended threads, there would be a lot of bickering back and forth and then WHAM, Mr. Gainer's post would quietly come in and settle the matter and you could sense that everyone was kind of nodding their head in agreement with whatever his conclusions were. One thing I never did see was anyone really argue with him. It reminds me of what they used to say about the basketball player Michael Jordon - the players on television were talking about how they had an "in game" where they all gave each other a hard time. They'd make a basket and kind of point at the other player and say "on you!" and laugh, and give each other a hard time, etc, talk trash on each other and generally try to one up each other. And then the reporter asked what Michael Jordon did when he dunked on somebody, or someone made a shot on him, and the other players all kind of looked at each other and said rather seriously ... well, nobody really talks trash on Michael Jordon, and they all nodded in agreement. As a newcomer that was my impression of Mr. Gainer, that he was a sailor's sailor, and that his opinion was much respected by people who had been around a while and knew who was who. I would also like to say that Mr. Gainer helped me in a number of posts to understand that the consensus wasn't always right. He encouraged me to take a chance and to try to get out on the water on a boat when there were some other people around preaching caution, and I will remember that about him. I never got to meet him. He was obviously a man of excellence who achieved amazing things through his own individual merit, and one of those people who had seen some higher order in things and was able to bring a natural understanding to everything he touched, a true artist. Condolences to his family for their loss. Fair winds.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 05-31-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook