Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
My wife was a non boater when we moved to the coast and bought our first sailboat, a 24ft shark. We lived in an area that had regular spring and summer daily inflow winds to 20K or more, so the learning curve was a bit steep, esp for her. But, with patience and a willingness to turn around and try another day on occasion, she became comfortable with sailing, esp upwind. Today she still prefers sailing a tough beat in a breeze to sailing downwind in one.

What really won her over, though, was the first time we did a week long cruise on our Shark. Later that year she became pregnant with our son, and one comment was - can't cruise with a baby on THAT boat- so by spring we'd moved up to 28 feet.

Things progressed from there and for 15 years or so we owned 2 boats together with another family, and primarily raced one and cruised the other. Now we had built in crew (we usually sailed together, all of us, we had a 40 footer that was a great sailer but a handful for two) and everybody got a lot of miles under their belts.

Today we've downsized and gone "solo" again, and at 35 feet this boat continues to feel "smaller and manageable". She is keen to sail anytime, more or less keen to spend as necessary to keep things in good shape, and we spend at least 5-6 weeks on board every summer as well as biannual trips to the Caribbean in winter.

This summer, though, will be a test.... Our first grandchild arrived over the winter and we may not be able to drag ourselves away for that long...... Fortunately her parents (our son and his wife who met on a raceboat) own a boat too, so some "family" cruising could be in the cards. Our grandaughter took her first sail at age 7 days!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I own my first sailboat.

We own our second, as we mortgaged a paid-off house to buy it. I am fortunate in that my wife grew up in a sailing family...her father briefly owed a chandlery and designed and built a few boats in the '80s...and so while she doesn't know the nautical terms for everything, she is the first one to go to the foredeck and wrestle a No.1 genoa into its bag, because she is pretty fearless.

I mention the second boat because we are planning a few years of ocean cruising with our son, which as an activity is not necessarily any more dangerous than driving on a highway, is not something most mothers would endorse.

I am proud to call her my "co-captain". She enjoys helming more than me, as well!

Old 03-29-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Val you lazy Bastardo sujo....go store the fenders....

Don't you have a BIG LARGE LOCKER to store them when you sail??? ehehehee
Old 03-29-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Smile

Crap, how many fenders do you think he has? A few more and it will look like a tug boat.
Old 03-29-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
He makes a pretty good fender too...I say that by expereince!!! ehehehehehe
Old 03-29-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
That's a motley assortment of fenders - why is it none of them match?
Old 03-29-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
My wife had never been on a boat before she got on the little V-21. The first sail was in light air and she had the PFD on and was scared to death. The second sail, she used it for a cushion. The third sail and it was in the cabin. After a few more, we went up the a big lake in 10-15 (lotsa breeze for a V-21) and I had her doing MOB drills single handed while I sat and watched while giving gentle instructions. She absolutely loved it and spent half the day helming and trimming while I relaxed, coached and fixed lunch. The wind came up to 15-20 and she went up in the V-berth, popped the hatch and did her own Titanic thing as I threw spray all over her blasting to windward.

Now we have the big boat and she loves it. She doesn't mind when I bury the rail and is quick to go forward to wrestle an errant sail if needed. The only pic I have of her on the boat is one of her trimming the chute on the first time we flew it. She's kinda camera shy.

Now she's wanting to sail out the San Juan de Fuca and turn South for Mexico and beyond in a couple of years. Not bad for a gal who'd never even been on a boat before two years ago.
Old 03-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Val you lazy Bastardo sujo....go store the fenders....

Don't you have a BIG LARGE LOCKER to store them when you sail??? ehehehee
No, this isn't a Catalina, this is the old race boat. Sail bags in the V-berth, beer in the ice box, and the cockpit locker is strictly for blocks, sheets and line.

Also, this is the Great Lakes. Unseamanlike is when you let them hang down the topsides when sailing.
Old 03-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
Crap, how many fenders do you think he has? A few more and it will look like a tug boat.
The guy docked next to me at the time had a 19,000 lb. 1964 ChrisCraft sailboat made of 1-inch thick fibreglass, compared to my boat, which is seven inches longer and 10,000 lbs. lighter.

Guess which side of my boat he docked?
Old 03-29-2008

GreenEgg is on a distinguished road
Your links don't work.