Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008

buckmanriver is on a distinguished road
Hobie Cat 16 Good For Island Hoping in baja?

This a definitely a noob to sailing question.

But i would like to so some sailing in the sea of Cortez's. After looking at google earth the idea of sailing from island to island looks amazing.
I would like to start in Mulege thats in Baja in December and work may way from Isla San Marcos to Isla Toruga to Isla San Pedro Nolasco and finaly to Guaymas on the west cost of the sea of cortez.

Is is possible for a boat as small as a Hobie Cat 16 to make a trip like this? Or is a bigger boat needed. Keep in mind that i am 20 years old (young and crazy) and an adventure like this sounds amazing.

I have also herd of people sea kayaking to some of these islands if a sea kayak can do it why cant a Hobie cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2008

cjmcfall is on a distinguished road
If properly prepared for any "adventure" can be done safely.

The Polar Passage Expedition

This is a link to a story of a Hobie 18 sailing the northwest passage. Worth a read.
Old 03-31-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I think Darwin has already done some work nearby in the Galapos islands, you might want to check on the theories he came up with and the awards named after him. No judgement intended.

Short answer, yes - you could do it.
Wrong question tho. Question is should you do it.

Those sea kayaks are much better built for the load (supplies) and conditions. Hobies are not.
If you do, have fun and stay (realitively) safe.
Old 03-31-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
The Sea of Cortez has the right conditions for a Hobie 16, and I used to sail mine there all the time. But, those islands are pretty far apart and a long way out, depending on which one you are looking at. I have been diving around several of them and its a good two hour powerboat ride, IIRC.

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-31-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
I think the issue is going to boil down to where are you going to store your food and shelter? The storage capacity of my old Hobie 16 was a pocket big enough to put a laminated registration card.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 03-31-2008

wakked1 is on a distinguished road
Hobie 18 would be more comfortable/stable with significantly better load carrying capacity. 16' was marginal on Lake Michigan but 18' was great.
Old 03-31-2008

food and shelter would not be a big problem.
food and small tarp would be stored in a 1 big dry bag.
Water would be stored a few 1 gallon Arizona tea jugs.

I have used this set up for extended kayak trips, motorcycle trips, mountaineering trips ect.

my biggest fear would be to safely maintain control of the boat in the event of a big storm.
Would bad weather be a problem during late December early January?
Old 03-31-2008
Armchair Horn Sailor

Alden68 is on a distinguished road
Discovery has a show titled "I shouldn't be Alive."

They have an episode about 2 guys who tried to sail the length of the sea of cortez in a Hobie.

You should watch it....
Old 03-31-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanriver View Post

my biggest fear would be to safely maintain control of the boat in the event of a big storm.
Would bad weather be a problem during late December early January?
I'm not familier with the area you are planning on sailing in but last summer my son about 22 years old very fit and a 10 year experienced sailor and current marine mechanic decided to sail with my friend and me from Connecticut to Long Island. We were in a 27' sailboat he took the Hobie 16'.

The wind picked up and we found out a few things about the Hobie 16.
1. With wind about 30knots+ and waves about 6 feet which was just perfect for the 27 Catalina the Hobie would not go to windward. So you may not be able to sail in the direction you want to go.
2. He is about 140lbs and just staying on the boat was a major effort. Actually sailing was practially impossible.
3. He lost a boat hook. Keeping things on deck is not as easy as it seems.
4. He ripped a jib track off the hull. The hobie is not built to handle that kind of strain.

If the wind picks up even a little your need full attention to keep the boat upright. Your weight, in the right place second by second is the trick. One misjudgement by one second and the boat is overturned and you are in the water. Righting the Hobie in calm conditions is fun. In rough conditions probably not possible.
Don't forget that even if you drop your sails you have a trampoline that will act like a sail but its only goal will be to flip you.
In short in good conditions anything that floats will get you to where you want to go.
So you have to weigh the risk. The intent of the Hobie is to have fun on the water. It has practically no ability to protect you from the elements. Dumping a Hobie or falling off it is part of it's fun. If you can swim to where you want to go the Hobie will increase the fun. If you dump or fall off and you cann't swim to land or be picked up by another boat you will be in the water untill someone finds you.
Old 03-31-2008

After watching the episode on you tube epsoide i still am still excited for this adventure.
Although i might bring a sat phone.

on a smiler note i thought the pontoon of a hobie cat was filled with foam to add boucey and support to the fiberglass fram.
That is what cause the troubles if the first place which just grew from there as the often do.

search 5of5 Shipwrecked-I shouldn't be Alive in you tube to find the video

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.