Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008

billyg is on a distinguished road
Keel Bolt Access Well Water

I have a Hunter Passage 42, 1995 model. In the forward keel bolt access well locker (just aft of the forward head, on the centerline of the boat, I have collected water continuously to a depth of approximately 3 inches (but no above the top of the keel nut). The first time I noticed this the water had a pink color indicative of the antifreeze used during winterization. The source of the water appears to be from some location aft of this access well locker approximately two feet below the level of the salon floor. There is a small hole that is lined in fiberglass. The well locker when it "refills" does not go above the depth of approximately three inches. The water is now clear in color. I have not filled any water tanks as of yet.

Do any of you have a schematic showing this well and any connections it may have to other parts of the vessel?

Any idea what the source of this water may be?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I have a Hunter Passage 42, 1995 model. In the forward keel bolt access well locker (just aft of the forward head, on the centerline of the boat, I have collected water continuously to a depth of approximately 3 inches (but no above the top of the keel nut).
The correct marine terminology for this is "a leak".
Quote:
The first time I noticed this the water had a pink color indicative of the antifreeze used during winterization. The source of the water appears to be from some location aft of this access well locker approximately two feet below the level of the salon floor.
Perhaps you could grab a flashlight and take a look back there to see where it actually is coming from ???
Quote:
There is a small hole that is lined in fiberglass. The well locker when it "refills" does not go above the depth of approximately three inches. The water is now clear in color.
This is good. It is an indication that the leak is from inside the boat rather than coming through the hull.
Quote:
I have not filled any water tanks as of yet.
This is good - you might want to hold off until you have located and fixed the source of the leak.

Quote:
Do any of you have a schematic showing this well and any connections it may have to other parts of the vessel?
No - I am fresh out of them but I think that if you asked some people here:

Hunter Owners.com for owners sailing production sailboats

you might find someone who does.
Quote:
Any idea what the source of this water may be?[/
Hmm - I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest a leak .

Good Luck !
Old 04-02-2008

billyg is on a distinguished road
Thanks Sailormann for the information. I am aware the correct terminology for this situation is a "leak" and felt no reason to even state the term. The water access hole is at the very bottom of the keel bolt access well and not accessible to see into even with a flashlight and mirror. I have checked the Hunter Manual and have contacted Hunter to no avail and not even a reply. Thus I came to this forum for other potential sources of information. You have given me information which has given me another idea to investigate however.
Thanks
Old 04-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailormann-

That was rather tame considering the boat in question is a Hunter....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-02-2008
Here .. Pull this

Quote:
Thanks Sailormann for the information. I am aware the correct terminology for this situation is a "leak" and felt no reason to even state the term. The water access hole is at the very bottom of the keel bolt access well and not accessible to see into even with a flashlight and mirror. I have checked the Hunter Manual and have contacted Hunter to no avail and not even a reply. Thus I came to this forum for other potential sources of information. You have given me information which has given me another idea to investigate however.
Thanks
You're welcome Sorry for being a bit sarcastic there but your post was so innocently couched that I couldn't help myself.

Anyway - before you do anything - have you ruled out the possibility that this is a limber hole ??

Quote:
Limber Holes- Openings through frames to permit water to drain to the lowest part of the bilge.
Old 04-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, do you use Pink Antifreeze to winterize the freshwater system or hot water heater? If so, maybe that is the source of the leak.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-02-2008
Here .. Pull this

Quote:
Sailormann-

That was rather tame considering the boat in question is a Hunter....
I have resolved not to be too caustic with newbies Sometimes I make myself so proud
Old 04-02-2008
Telstar 28

LOL... I'm not so good at that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
I have resolved not to be too caustic with newbies Sometimes I make myself so proud

Telstar 28
New England