SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Motor Shaft Drag

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ndsailor 
#1 ·
I have a Coronado 25 Sailboat. The motor
(9.9 Honda) is housed in a lazarette. Due to the confines of this lazarette the motor cannot be lifted out of the water while sailing. The boat actually sails very well and easily attains hull speed with 6 to 8 knots of wind. But with this motor shaft constantly being dragged through the water I am wondering what effect this is having on my overall speed. Could I expect better performance with this shaft out of the water? Would appreciate any and all comments. If advice is such that this arrangement is causing a negative effect and to what degree, I may consider drastic renovations to rectify the problem.
Thanks Bill

#2 ·
I previously owned a Cape Dory 25 with the motor in a motorwell, the difference in speed with the motor out of the well was about .2 tenthes of a knot in light to average wind. In stronger winds the difference wasn''t noticable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.