Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008

petegingras is on a distinguished road
Angry Boat Shows, turned into Carnivals

Okay here we go…not to assail any netters who ply their diverse trades at our ubiquitous boat shows, or those of you who sail their boats to these shows, rent a berth for the week hang a for sale sign on your vessel, and write it all off a business. Off topic already, sorry.

I too frequent these here in the North East, and I’ve had four distinct occasions in which the vender has not delivered or otherwise completed the purchase and sales. My latest is the purchase of a Bombard Dinghy from BoatersWorld™, nationally but delivery taken locally in Rhode Island. This latest failure of agreement is the delivery of the Manufactures Statement of Origin, MSO, which is required for registration on new boats, and is standard throughout the county.

Now I guess this is only a cautionary tale, but it irks me that otherwise “good industry” is run like a carnival, read derogatory connotation, during these tent shows.

My message here is each time my credit/debit card company has had to come to my aid and void the changes and strong arm the vendors into making good, yep receipt and my witnesses have had to give statements every time, but we’re boaters here and I’m depending on the bank to discipline the boating community?

Last edited by petegingras; 04-03-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... buy from better vendors...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-03-2008

Customer references @ the show, quick call the better biz bureau, or maybe I become the authority who leaflets boat shows up and down the Eastern Seaboard. Hey Google got started with a crazy idea.

My business plan will resemble a Grateful Dead following, War protest, & dispute resolution seminar. Got it, thanks for the inspiration. C-ya at the Spring in-water boat show.
Old 04-03-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Interesting dilemma. Some of these shows are billed as "national" boat shows, yet the majority of vendors - at least in the tents - are local or regional companies. Small ones at that. Owned by boaters first and business people second. While some of the biggest names in the industry have been and are currently struggling, a lot of the "independent dealers" are even worse off (not all, but it's not uncommon for the small guys feeling the pinch before the big guys do). I liken the boating industry to the home construction/remodeling industry: full of guys who wouldn't cut it very well with real jobs. I know I'm generalizing, but customer service and follow through are not the strong suits of either industry. That's why the NMMA did so much work the last few years educating and certifying members in regard to customer service and follow through. Now for those of you in the industry that do a good job fulfilling orders and taking care of customers, I'm not picking on you. It's just that petingras' experiences are unfortunately not that uncommon.

Sailingdog was right - you have to be careful who you buy from, especially at a boat show. Some vendors spend so much money getting the space and inventory there, a bad show can really hurt them. Many of them are under a lot of pressure to "make a killing" during a show...

"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 04-03-2008
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
Good thing you were able to void the credit card transaction through your bank. Hey, maybe banks aren't as bad as some would lead you to believe...
Old 04-03-2008

yep the scarey thing about the problems i've had is the postive response from the bank cards.

but then i went to cancel one last year and then promised me lower interest rates.

Quote:
While some of the biggest names in the industry have been and are currently struggling, a lot of the "independent dealers" are even worse off (not all, but it's not uncommon for the small guys feeling the pinch before the big guys do).
Moonfish,
i thought the boating industry was a little more insulated, but i concur with the assesment, money gets tight big boy toys go away.

think if i told my marina i was leaving they'd give me lower slip rates to stay? We pay $140/foot, concrete docks electricity, pool, but the service guys are good.
Old 04-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Pretty unlikely, since they probably have a few people on a waiting list...they'd just wave buh-bye and make a phone call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petegingras View Post
think if i told my marina i was leaving they'd give me lower slip rates to stay? We pay $140/foot, concrete docks electricity, pool, but the service guys are good.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-03-2008

rennisaint is on a distinguished road
As a Carny I resent the connotations of this entire thread and demand an apology!
Old 04-03-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
If there is anything about a trade show is that they only leverage the success by units sold.

As a consumer, if you have not done some research into a company or truly not aware of the brands, then instead of buying on the spot - ask for a business card and ask them if you call them next week if they will honor the price / terms etc... This allows you to get out of the rush rush scenario, or to call the company directly - and say "I spoke to X at this expo"...can you honor this...Unless you are walking away with the product at hand, it seems a more prudent way - and perhaps after some thought and research, maybe even determine that you found a better deal...as that is part of the haggling process...

Nine times out of ten those that are at the expos are junior level employees or so inexperienced with the sale aspect, that "future delivery after order" will result in such mishaps... Its just the nature of the game.

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-03-2008

Quote:
As a Carny I resent the connotations of this entire thread and demand an apology!
i'll take it under advisement, but not likley to happen...

Quote:
ask for a business card and ask them if you call them next week if they will honor the price / terms etc... This allows you to get out of the rush rush scenario, or to call the company directly - and say "I spoke to X at this expo"...can you honor this...Unless you are walking away with the product at hand
jody, yep that's what i'll do in the future, the issue with the dinghy and the MSO is the whole "global economy" dinghy built in France, BoatersWorld Hq'd in i don't know where, and my local Boatersworld franciesee (sp) gettin' my angry phone calls.

And Mr. Moderator, nope my Brewers, a mixed marina as i call it, has over 12 vacant slips, and has taken to signage and free WiFi to entice.

saddly i resort to my state's attorney general's office to interviene. rather a shame, these carnies have to be dragged to court, over an piece of paper the MSO..