Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Any other northerners getting the itch?

It was 60 degrees today, and the wind is perfect for the rest of the week, I want to go sailing! Too bad the water is 34 degrees Still have a good month to wait I think. I'm aiming for May 1st, and go out in my parka. Sometimes I hate living in the northeast. My first race (Racing cars is my other hobby, sailing is for relaxing, no racing thanks is not until June.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Itch? I'm scratching. Splashed last Friday and leaving New Haven Ct for NYC Sat AM - easy couple of 6 hour legs. The Pri-Mate hates this first of the season run as it's usually wet, cold and overcast. (Saturday is predicted to be NE 15-20 - great angle and, surprise, raining.) Me - I just like being on the water. Only about 14 more things on my last minute list and I can do 'em all while underway; like most of us, I'm happy puttering around on boat stuff. Good luck for May Day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 04-03-2008

CS271409 is on a distinguished road
Last weekend there was still over a mile of ice bunched up against the shore on the Ontario side of Lake Huron. It didn't stop me from working in a light shirt to pull the winter cover off and sit basking in the sun. It's been a warm week here with some flooding due to fast melting and rain so that will disappear quickly. I was emailing a friend this week who started her first shift of the season at the Canadian Coast Guard Station in Tobermory. THAT would be chilly.
I'll be starting my seacock replacement spring project this weekend under sunny skies and 14deg C. We should be launching about the first week of May.
Old 04-03-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
ooooooooooo Buffalo. I was raised in Olean, New York. Went to school in Williamsville. I remember how happy we were if summer occurred on a weekend.

We used to say we had four seasons, Almost Winter, Winter, Winter almost over, and Road Repair. It's why we sold the house, the cars and the kids, and moved aboard. Currently we are in Maryland - the water is about 50 degrees. And we are itching, too. I can't imagine 34 degree water in April. I can remember it, but I can't imagine it. Yecccch! Sell out - move south - you've got a bad latitude!

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 04-03-2008

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
I remember driving south down I-75 in Florida one December afternoon on our way to Ft. Myers when we passed over a long bridge. We could see the bay waters almost as far west as the ocean. Even though it was a beautiful day, with temps close to 70, there wasn't a boat in sight.

When I commented upon this to my wife, she reminded me that the folks in FL enjoy a 365-day boating season and don't have to hurry down to the marina every day it's above freezing!

Thanks for reminding me why I don't live up north anymore.
Old 04-03-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
If it weren't for my wife (love o' my life) I would NEVER spend a day below freezing....but alas....

I DO envy you southerners!
Old 04-03-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyesailor View Post
If it weren't for my wife (love o' my life) I would NEVER spend a day below freezing....but alas....

I DO envy you southerners!
Yeah, me either. But her job is the one that pays the big bills and can't be dupicated easily elsewhere, now I on the otherhand can go just about anywhere, get a job in a matter of days, and probably make a little more money. Other than the long winters, I like it here. Did I mention a slip at the marina 3 miles away cost $668...for the season? There are benefits.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 04-03-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
no offense....but it IS Buffalo...

I'm southern Ohio and it's too far north for me...

Either of us could find work south...me/Contractor...she/Hairdresser...

but she's tied to family/white picket fence...etc....

I'm on my own next Jan/Feb/Mar....in the Bahamas....little boat, little expense account....LOTSA clear, warm water...AHHHHH.......
Old 04-03-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
We got out a couple of times in February. March was a bust though with Easter, rain/snow storms and what not. Cool weather with rain showers forecast for this weekend but we just can't wait any longer. We'll wear the long johns and hope for a dry spell long enough for a camp fire Saturday night. Beer is better by a camp fire.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-03-2008
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
I've been driving up to the boat, which is on the hard, for the past few weekends just to take a look. Getting the itch is an understatement. The ice has left the channel, but we still have snow on the ground. Another 6 weeks still......till then, I'll just keep buying more boat stuff.