Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2002

LarryLevine is on a distinguished road
SAILING WITH DOGS

We are looking for a small dog for daysailing and some bay and coastal cruising. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with different breeds?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2002

svsheela is on a distinguished road
SAILING WITH DOGS

I have a 7yr.old Cockapoo who has been my sailing partner all these years. I originally chose her because Cockapoos don''t shed, I''ve been on boats where their dogs do shed, not very pleasant. My dog has turned out to be a great sailing dog, she loves to swim and adapted very well to our cruising/sailing life. Most cockapoos usually don''t weigh over 20 lbs., mine is a little overweight,my bad. Take care, Sheela
Old 06-13-2002
sailor

ndsailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ndsailor
SAILING WITH DOGS

Schipperke''s are known as barge dogs in Europe, they keep rats off the canal barges. I''ve also read of one cruiser that lost one over the side when 15 miles from port and didn''t realize she was missing until arriving in port. Fishermen found her 6 miles out swimming toward port, picked her up and returned her to her owners.
Old 06-11-2009

NALAJEAN is on a distinguished road
Smile sailingwithdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLevine View Post
We are looking for a small dog for daysailing and some bay and coastal cruising. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with different breeds?
HI LARRYLEVINE,
WE HAVE A TOYMANCHESTER TERRIER SHE IS GREAT SMALL 10 LBS AS AN ADULT SMART ..SHE DOES VERRY WELLON BORD.WHEN WE GO A SHORE SHE COMES TO. PEARL HAS BEEN TO SOME OF THE NICEST REST. DR .AND ANY WHERE YOU CAN THINK OF .HOTELS THAT DO OR DO'T LET DOGS .PEARL HAS ALARGE DOG BAG LAYS IN AN TRAVLES SHE DOES NOT HAVE TO STAY ON BORD BY HER SELF.SHE IS GERAT WITH KIDS ,SHORT HAIR DOES NOT SHED GROOMING NAILES AND EARS THAT IT . WE GOT PEARL FROM AND WE HAD ANOTHER RADAR..MALE WE GOT THEM FROM JIM AND PAUL SHUMAKER SCARLET'S MANCHESTER TERRIERS THEY HAVE GREAT DOGS AND LOVE THEM. THERE PH. IS 540-899-0147 CALL THEM YOU WILL BE VERRY HAPPY LOOK THEM UP WITH A.K.C.ORG
GOOD LUCK

Last edited by NALAJEAN; 06-11-2009 at 01:13 AM. Reason: SPELLED A WORD
Old 06-11-2009

NALAJEAN is on a distinguished road
Smile sailingwithdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLevine View Post
HI LARRYLEVINE,
WE HAVE A TOYMANCHESTER TERRIER SHE IS GREAT SMALL 10 LBS AS AN ADULT SMART ..SHE DOES VERRY WELLON BORD.WHEN WE GO A SHORE SHE COMES TO. PEARL HAS BEEN TO SOME OF THE NICEST REST. DR .AND ANY WHERE YOU CAN THINK OF .HOTELS THAT DO OR DO'T LET DOGS .PEARL HAS ALARGE DOG BAG LAYS IN AN TRAVLES SHE DOES NOT HAVE TO STAY ON BORD BY HER SELF.SHE IS GERAT WITH KIDS ,SHORT HAIR DOES NOT SHED GROOMING NAILES AND EARS THAT IT . WE GOT PEARL FROM AND WE HAD ANOTHER RADAR..MALE WE GOT THEM FROM JIM AND PAUL SHUMAKER SCARLET'S MANCHESTER TERRIERS THEY HAVE GREAT DOGS AND LOVE THEM. THERE PH. IS 540-899-0147 CALL THEM YOU WILL BE VERRY HAPPY LOOK THEM UP WITH A.K.C.ORG
GOOD LUCK
Old 06-11-2009
SailGunner

cesarid is on a distinguished road
We love our Australian Terrier. He loves the water. I think you can see Terriers are good boat dogs. They don't shed and are small (ours is 20lbs - looks like a big Yorkie). Our breed does like exercise which is great for us - he runs 5 miles/day with us.
Old 06-11-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
I have mixed feelings about dogs on boats, as well as in homes. Many owners do NOT treat their animals right, and that often turn them into annoyances - if not dangers - for the rest of us. And it really pisses me off when the dog on the neighbors boat thinks that our boat is it's own turf too, and scares the sh.t out of my kids!
Having said that, I do believe that a Terrier is a good dog for boats, even though they tend to be a bit noisy at times.

BTW: "Don't shed"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarid View Post
We love our Australian Terrier. He loves the water. I think you can see Terriers are good boat dogs. They don't shed and are small (ours is 20lbs - looks like a big Yorkie). Our breed does like exercise which is great for us - he runs 5 miles/day with us.
Old 06-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
most dogs shed fur, leaving piles of it where ever they've been... Some breeds don't shed fur to any major degree, like Portugese water dogs... and are often far better from a house-keeping standpoint and also from an allergy standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JomsViking View Post
I have mixed feelings about dogs on boats, as well as in homes. Many owners do NOT treat their animals right, and that often turn them into annoyances - if not dangers - for the rest of us. And it really pisses me off when the dog on the neighbors boat thinks that our boat is it's own turf too, and scares the sh.t out of my kids!
Having said that, I do believe that a Terrier is a good dog for boats, even though they tend to be a bit noisy at times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-11-2009

saltydawg is on a distinguished road
As for breeds -- any breed is fine. I would go with something (1) not too active (2) not too hairy (3) small enough to handle but big enough to protect the boat.

Our dog (50 pound mutt from the shelter) was a great protector of our boat and a fabulous companion both cruising and living aboard. But it comes with a price. They use extra fresh water (for drinking and washing). They require LOTS of extra cleaning below and above decks. Your inland travel is limited by getting a dog sitter or finding places that allow Fido to tag along.

Looking back, I loved cruising with our dog when we did. There are many people we would have never met and experiences we wouldn't have had without the mutt. But I am sure there are more we would have had without him. We were young (27) and it was our first time cruising, so we didn't think anything of it.

Now at 36 on our second boat with an almost 5 year old, we're glad we'll be casting off without any pets.

Old 06-11-2009
SailGunner

cesarid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JomsViking View Post

That's right, don't shed. Unlike our friends that bring their dog in our cockpit once in a while - hair everywhere. Also, our Aussie does not bark. The only slam I have on the guy is he was the most difficult dog to potty train and for his first couple of years he got car sick - but not anymore. My next challenge is in a couple of years when we coastal cruise for several months is to get him to go potty on deck (probably bow) when we can't get to shore.