Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008

shaley is on a distinguished road
Can anyone shed some light on Sabre 32/34 comparison

Am new to posting threads to Sail Net, so here goes...

When I look closely at the specifications for these two Sabres, I find that the 32 has a LWL of 26'2" and a beam of 10'6". The 1984 S34 has a LWL OF 26'3" and a beam of 10'6". From the lines I see on the company spec sheets, it appears all the length was added to the bow overhang. There are ballast, sail area and displacement differences. Sail area of the 32 is 481 sqft and the 34 is 507. There are some cabin area increases I suppose because they moved the cabin trunk forward a bit.

Here is my Question. What significant benefits would come with the 34 over the 32? Is it primarily the additional sail area and therefore faster speed?

Thanks for any comments

Shaley
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
I would think that the extra heft of the 34 would benefit from the greater sail area in light air. The waterlines are nearly identical, and at a glance, it appears their speed potential would be as well.
Old 04-06-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
Bigger is Better.....

Okay, not exactly correct, but the 34 Mark I offers a little more head room (1") and 2" longer berths in the V than the 32. After that, the boats appear to be very much identical. Same cockpit size, same beam, and water line. Yes, the 34 is sligthtly longer, but the wetted surface will be about the same on both boats as is the ballast and drafts as you already know. I am perplexed on why Sabre chose to make and overlap the 32 and the 34 Mark I and the 32 and 34 Mark II in model years. The 32 comes at the tail end of the 34 Mark I years and the beginning of the 34 Mark II years. 34 Mark I stopped in 85 and the Mark II was started in 86.

I have never been in a 32, but the 34 is tight from the head forward. Also the cabin sole in the head/v-berth entrance is slightly curved up (ie not flat) in the 34 Mark I.

Based on the measurements, my guess would be what you are already thinking, everything else being the same except for a little more sail area, the 34 should faster than the 32.

DrB
Old 04-07-2008

Thanks very much for your replies. One more follow up question. Is there any safety factor the 34 might have over the 32 in bigger seas? Might the overhang provide any better comfort or control in heavier seas or more choppy waters?

Shaley
Old 04-07-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
There are some members who feel overhangs are useless except in protecting the hull from the anchor. However, the other camp says they provide reserve bouyancy, which yields it's own rewards. Besides, I for one, think they look better. So, what's the deal? You lookin' at buying either ?
Old 04-08-2008

Exactly. I am looking at both boths for possible purchase. Also have looked at Tartan 34s. I do a lot of coastal cruising in southern New England, but hope to do more extended coastal crusing down the road.
Old 04-21-2008

sabresausalito is on a distinguished road
Sabre 34 / 32

I own a Sabre 34 MkI and have been very happy with it. I struggled with the exact issues that you brought up and the headroom and comfort were noticable in the 34.

All that beng said....Sabre makes a great boat and I would buy the cleanest / best example of either that you can find. I looked at 12 boats in 9 states....not a typo...and bought a freshwater 34. A lot of the 34's in NE and mid-atlantic have been raced hard for many years and there are a few ares of specific concern which I would be happy to send you.
Matt
Old 04-21-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Try using this site for more detailed comparison #s.

Sail Calculator Pro v3.52 - 2000+ boats

Then buy the Tartan!
Old 04-21-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Anybody got a calculator like this for multi's?
Old 04-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Chuckles-

There is a multihull site, but I believe it is only on a paid subscription basis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.