Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008

Stevyboy is on a distinguished road
My first Reef...

So Saturday here in the SF Bay the winds were about 20 knots for the most part of the day so I decided to head out with reefed sails. I haven't done it before so I was a little nervous to see how well my reef would work considering my 1973 Cal 27 is only set up with two reef grommet's one at the Clew of the sail and one at the aft end of the sail. Surprisingly it worked out just fine. Although I have a few questions about it. Because I only had those two points of the sail that were tied down it gave my sail more of a pocket which changed the sail shape; is this ok? should I consider having my sail tailored with new grommets? If it is ok should I change the angle of which the wind hits the sail?

Another question I had was about the boom. I haven't noticed it before but when sailing reefed the boom was tweeked sideways. Are booms supposed to be able to swivel?

Thanks for the help guys...

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2008
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
Although I don't fully understand your reefing system, to reduce sail area in high winds consists in :
a) reducing the sail area
b) flattening the sail to reduce force on the sail

so when you say that after reefing, your sail had 'more of a pocket', something is not working correctly. See if you can tighten the clew in order to improve the shape of the sail to have less/no pocket for high wind conditions.
Old 04-07-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
The aft reefing line should be coming from the aft end of the boom thus acting as an outhaul to flatten the sail as well as pulling that aft cringle DOWN to the boom.
Old 04-07-2008
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
The aft reefing line should be coming from the aft end of the boom thus acting as an outhaul to flatten the sail as well as pulling that aft cringle DOWN to the boom.
Although on most boats I have sailed, the clew and tack reef points will still leave a little "baggage" and maybe a sagging "pocket" at foot of the sail along the mast unless you tie up the sail to make it look and lay better.

In my opinion, it is not that important. When you are reefing you are simply trying to reduce sail area, so having the optimal sail shape for maximal power is not the issue. The real issue would be how did your boat handle and perform under the reef? If the boat performed well and was easy to handle, you've got it.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 04-07-2008

GreenEgg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Barlow View Post
Although I don't fully understand your reefing system, to reduce sail area in high winds consists in :
a) reducing the sail area
b) flattening the sail to reduce force on the sail

so when you say that after reefing, your sail had 'more of a pocket', something is not working correctly. See if you can tighten the clew in order to improve the shape of the sail to have less/no pocket for high wind conditions.
Could it be that his grommets are too far apart?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, our boom rotates a bit in a heavy wind.
Old 04-07-2008

Stevyboy is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. I'm going to have to check out my reefing system again to make sure the lines are all ran correctly to ensure that when I'm pulling on the reefing line the sail gets pulled to the aft end of the boom.

The boat did sail really well though under it's reef and having a furling jib taken about 3/4 the way out the boat felt like it would on a day of 12 knots of wind with the sails completly out. I was just conserned about breaking something. Should I be?

Steve
Old 04-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Stevy-

You probably don't have two reefing cringles at the luff of the sail. It is far more likely that your sail only has a single reef. The lower of the two "cringles" is probably for a cunningham.

Slab reefing reefs always have a tack and clew cringle at the luff and leech respectively.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-07-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
If you have two reefing lines at the luff (one lower and one higher), then you should have two reefing cringles.
Old 04-08-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
If your boom twists you may have the leech reefing line setup wrong. It should start on one side of the boom at an eye pad (likely), go up to the leech cringle and down to a block slightly aft of the leech reefing cringle then run forward along the side of the boom. When you tighten that reefing line, the sail should come down square on the boom. If the reefing line runs up from one side it will put a twist in the boom when you tighten it.
Some goosenecks allow booms to swivel so that rolls can be taken in the mainsail. That would be quite an older setup.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 04-08-2008
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevyboy View Post
The boat did sail really well though under it's reef and having a furling jib taken about 3/4 the way out the boat felt like it would on a day of 12 knots of wind with the sails completly out. I was just conserned about breaking something. Should I be?

Steve
Nope, don't worry about breaking something. Things will break sometimes, but it rarely is helped by worrying, and in the conditions you describe, etc, everything sounds perfectly normal. Reefing is cool eh, kinda neat to have a well mannered boat in 20 knots. Next on the menu, heaving to. Practice that next time you are out reefed in 20 knots, it will help build your confidence in your boat and yourself to know you can stop sailing and rest anytime you need even in 20 knots.