Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008

ChaseHeilman is on a distinguished road
www.ChaseHeilman.com

Thanks

Last edited by ChaseHeilman; 09-27-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: It is showing up at the top of my google search, can we just delete it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Being a sailor and a (former) photographer I was interested in your post. Looked at your site ( chaseheilman.com ). Looks like it's brand new - lots of work but always fun and interesting.

I have found that there are many trite things to photograph - there are 37 trillion pix of the Thomas Point Light. Forget that kind of thing. What I think would be interesting are pictures of the watermen on the Chesapeake. The are, to a man, colorful waterfront characters. They are also a dying breed.

On your site you had an interesting angle on a handrail - close up, black and white - different. With that kind of an eye, the watermen, plying their trade could make an interesting photobook, calendar, museum art photos.

Some of the old working marinas could make interesting subjects. Hartge Yacht Yard in Galesville dates back to around late 1800's. With two railways, many old classic boats and more 'colorful waterfront characters. Right at this moment we have a buy boat on one of the railways; a Concordia Yawl that was recently restored (here at the yard). I personally did some of the varnish work on her. There is a fantastic 1917 Consolidated NY commuter boat - owned by the yard and worked on whenever things are slow. Again, I personally have applied many gallons of varnish on her over the years.

And Hartge's isn't the only old working marina - try Oxford. And I'm sure there are others. But they won't last too many years longer. Great subjects for black and white - maybe a little sepia tone for nostalgia's sake.

The waterbirds, Osprey, heron, will always smile for a good photographer.

The Fourth of July parade in Galesville just reeks of Norman Rockwell. No bands, just small town people showing off. If you've got a new dress, you're in the parade. New riding lawnmower - bring 'er down. Twelve horses decorated with tinsel, an antique truck and an old car that needs a new muffler, all in the parade. It's so damn 1950's. This is a true small waterfront community. And it begs to be photographed properly. Because too soon it will all turn into condos and four-lanes, and type A's.

Crap, never mind. I'm getting my camera back out. Stay away from here. I hate competition.

Seriously, bring your camera and tripod, an open mind, a love of people and the artistic opportunities are everywhere you look.

Good Luck. Say hello when you're in Galesville.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-08-2008

papazulu is on a distinguished road
Chase, the one thing a good photo is about is unstaged, naturally occuring action or still shots , spurr of the moment ,certain time of day shots that cant be duplicated. I recall inthe 70s or 80s they did a book compiled of A DAY IN THE LIFE OF AMERICA where famous photographers spanned out across the U.S. and took random shots of people and places for a 24 hour period. You and a few others doing that for the sailing community would make a nice piece.
Old 04-08-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
When doing something as creative as photography, always take pictures of what moves YOU. Things that you enjoy. In our magazine, smack dab in the center of every issue, is the "Underway" section. It's photos sent in by cruisers from around the world. It's also the most popular section of the mag. I think it's not because of all the "another-beautiful-South-Pacific-Sunset" shots, but rather the majority of pics are of people - usually friends or family - absolutely enjoying themselves and having the time of their lives. It's the human emotions that make those shots really work. We have the same segment in our TV show with photos put to music, and it's the same thing. I can't help but smile at all the smiling, happy faces in those shots. For me, other than the whole commune with nature thing, that's the essence of sailing. The pure enjoyment... Of course, kids and pets sailing always strikes a nice chord.

Larry and Susan had good things to say about content. About lining up work... As far as brokers go, yes, a lot of them need help taking pictures. But the reason they take their own shots is because they can't afford to hire someone to do it. With magazines, that's an even tougher nut to crack. Probably the same with sailing web sites, too. Most have their favorites or their own staff photogs. Not to say you can't wedge your way in, though. In order to do so, you'll probably have to be persistent. From a professional standpoint, everything you send in has to be top drawer, from composition to all the subtle technical nuances.

But find your own angle. Find what moves you and makes you feel good when you look at it. Chances are pretty good that will translate to the viewer...

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 04-09-2008
vagrant

bobwebster is on a distinguished road
Sailing Anarchy has some good photos on the news page and the photos forum. Those may give you some ideas.

Sailing Anarchy Home Page

Sailing Anarchy Forums -> Photo Anarchy

Old 04-10-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I am new to the forums
Welcome

Quote:
but I have a couple of questions (and surely more to come).
Good. The regulars here love to offer advice. You will be very popular

Quote:
I am planing on sailing with a friend for quite some time
This is good. It will give you a greater appreciation for the beauty of the world and the total insignificance of man

Quote:
, but I want to begin photographing the sailing community.
Why ? Is this to be a money-making exercise ? Are you going to capture us in vaguely compromising situations and then try to sell us the evidence ?

Quote:
This summer I plan on being on the Eastern Seaboard in the Chesapeake and up around Maine.
A truly lovely part of the world...

Quote:
I was hoping for a list of good Marinas,
'good' is a subjective term. What makes a marina good from your perspective ?

Quote:
some boat brokers to work with
what kind of work ?? I'd be careful about publicising any association with brokers, they can be a singulalry unsavory group of people.

Quote:
and magazines that are interested in good imagery.
I am not aware of any that are interested in bad imagery...

Quote:
I am hoping to compile a good contact list before I head off so I can be well prepared for the journey.
You need to be more specific and provide a more compelling reason why I should provide the names/numbers of acquaintances to someone I have never met who posts on an internet bulletin board.

Quote:
If you could please give me some ideas of things that sailers LOVE to see,
I LOVE to see pictures of scantily clad attractive strangers, extra zeros on a bank statement, the tailights of my family's cars as they leave after extended visits...

Quote:
and some things to avoid photographing.
anything under copyright, unattractive scantily clad strangers, precocious children doing inane things

Quote:
Thanks for your time and I appreciate all your advice.
You're welcome and remember that most free advice is worth roughly what it costs...

Quote:
Have a wonderful day
...and you too !

Quote:
and I will be checking for responses
. Hmm, do I detect a vaguely threatening tone in this last phrase ???

Last edited by Sailormann; 04-10-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-10-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
LOL...Classic..
Old 04-10-2008

ChaseHeilman is on a distinguished road
Wonderful

:: Chase Heilman :: Sailing Photography :: Photojornalism :: Editorial :: Caribbean :: Yachts :: East Coast :: Boats ::

Last edited by ChaseHeilman; 09-27-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: I need to change my username i think.
Old 04-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailormann--

I worry about you...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-11-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Sailormann--

I worry about you...
The professionals have assured me I am no danger to myself or anyone else