Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
I leave mine in the winch, because my beer is in the handle pocket and the empties are in the cubby under the winch.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I leave mine in the winch, because my beer is in the handle pocket and the empties are in the cubby under the winch.
I'll nominate as the BEST reason to do so... cruise on!

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-10-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
FINALLY, a voice of reason.
Old 04-10-2008
not-so-old salt

tonybinTX is on a distinguished road
As a newly trained sailor - basic keelboat, basic cruising and bareboat classes in 4th quarter last year - I was trained to take the winch handles out. However, the first time I raced with my BK instructor, he left the leeward winch handle in the winch to trim the jib in moderate/shifty winds.

When I pointed out the conflict in my brain, he told me there was a difference between sailing and racing. We had the same conversation about sailing by the lee a few weeks later.
Old 04-10-2008

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybinTX View Post
...When I pointed out the conflict in my brain, he told me there was a difference between sailing and racing. We had the same conversation about sailing by the lee a few weeks later.
Exactly! When there's a conflict between good seamanship and racing, seamanship often yields. A racer might carry too much sail area because he doesn't want to take the time necessary to change sails, even though reducing sail area would normally be the seamanlike thing to do. He might sail by the lee for a short time, because he wants to get the boat into a patch of stronger wind. Racers do all sorts of things that they would not think of doing while cruising. They can get away with doing some of those things, because, unlike cruisers, who are often more casual, they're intensely focussed on what they're doing, and they usually have skilled crew to help them sail the boat. That's not to say that racing sailors are reckless. The most skilled, careful sailors I know are racers, but, like NASCAR drivers, or racehorse jockeys, they are often willing to take calculated risks, and they have the skill to get away with it (usually ).
Old 04-10-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
There is an old saying: "Racing parts are expendable." If you are going to race, you are going to break things. When racing the goal is to go fast and win, not preserve the gear/rig for eternity.
Old 04-10-2008

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Funny, I always wondered what those long plastic winch handle pockets were until someone told me, then I wondered what for and where would I mount it because I was running rather short of bulkhead space to mount anything further.
I always practiced what TB & Dog did, soon as I finished a tack, move it over to the windward winch in readiness for the next tack. It locks in place and floats if it goes over, though I doubt if I'd find it again if it did. It is not in the way and now that I have almost everything in place for singlehanded sailing I have less reason to go forward. I still have my metal non-floating handle below and even over the few years I used it, never lost it. Once the sails are down though it and everything else I don't need goes below or into a nylon suitcase that travels with me to and from the marina.
Old 04-10-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
I also do not use the tailing features of my winches too often as I generally cleat off for the most part...
Jody that's like owning a Lexus but taking your horse and buggy on the long road trip???? ST's are the BOMB!!!!

P.S. Cleating off takes more time to do and undo than removing a winch handle to let the sheet go.. That being said, I always remove mine unless I'm single handing and in a "tweaking mood"...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-10-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I have four wench ...I mean winch handles, but usually only use two. I generally leave one in the leeward side, and the other is in its pocket. When we tack the one in the winch comes out and into the pocket, and the one in the pocket comes out and into the new leeward winch.
Old 04-12-2008
endeavour 37'

peteramc is on a distinguished road
I think its a good idea to keep winch handles off when not in use. I have locking winch handles and still keep them in their pocket when not in use. I also have a spare just in case this one goes overboard.