Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008

Booda is on a distinguished road
New member- Saying Hi....

Well, I've been lurking for awhile, reading some posts, it seems like you have a very active group here.

I have a little Cabin Crusier Powerboat that I have been using for fishing and taking to Catalina Island for a few overnight stays for the last 7 years, with my girlfriend, she never goes fishing with me but loves to take the boat to Catalina, we stay 3 or 4 days and we love it but she thinks it is to small and that we need a bigger boat(I'm a lucky guy), and now we are putting the powerboat up for sale and looking at Sailboats.

20 years ago, I did a little sailing, Belonged to a Sailing Club and crewed on a few race boats. I'm taking a couple of Sailing refresher courses to brush up my skills, it is all coming back pretty quick, while we look at different boats to get an idea on want we want to get.

Unfortunately, we are having a difficult time deciding what to get, I say, get a smaller 30 - 32 footer, something I can handle by myself and costs a little less to maintain and slip. My girlfriend wants a bigger boat 34 to 38, more room, more comfort for family and friends. So, we are looking and discussing.
I have been on lots of boats and understand that all boats are compromises, but hopefully when I see the right boat, I'll know.

Well, I just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for their posts and contributions, this is a very informative board and I have learned quite a bit so far.

Pat
Southern California
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Well, I've been lurking for awhile, reading some posts, it seems like you have a very active group here.

I have a little Cabin Crusier Powerboat that I have been using for fishing and taking to Catalina Island for a few overnight stays for the last 7 years, with my girlfriend, she never goes fishing with me but loves to take the boat to Catalina, we stay 3 or 4 days and we love it but she thinks it is to small and that we need a bigger boat(I'm a lucky guy), and now we are putting the powerboat up for sale and looking at Sailboats.

20 years ago, I did a little sailing, Belonged to a Sailing Club and crewed on a few race boats. I'm taking a couple of Sailing refresher courses to brush up my skills, it is all coming back pretty quick, while we look at different boats to get an idea on want we want to get.

Unfortunately, we are having a difficult time deciding what to get, I say, get a smaller 30 - 32 footer, something I can handle by myself and costs a little less to maintain and slip. My girlfriend wants a bigger boat 34 to 38, more room, more comfort for family and friends. So, we are looking and discussing.
I have been on lots of boats and understand that all boats are compromises, but hopefully when I see the right boat, I'll know.

Well, I just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for their posts and contributions, this is a very informative board and I have learned quite a bit so far.

Pat
Southern California
Welcome aboard Pat. Catalina Island is fun. I have some great pics from there and trips back to San Diego. One time I went across and saw the water rippling. It was dolphins... must have been hundreds of them in the largest pod I have ever seen. Also saw the Navy cruise by us in a air boat, and super pics of aircraft carriers. It is a fun place to sail.

Depending on what you wnat in a boat, and what you have to spend, you can get some recc's here for boats. Just let us know. You will get a lot of opinions (smile).

All the best,

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Welcome to sailnet. Please read the post in my sig to get the most out of your time here.

The best advice I've seen on buying a boat is that the "PRIMARY USE IS PRIMARY". That means, if you're going to be using the boat as a couple 90% of the time and inviting guests aboard for week or two every third month...then get a boat that is best suited to you two as a couple and figure out how to fit the guests as needed rather than buying a boat that is suited to you and your guests but will be too big for you most of the time. Also, don't buy a boat you don't love...

Does your girlfriend understand that a larger boat is often much more expensive to maintain and own than a smaller boat. The cost of ownership and maintenance doubles with every additional 10' in length or so. IMHO, if she were your wife and having to help pay for the boat, her say would hold a lot more weight in my book...but she's a girlfriend, and you don't say whether she'll be contributing to the new boat or not.

What are your future sailing plans?? What is your budget??? How much sailing experience do you have??? How much skill at maintaining and repairing a sailboat do you have?? All of these will have an effect on what boats are probably good choices.

If you're planning on just coastal cruising... buying any of the 30-35' coastal cruisers would probably be just fine. If your future plans include some bluewater passages, then you might want something a bit more robustly built.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-09-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Welcome, Booda!

(I'm not sure I should say that out loud)

I sailed the Southern California waters in the 80s.. ( In fact, a trip aboard a friend's Cal 2-24 to Catalina was the reason I decided to move there!)

The winds are mostly gentle and consistent, and the sea life sure is great. I had many greetings from dolphins, was harassed by a sea lion, and stalked by sharks. I also had a gray whale surface 50 feet off my transom.

I think that once you get your boat, you'll get to see so much more as you will be traveling slower. It's just a wonderful place to sail. And, eventually, you'll get used to being stalked by sharks.

I think that your boat purchase decision may be dependent on what size slip you can get. I understand it's still pretty crowded and expensive there.

I'll bet some of the locals will chime in on what the best way is to get a slip. When I bought my boat in Marina Del Rey, the slip was transferrable to me, which was critical, as I planned to be a "sneak-aboard".

At any rate, welcome, and we are glad to have you!

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 04-09-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Halo..mine namen ist Inga ich am of Sweden...

Ich liebe man in power boot,,,canz you postz photz?? Bite??

Mine Engrish ist nicht very good..I am lonely woman.ya??

Ich Love World peace, und friendship, und trees, und crazy sex...

..nicht forget your photoz

Inga
Old 04-09-2008
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Isn't that the same Inge that trapped Governor Spitzer??????????

Look out Booda, Our favorite Port-a-gee fisherma is trolling for your photo!

LOLOL

Welcome aboard
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 04-09-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to the looney bin. Don't forget to buckle-up.
Old 04-09-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Welcome Booda, can't add much to whats already been said about the sailing and ( I'm sure you are already aware of the ) marine life in the So. Ca. waters.

How big is your PB, is it in the 30 - 40 ft range ??

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-09-2008

Booda is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the replies.

My Girlfriend and I have been together for 12 years, lived together for 10, we live in her house, so she has a say in everything and that is good, we are a team.

I love California, I grew up here, fishing, Diving, Boating. The weather is great and when you get away from shore, it isn't that crowded.

We have a 26 foot Cabin Crusier, it is a little small, I think we have out grown it after 7 years and with the price of gas, looking for something a little larger and maybe with a little more range, definitely going to other Channel Islands is a possibily and different local Harbors, Mexico is a possibility but I'm not sure about that. Slips are hard to come by, already looking into that, but they can be found.

Got a couple of calls on my Power Boat for sale, it is tough right now with the price of gas and the uncertainity of the economy but I priced it to sell, it was my first boat that I kept in the water, I learned a lot from it, it was a fixer upper, so I know a little about what to look for and expect.

We have looked at a few Boats:

32' Islander (very clean, well equiped)
34' Cal (neglected, pretty beat up)
30' Erickson (also well equiped, pretty clean)
34' Catalina (Nice, had everything)
32' Gulf (Well Equiped, but it had some problems)
32' Bayfield (Nice Boat, Well equiped)
35' Cal (Nice big boat, wasn't well equip and needed some work)

As you can see we are looking at a range of boats and sizes to get an idea what is out there.

So, the search continues.

Pat
Old 04-09-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard Pat.........I think you're gonna like it here.....

Inga........I think I like the cut of your Jib.......we should chat sometime..