Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Finally TDWombat sails in Portugal..

Man...what a ride we had today.....started off well, finished in hell...winds and seas were bad on the return home.

As I told you guys before, we were hit for 5 days by a freak strom this week, that even allowed the 1st ever tornadoe to touch Portuguese land...a thing we have never seen....the seas have been very very high and bad and we had 160km/h winds...

The TD has been visiting monuments as we waited the weather to improve a little..this morning..we saw the sun, the winds were around 20 to 22 kts in the morning...so I got the Wombat and off we went...

We started of in 18 knots apparent from the 65deg, allowing us to sail a steady 10 knots boat speed, TD reached the 11 knots every now and then, and even called his wife at 11 knots....

We headed for Lisbon, and back, a 35 to 38 mile round trip...the forecasts all said the wind would die in the PM (yeah right).

Unfortunately as the day progressed, so did the wind and on the return home, the wind shifted, the Nortada kicked in earlier and we ended the day runing away from a squall and a hughe black cloud (we beat the cloud as we were heading West and it was moving south), the wind was constant 23 apparent, gusting up to 26 to 28 apparent sometimes a bit more.

The true wind was around 19 to 25 knots seas were very erratic with a lot of white caps in the end. The current was also very strong. Both from the nose, where else...

We ended up reefing once the main, still not enough, reefed the genoa too, still not enough...then I decided no need to punish the boat, and break something, I hate reefing, and am not used to sailing like that, I was not at all confortable with that, and asked TD to head into the wind as I lowerd the sails, besides, we had drifted to dangerously close to the shoals of the coast of Lisbon, where the waves are like a beach...I am not risking nothing.., specially hurting TD and myself, so we did the last 7 miles of the 35 we sailed, under power in heavy heavy winds, as the storm that left us yesterday seemed it was returning. So better safe than sorry...sails down iron sail on and we ran home, for shelter...we docked in those winds and 2 dock men helped keeping my baby safe from impacts...TD was very very handfull.

2 hours after we docked, the wind died completely...we did beat the squall.

TD is a very experienced sailor, with whom it is a pleasure to sail, he is collectd and pays attention and above all he does not do the same mistake twice.

Granted the sailing "vices" and the handling of my boat seems nice and smooth, but when the wind picks up, and she moves, she can bite back..which she did...

As he admited, its not the type of sailing he is used to, and my boat is not exactly a smooth cruiser, but I believe he loved it, for what my boat does and how it sails, which can't be hiden, even bt dodgers and lazy bags..I did love it for sure..and gained another friend...a real friend..

I hope he posts his experience on my boat and can tell you guys what he thinks.

Obrigado Andre!!!!

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Looks like a good day to be out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-11-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
It must have been bad if Alex tucked in a reef!

Looks like everybody had a fun time!

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 04-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Who knew that Gui even had reefs installed on his main...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-11-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Who knew that Gui even had reefs installed on his main...
I'm surprised.
Old 04-11-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like it was a great day Giu. I'm sure a lot of us wished we were there, I know I do.
Old 04-11-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Finally, some wind!

Good thing you had an Australian with you, Alex. They are used to excessive wind....
Old 04-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
AHAHAHAHA...25 knots and he takes the sails down and turns the motor on!!
Get a Tayana Portagee!!
...and you were saying it was fine for the Germans to go out in 35+???
Wombat...tell us the truth now...is Giu a wuss or not??
Old 04-11-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like fun....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-11-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
AHAHAHAHA...25 knots and he takes the sails down and turns the motor on!!
Get a Tayana Portagee!!
...and you were saying it was fine for the Germans to go out in 35+???
Wombat...tell us the truth now...is Giu a wuss or not??

Charlie's last adventure spooked him...he didn't want to damage his sails because they were bought from a german second hand store... However I find it ironic this time he has wind and no pictures of speed of Guiletta...hmmmm normally he would be posting that I think maybe Wombat is making him honest now!

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or